Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Body scanner back in Terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Bad news, bears.

Unfortunately a body scanner has now been added to South Security. It is not on the Fast Track line, and there is no evidence of one being placed in North Security (yet). Which means that connecting passengers won't see this, but it was certainly in service today.

(For the record, this photo was taken on a nearby retail premise, not in the security area).
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I don't have any problem with the body scanners. Anything that improves security or acts as a further deterrent can only be a good thing.

Technically photography is not permitted that shows the security areas - it matters not where the photo was taken.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:14 pm

I thought the EC stopped the use of these?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by COOLIO
I thought the EC stopped the use of these?
I believe it is the other technology that was banned. One is back scatter and the other is millimetre wave, I think - and I can't remember which is which.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Given that they render your image Homer Simpson like, I don't get the concern. It beats being felt up IMHO
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unfortunately a body scanner has now been added to South Security.

...and this is from someone who have to get touched every time he goes through security for medical reasons.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,

Don't see the problem if used correctly. Use them in DME all the time, belt, jacket and shoes stay on so much faster and I am not at all bothered about whoever is on the scanner seeing his/her 10,000th todger of the day.

Where I have an issue is if they want you to do all the shoes off belt off and pocket empty as this defeats the object and slows things down without achieving anything
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:03 am
Ambassador

Oh dear. Thanks for letting us know. ^

Presumably there's not going to be any opt-out like when they were previously installed?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
In what way does anyone see your " todger"?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA304
Oh dear. Thanks for letting us know. ^

Presumably there's not going to be any opt-out like when they were previously installed?
European law indeed allows opt-outs, as is the case in the United States, but the UK has decided not to permit them. Therefore the opt-out will be "no body scan, no flying".

I have read up on the material as to why the Home Secretary came up with this logic, which is basically that she bought into the concerns of BAA and others that it would disrupt their operations too much - but I personally don't agree with it. It would require someone to instigate legal proceedings on the matter, based on European law, and I suspect that the Government is gambling that won't happen, due to the legal costs that would be incurred.

For the record, there are also body scanners in use in Manchester (including Fast Track) and LGW (but not Fast Track); apparently Glasgow is about to introduce them.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by Genius1
I don't have any problem with the body scanners. Anything that improves security or acts as a further deterrent can only be a good thing.
Anything? Really?
Air security would be improved by having all passengers naked and chained to the seats. I think that would not be a good thing. Or we could completely eliminate risk from air travel by outlawing aviation. Brilliant!

Of course, we could take a more intelligent approach and view any intervention purported to enhance security as having costs and benefits, and discuss it with regard to the balance between these things.

Originally Posted by Genius1
Technically photography is not permitted that shows the security areas - it matters not where the photo was taken.
Glad you're here to tell us when we've done something wrong
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:44 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Doesn't bother me one bit. Frankly I couldn't care less if someone locked away in a room sees a fuzzy outline of my body. As others have said, in my opinion this is way less intrusive and much quicker than a pat-down.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:47 am
Suspended

I think I will wear a giant thing initial with the character of D and end with O to go through these machine next time. (Apparently if I type the whole words someone bound to be offended and report me and then I will have threat from some politically correct mod so I leave imagination to your guys only)
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Dong?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
AND they now make you use those freezer bags with a zip lock a la Terminal Three. Came in very recently. So make up bags with a zip seem to be out and that is really maddening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.