Wiki Posts
Search

Avios on CX to Hong Kong via JFK/YVR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Avios on CX to HKG via JFK/YVR and Qantas/CX to SYD

Been looking at flights from JFK-YVR (New York to Vancouver) and YRV-HKG (Hong Kong) at random times this December and middle of next year (just for Avios + tax pricing).

Found quite a few including 23, 24, 25th Dec between JFK-YVR on a Boeing 777 leaving around 11pm and arriving at 1am or so.

Is there anything better timing wise or aircraft wise than this being offered for redemptions or in general? Not sure how much benefit of CX First I would get at that time of night.
HKG flights leave around 2:45am and arrive after 6am according to a search I did (also on a 777) which would probably require a day stopover to be on the safe side (never been to Canada so a day in Vancouver wouldn't be too bad).

JFK-YVR 37500 Avios + £34.50
YVR-HKG 90000 Avios + £114.40

Seems a decent enough deal to fly CX First and easy enough to throw in postioning flights + the odd TP run.

Just need to look at HKG down towards SYD now.
Added:
Seems to offer Qantas First for 75000 Avios and £93.90 in taxes so 202500 Avios + £243 for that itinery. No A380 though - A330, Boeing 747 etc offered.
CX Business offered and BA First from SIN-SYD.
Had a look at LAX-SYD as well and all that is offered is business on a 747.

Any way of bettering it?

Last edited by xenole; Dec 18, 2012 at 5:35 am
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:31 am

If you can get across to SFO - there's a daytime flight on CX to HKG - more opportunity to enjoy F.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:36 am

Avios are better used short haul. If you've got a ton, knock yourself out. Your trip was 140k 2 years ago. Go CX if you can.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:46 am

It's a pleasant enough flight in business class (never been in first). Full meal service, even at that hour. If you're thinking about laying over in Vancouver, note that the Skytrain (?) stops running just about the time you'd be getting through customs.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
I think that JFK - HKG requires the same amount of miles as YVR - HKG ie 90000 miles. Thats much better value with OK taxes
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by terminalfive
I think that JFK - HKG requires the same amount of miles as YVR - HKG ie 90000 miles. Thats much better value with OK taxes
actually it is not. In f it would 105,000 non stop one way versus 127500 via yvr....versus 75000 last year [ either way....and people wonder why those of us in na were pissed.

or added 67500 aa miles and even less taxes

Last edited by mkjr; Sep 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm Reason: ]
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by mkjr
Originally Posted by terminalfive
actually it is not. In f it would 105,000 non stop one way versus 127500 via yvr....versus 75000 last year [ either way....and people wonder why those of us in na were pissed.

or added 67500 aa miles and even less taxes

I see your point but to be fair this is British airways not American airlines!!!!

Avios usage around America is still good value for quite a few redemptions on AA so it's not all doom and gloom as you make out

cs
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I see your point but to be fair this is British airways not American airlines!!!!

Avios usage around America is still good value for quite a few redemptions on AA so it's not all doom and gloom as you make out

cs
Indeed. I often redeem 9,000 Avios for round trip, short haul flights that would cost $400+ out of pocket. Compare that to the 25,000 miles required for the same award ticket by most US based airlines (including AA) and the Avios are an excellent value.

BA also does not charge a fee for redeeming less than 21 days out as most US based airlines (including AA) do.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
err...hmm...well OK... [we were talking about usage on CX right....]
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:29 pm

Well, it is the same flight JFK-YVR-HKG with a stop in YVR. So you can get out or not. If you stop as mentioned the Skytrain will be shutdown until 5a.m, so you'll need to stay at an airport hotel and I would rec. the YVR Airport Fairmont as it is right beside the terminal (just walk through the doors) and is one of the best airport hotels anywhere in my opinion. F is always better - especially on CX which has one of the best, but J on CX is pretty nice as well if you want to save some points and just sleep. It is usually the new J on the 777s Nice itinerary!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Been playing around with LAX, SFO etc and can't find anything connected with an A380. Same returning from the Far East - either popular, nothing available, or I'm missing something or just getting bored as it takes a while to search dates (although plenty of flights coming up).

Short haul wise, was looking at MAN-LHR-WAW return (Warsaw) for a weekend along with a stay at the IC for 15000 Avios + £27 and around £57 for the hotel. Just a shame here that flights arrive just before 7pm on the Sat night (earlier during the week. Costs about £220 in ET normally which isn't too bad.
Would require a WT+ transatlantic to get those Avios back which I'll be doing anyway.
Would ideally prefer to blow Avios on long haul First though with somewere warm and sunny at the end.

Still pricing up things and won't be until next year anyway. Got a few flights planned to build up TP and Avios in the meantime.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
If you can get across to SFO - there's a daytime flight on CX to HKG - more opportunity to enjoy F.
That flight also happens to be a 744
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Been playing around a little bit more and very difficult to find LAX-SYD on Qantas first.

Did eventually manage to get one flight for 209k Avios + taxes or £240ish on an A380 (the 11:30pm flight) but that's LAX-MEL and then a connection in business to SYD.
Seems to be more chance of a Melbourne flight than direct to SYD.

Tried SFO-SYD and this involves AA first to LAX and then business only on the 11:50pm flight. Doesn't offer an availabilty for the 11:30pm flight even though there are 2hrs between flights.
Another option gave a routing via DFW and then onto LAX for the 11:50pm flight - does the 747 stop off at LAX then as I'm sure it has the same flight number?

Can find zero A380 wise on Qantas from HKG unless I need to try MEL once again? No hardship as the flight arrives in SYD at 11:25am so more chance of a hotel room being available that a 6am arrival.
Loads of 747, A330 etc flights to Brisbane, Manilla etc and a few CX and BA too.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:52 am

Just a thought. Is it now cheaper tax wise to go LHR - HKG through the DUB-JFK route then direct?!!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Qantas fly non-stop from SYD-DFW, but the return stops in Brisbane for fuel before continuing on to SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.