Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to purchase upgrade due to medical condition?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hello. I have been in contact with BAEC with this issue, but I can't seem to get the answers I am looking for. So hopefully someone here can help me out.

In a few weeks time I am flying OSL-LHR-LAX-KOA with BA and AA. A total travel time of about 25 hours. Unfortunately, I have for the last weeks been suffering with severe back pain. Yesterday I received results from an MRI scan and was diagnosed with a spinal disc prolapse. The pain worsens when I sit for longer periods. But I still need to travel, since I am visiting my parents which I have not seen for over a year.

So anyway, my parents are going to help me financially with an upgrade so my trip will be a little more comfortable. I asked BAEC if its possible to upgrade my ticket with cash or Avios and I received this reply:

I have checked your reservation details and found that you have made your booking in 'L' class. Therefore, I am sorry to have to disappoint you that you will be unable to upgrade your cabin class using Avios points.

If you wish to upgrade your class of travel using cash, you will need to contact you travel agent directly with your request.

Since my booking class is "L" I cannot upgrade with Avios. I have contacted my travel agent but they said they have no possibility to upgrade my ticket. They only sell tickets online, with no upgrade possibilities to offer.

So my questions are:

Is it likely I can purchase an upgrade at the airport on the day of travel, if there is availability and I explain my case? Or is it completely impossible due to my booking class? What are usually the costs of upgrading from economy to premium or business? The most important flight is LHR to LAX.

Btw, I used a travel agent because it was not possible to book the flights through BA's website. (If you try booking OSL to KOA, you will see it doesn't work)

Hope someone can help :-)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Step 1
Do you have a letter from the doctor that states you CANNOT sit for long periods and have to lie down. You probably need this to kick off the conversation with BA.

You comment about the pain needs to be backed up with some medical evidence.

The issue here is complicated by the fact that the journey involves
- a travel agent
- BA
- AA
It is going to be a nightmare to arrange and co-ordinate.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Step 1
Do you have a letter from the doctor that states you CANNOT sit for long periods and have to lie down. You probably need this to kick off the conversation with BA.
I am going back to my doctor next week and will ask for one. He knows I am travelling and it should be no problem.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:25 am

I think it's going to come down to a simple choice between paying for business class, or not travelling.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Do you have travel insurance?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Do you have travel insurance?
Yes, I have travel insurance. Not quite sure that they will cover this though.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help so far. My main concern is the longest flight, LHR-LAX.

I was thinking of approaching the gate there and asking for the possibility to purchase an upgrade.

It is not very important that my first and last flight is upgraded, as they are not as long in duration.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Step 1

You comment about the pain needs to be backed up with some medical evidence.

The issue here is complicated by the fact that the journey involves
- a travel agent
- BA
- AA
It is going to be a nightmare to arrange and co-ordinate.
The OP could try that but I suspect it will not result in anything different from the answers already received, though. More likely it will bring up the question of the OP's fitness to travel, and likely invalidating of travel insurance coverage etc.

If the ticket is completely non-changeable (which I am surprised about - surely it can be reissued after payment of the change fees and fare differences for WT+ or CW?) I don't think it will result in a complimentary upgrade in any case.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flwrpi
Yes, I have travel insurance. Not quite sure that they will cover this though.
Would your doctor provide a letter saying you cannot travel with your existing condition? If so, that might allow the cancellation under your travel insurance. Then, purchase the business class ticket.

You *might* be able to purchase an upgrade on the day, but I doubt you'll get any special treatment due to your medical condition - you'll have the same options as any other passenger. I'd not risk that.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:46 am

I'd check your insurance.
As long as this was diagnosed after the travel was booked then the insurance should kick in and you should be able to cancel.
You could then rebook in a higher class (as long as there is a spare seat).

I had a slipped disc a while ago and it was much more comfortable to sit upright than to recline or lie down though - sitting leaning slightly forwards worked best though its hard to get to sleep like that. I did a lot of night time walking around. Depending on when you first did the damage and when you're travelling your back may have settled down a bit, mine was ok enough to sit and lie down after a few months.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:48 am

Go to Central Customer Service Desk airside in T5 and purchase one for £189 to WT+.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:48 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:34 am
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Appreciate all the replies here.

I've just been on the phone with BA reservations, spoke to a lovely lady and she told me the following:

- They could change my booking and upgrade me to business (WT+ is not available), but it would cost me 3200£ extra. This is too expensive for me, even if I cancel my first booking with travel insurance.

- So instead she has put me in 52J (twin seat) which provides extra legroom on the side. She has also put in a note regarding my medical condition and told me to ask the BA personnel at T5 if I can get upgraded for cash or free due to my condition.

She was really sorry she could not help me more, but I am happy with her help and will take my chances at T5
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:22 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:04 am
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angatol
What dates are you travelling? An OSL-KOA flight on BA in December in WT+ can be purchased for £1480, and if you choose a day with CW upgrade availability you could be in CW for not much more.
Going out: 20th Dec morning
Return: 3rd Jan night

Thanks

By the way, did you find OSL-KOA flights on BA.com? I am unable to search for those flights on their website.

Last edited by flwrpi; Nov 28, 2012 at 4:28 am Reason: added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.