Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KINGSTON cw fares FOR £999 return!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
It just occurred to me that you are all trying to head to the Caribbean for hurricane season... Now, when you get your legs amputated by a telephone pole whizzing through the air, don't come running to me... Jus' sayin'...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by AJLondon
I agree.

On a different but related note, I also think plenty here might choose avoid Sandals resorts (in Kingston or anywhere else) for altogether different reasons.
Yes - so if you don't want to go to Sandals or Beaches - anywhere you'd recommend?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: baec, HHonours
Originally Posted by Scotthun
Prices were crazy Club was the cheapest seat. We have booked Sandals Royal Plantation but will need to sort out our transfers as they only transfer from MBJ
Sandals do transfer from KIN, we did it in Aug and others we know have also done it. SRP guests will get different transfers from the other sandals resorts

ss
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Yes - so if you don't want to go to Sandals or Beaches - anywhere you'd recommend?
Cayman airways flight to GCM then stay at the Ritz.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Booked for November 2013...

Oh oh, it all begins again!!!!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Scotthun
Prices were crazy Club was the cheapest seat. We have booked Sandals Royal Plantation but will need to sort out our transfers as they only transfer from MBJ
Outstanding choice. ^
It's not one of those 700-room, 5-pool, 3-discotheque establishments many people associate with Sandals resorts.
And they do transfer from KIN, albeit a longish journey.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l-jamaica.html

Only the lowest category rooms were available for our intended dates, everything else booked out. We decided the offer wasn't going to be tempting enough for the costs involved.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I agree.

On a different but related note, I also think plenty here might choose avoid Sandals resorts (in Kingston or anywhere else) for altogether different reasons.
Assume you are talking about their discriminatory rules, but didn't that end a few years ago?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by joejet
Cayman airways flight to GCM then stay at the Ritz.
Hmm - looks nice although perhaps a little outside my budget. I was actually looking at flying to Cuba (since apparently there are no boats ), but the only way seems to be via Panama for a fare that is almost more expensive than flying direct from London.

Our normal holidays tend not to be to spend a week in a hotel with a beach, but rather to travel around - trains, planes or automobiles. Is Jamaica place where the week-long cooped up in a gated resort is the only way to go? Or can you actually travel around independently and safely, seeing a bit more of the island?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I'd be surprised if there are no flights from Kingston to Havana. If not, cayman airways fly there many times a week from GCM. If you get the timing right you can hop to cayman then hop up to cuba for a cigar or two. Quite a few who cannot be bothered getting permission from the State Dept or wherever in the US drop by GCM to nip to Cuba. Make sure they do not stamp your passport if you ever want to go to the US....

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Hmm - looks nice although perhaps a little outside my budget. I was actually looking at flying to Cuba (since apparently there are no boats ), but the only way seems to be via Panama for a fare that is almost more expensive than flying direct from London.

Our normal holidays tend not to be to spend a week in a hotel with a beach, but rather to travel around - trains, planes or automobiles. Is Jamaica place where the week-long cooped up in a gated resort is the only way to go? Or can you actually travel around independently and safely, seeing a bit more of the island?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:49 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by RobDBA
Assume you are talking about their discriminatory rules, but didn't that end a few years ago?
Yes.

The company had a long-standing policy, dating from 1981, which banned gays from their "couples-only" resorts. The policy was variously stated by characterizing the accommodations as "resort for couples (heterosexual) only", or "Couples only. A couple is defined as one female adult and one male adult", "policies require male/female couples only", or "couples of the same gender are not accepted." Sandals' anti-gay policy received a great deal of publicity when stays at their resorts were offered as prizes in various promotions by companies such as Microsoft, Yahoo!, and US Airways in 1999.[9] Later reports indicated that some resorts also made no accommodations for the handicapped, prompting the ACLU to opine that companies offering Sandals stays as prizes, or otherwise doing business with Sandals resorts, might be the targets of lawsuits. The companies involved promptly severed their relationships with Sandals, stating they were unaware of its discriminatory practices.[10] Adverts for the company were banned from the London Underground in 2003 after public objections were raised.[11] Sandals ended its policy of refusing service to gay couples in August 2004 after further gay rights protests
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandals_Resorts

The only reason they moved away from the "heterosexual only" policy was when they started losing major advertising revenue and got negative publicity. I personally still wouldn't spend a penny there. YMMV.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by jcm9000
I'd be surprised if there are no flights from Kingston to Havana. If not, cayman airways fly there many times a week from GCM. If you get the timing right you can hop to cayman then hop up to cuba for a cigar or two. Quite a few who cannot be bothered getting permission from the State Dept or wherever in the US drop by GCM to nip to Cuba. Make sure they do not stamp your passport if you ever want to go to the US....
There don't seem to be. All I found was MBJ to Santiago de Cuba on Jamaica air shuttle, but their website denies the existence of these flights. You're right about Cayman Airways though - it's not a daily connection, and when I did a search i just picked the wrong days. Still - it's USD 500.

However, I now see an itinerary appearing - Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cuba - and fortunately I don't need permission from the US State Dept.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandals_Resorts

The only reason they moved away from the "heterosexual only" policy was when they started losing major advertising revenue and got negative publicity. I personally still wouldn't spend a penny there. YMMV.
I see where you are coming from but I think with the passing of time I would possibly assume that they may have caught up with the times in the last 9 years anyway. It seems unbelievable this kind of thing was happening so recently really, although I swing both ways so they would only have discriminated against me half the time depending on which flavour of partner I tried to take there
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:36 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
It seems unbelievable this kind of thing was happening so recently really
I know, that is what made it quite disconcerting.

although I swing both ways so they would only have discriminated against me half the time depending on which flavour of partner I tried to take there
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I personally still wouldn't spend a penny there. YMMV.
Generally I would agree with you, but the RP was, until a couple of years ago, one of the "Small Hotels of The World" - and possibly still is.

It may be under the Sandals banner now, but it's still Small - and super (if you like that sort of thing). Probably best for the older generation, as there's no Disco
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ironically, I remember BMI giving away a Sandals holiday in a competition, a competition their owner and CEO would not have been allowed to win. I seem to remember he apologised for it, not that he was directly responsible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.