Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any plans to introduce meal selection in advance (like QF and now AA)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

Does anyone know whether BA has any plans to do what QF and now AA are doing for advance meal selection?

We have upcoming flights with both QF and AA in a couple of weeks. Qantas now have:

http://selectonq.qantas.com/meals/

And yesterday I received a message from AA offering their version of it which is called 'Reserve Your Entrée'. Of course, I don't know why the American's call it an entrée given that it's supposed to be the 'main' course but that's another question.

Do people think it's a worthwhile enhancement or just a gimmick?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
One would think that with enough notice it could be more economical. But I have hunch that it might not be that straightforward...

There was a thread about there being only 3 CE passengers on a flight with only 3 CE meals loaded - each different in order to minimise food wastage. To me this seems to be a perfect example of where it could be used, ensuring there is no disappointment. The only downside from a passenger's point of view would be that you don't know what you'd feel like eating on your flight. There is also something about not knowing what might be on the menu, or maybe that's just me...

For a fee some airlines such as AF also offer pre-ordered food upgrades in economy. Given that BA introduced early seat selection options, this might be something we will see in the future.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I can certainly see the advantage especially on some shorthaul routes where in CE only 1 type of salad is offered, normally Salmon, which is fine if you like Salmon, typically resulting in me not taking the meal, or now pre-ordering a special meal, veg special meal will get you an egg salad.

Pre ordering would allow punters to select say, chicken, egg or salmon salad and have the small print stating that if you dont pre-order you will get XXX

Would save plenty of waste if you ask me

cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.