Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HHA and 241 question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Poster

HHA and 241 question

My wife and I are part of a HHA and have enjoyed several redemptions using miles.

My mother has recently been diagnosed with ovarian cancer which has deemed to be incurable. She is however responding well to her chemotherapy which is intended to prolong her life. For how long we don't know yet.

The point of my question is: she is planning to visit her brother who lives in Canada in July. She has sourced travel insurance which whilst expensive is manageable.

I would like to somehow use my miles to allow my mother and father to travel in F but not sure if I can do this. Do I have to fly in order to use the voucher? I don't have enough miles to do an outright redemption for both.

Availability seems good at the moment and I would like to book ASAP as a Xmas present.

Is there any leeway in the rules? If it helps I have been an Amex customer for years.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:33 am

To book your mum with the 2for1 the holder of the voucher has to travel but the guest ticket can be for anyone. You will have to call BA to book though as online it will only let you book for members of the HHA.
I can't see Ba letting your dad use the voucher with her, add them all to your HHA and buy some miles? Still cheaper than 2x First tickets, unless there is a great deal in jan sale.
Wishing your mum good luck in her treatments.

Last edited by joejet; Nov 25, 2012 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by joejet
To book your mum with the 2for1 the holder of the voucher has to travel but the guest ticket can be for anyone.
This used to be the case, but no longer. The rules have changed. The holder of an Amex 2-4-1 voucher, if a member of a Household Account, cannot take a companion who is not part of the HHA.

Here are the Terms & Conditions:

"Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking except if the member is part of a Household Account. In such an instance, the companion must also belong to the Household Account."
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:49 am

You'll need to add your father to your HHA and 3 of you would need to travel as well. You could consider F one way and WT/WT+ on the other leg to reduce the total number of miles

Hope your mum's treatment goes well
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fitzy
You'll need to add your father to your HHA and 3 of you would need to travel as well. You could consider F one way and WT/WT+ on the other leg to reduce the total number of miles

Hope your mum's treatment goes well
Thanks all for the kind comments.

The problem is I wont be able to travel on the months that she wants. Mainly due to work but also the fact that I have several trips already booked for 2013. I had plans to either use the voucher for a quick CE trip or to let it lapse.

So am I right in thinking that the bottom line is that I must travel in order to use the 241? Do you think either AMEX or BA would allow me to bend the rules just slightly? As harsh as it sounds I could provide evidence. I appreciate that it is all guesswork at the moment but dont want to sound silly and call them.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
This used to be the case, but no longer. The rules have changed. The holder of an Amex 2-4-1 voucher, if a member of a Household Account, cannot take a companion who is not part of the HHA.

Here are the Terms & Conditions:

"Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking except if the member is part of a Household Account. In such an instance, the companion must also belong to the Household Account."

Last week in the Avios sale I booked for myself and my wife, she is not part of the HHA, I had to ring BA gold line and they booked it for me. I had no idea that was not in the current rules but then neither did the agent!

PM sent to Kitbag1984

Last edited by joejet; Nov 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Do you think either AMEX or BA would allow me to bend the rules just slightly? As harsh as it sounds I could provide evidence. I appreciate that it is all guesswork at the moment but dont want to sound silly and call them.
Well, the technical answer is no, so you need to contact them to see whether they would allow this under the circumstances. I don't think you'll sound silly but even if you do it's the only way. Best of luck!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. Thanks especially to JoeJet!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
You have a PM

I have done something similar in the past.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

This is a repost of a question I placed a few months ago. If anyone can help then please let me know. Ps. I have my mum and dad on my HHA now.

My wife and I are part of a HHA and have enjoyed several redemptions using miles.

My mother has recently been diagnosed with ovarian cancer which has deemed to be incurable. She is however responding well to her chemotherapy which is intended to prolong her life. For how long we don't know yet.

The point of my question is: she is planning to visit her brother who lives in Canada in July. She has sourced travel insurance which whilst expensive is manageable.

I would like to somehow use my miles to allow my mother and father to travel in F but not sure if I can do this. Do I have to fly in order to use the voucher? I don't have enough miles to do an outright redemption for both.

Availability seems good at the moment and I would like to book ASAP as a Xmas present.

Is there any leeway in the rules? If it helps I have been an Amex customer for years.

Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
This is a repost of a question I placed a few months ago. If anyone can help then please let me know. Ps. I have my mum and dad on my HHA now.

Unfortunataly you used to be able to "trick" the system with a voucher and household account but it seems that in the last round of updates to ba.com this cannot now be done, when you pick the voucher it automatically picks you as one of the people flying and I cannot see any way to unselect yourself.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Best wishes to your mum, I hope continues to respond well to her chemo.

Phone the BAEC and ask, maybe phone more than once if you do not get the answer you want at first. The fact that you have been an Amex customer for years is unlikely to help, but if you have been a good BA customer that might help.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Yes I found this out last week

Don't have enough for the full amount, the voucher will go to waste and I now feel so guilty when flying myself. It is such a shame as I was even stupid enough to say I might be able to book her in F. Now I can't!

Can't even stretch to a j ticket either.

If anyone knows another way please can you PM me. Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Do BA have any scheme whereby miles can me donated by other members for a case such as this?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Yes I found this out last week

Don't have enough for the full amount, the voucher will go to waste and I now feel so guilty when flying myself. It is such a shame as I was even stupid enough to say I might be able to book her in F. Now I can't!

Can't even stretch to a j ticket either.

If anyone knows another way please can you PM me. Thanks.
How about booking you and Mum in F using the 2-4-1, and the cheapest economy for Dad, then you can swap places with Dad? Assuming that you would be available to travel with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.