FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

Globaliser Nov 21, 2013 7:57 am

Originally Posted by djsteve (Post 21825304)
So the question is, what is the latest one can book 241 redemptions? I don't see anything in the T&C's for a limit and seem to recall it used to be something like 7 or 3days prior to travel.

I'm not aware of there being any special limit for booking on a 2-4-1. The technical time limit for booking redemptions is now 24 hours in advance (clause 15.4 of the T&C), but there are many reports of people booking much closer to departure than that without issues.

There's no problem with booking one-ways on UK Amex 2-4-1 vouchers.

But there may be two issues with your plan that you need to sort out. You may have thought about these already, but in case not:

The first is the possibility that by the time you come to book, there's no award availability to a destination that would suit you on the date that you want, even with some flexibility. And by then, it may be that the only availability left is for expensive cash tickets. What are you going to do then?

The other is that if you fly to PVG, that's as far as the 2-4-1 will take you (regardless of whether you have a stopover there) because they're only valid for redemptions on BA metal. By the same token, the 2-4-1 will not get you to New Zealand - SYD is the furthest possible point. How are you going to bridge the gap?

djsteve Nov 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 21826013)

But there may be two issues with your plan that you need to sort out. You may have thought about these already, but in case not:

The first is the possibility that by the time you come to book, there's no award availability to a destination that would suit you on the date that you want, even with some flexibility. And by then, it may be that the only availability left is for expensive cash tickets. What are you going to do then?

The other is that if you fly to PVG, that's as far as the 2-4-1 will take you (regardless of whether you have a stopover there) because they're only valid for redemptions on BA metal. By the same token, the 2-4-1 will not get you to New Zealand - SYD is the furthest possible point. How are you going to bridge the gap?

And therein lies some of the problem!

I have looked into the Visa thing (for mainland China) and a Moondog points out a TWOV is available for a max 72hour stopover. So book tickets as far as PVG and see friends.
In an ideal world, I would buy a redemption LHR-PVG/SIN-SYD. However, it has been stated here before that this is not possible on a 2-4-1. Speaking with the gold line people however, the lady said I could do this. I am not convince however and wont depend on it until making the booking.
This may be a moot point anyway as the SIN-SYD leg is completely unavailable. I am certainly not surprised baring in mind the many years I have travelled this sector.
So the back stop is to have CX or QF tickets to SYD or AKL and worry about the remaining leap to final destination of WLG a bit later...

By booking last minute I do indeed run the risk of losing out altogether, however, with 7days to go, there are a substantial more options opening up on the likes of CX and even JL. Not ideal with a family in tow to leave so late and could find ourselves in Y?!
Going to lock in the LHR-PVG flight asap and can always move slightly closer to the time.
Good to understand that I have the potential for up to 24hours before departures. I will of course need to have proof of onward ticketed journey for the purposes of Chinese immigration however.
dj

Explore Nov 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21824967)
No, you can only upgrade with avios AA/BA/IB flights booked through BA.

OK, so I have another all-BA itinerary that was booked online with BA, but I'm crediting the miles earned to AA. To avoid booking confusion, I used a different e-mail address than my Executive Club e-mail address.

Can that itinerary be upgraded with Avios? If so, can it be done online or is a phone call necessary?

Thanks......

nux Nov 25, 2013 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21839886)
OK, so I have another all-BA itinerary that was booked online with BA, but I'm crediting the miles earned to AA. To avoid booking confusion, I used a different e-mail address than my Executive Club e-mail address.

Can that itinerary be upgraded with Avios? If so, can it be done online or is a phone call necessary?

Thanks......

Yes (assuming there is award space to upgrade to).

Remove your AA number and change to BA number (phone or use finnair.com).
Upgrade online if possible or over the phone.
If you want to credit to AA, change booking back to AA number (phone, finnair.com or at the airport).

Explore Nov 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21849164)
Yes (assuming there is award space to upgrade to).

Remove your AA number and change to BA number (phone or use finnair.com).
Upgrade online if possible or over the phone.
If you want to credit to AA, change booking back to AA number (phone, finnair.com or at the airport).

Thanks! The Finnair recommendation is curious. Would I have to join their FF program to do this? What booking reference would I provide Finnair - the BA one? I assume phone refers to BA, who would charge for an upgrade via phone (true for OW Emerald?)

blindman Nov 26, 2013 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21854792)
Thanks! The Finnair recommendation is curious. Would I have to join their FF program to do this?

NO

What booking reference would I provide Finnair - the BA one?

YES

I assume phone refers to BA, who would charge for an upgrade via phone (true for OW Emerald?)

Most probably.

nux Nov 26, 2013 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21854792)
Thanks! The Finnair recommendation is curious. Would I have to join their FF program to do this? What booking reference would I provide Finnair - the BA one? I assume phone refers to BA, who would charge for an upgrade via phone (true for OW Emerald?)

No. Finnair is the only oneworld airline using Amadeus that allows the frequent flyer number to be changed on a booking online. Use the 'My Booking' link and enter your PNR.

You can/should be able to open any Amadeus booking through BA, Finnair, Cathay, Qantas, Iberia, Royal Jordanian, among others.

You can otherwise just call BA and ask to change the FF number attached to the booking, however going through finnair.com is much quicker and easier.

hgroven Nov 27, 2013 7:14 am

Hi all,

Bit much to read through all threads so applogies if this covered already.

Booked on BA through local travel agent.

LHR-HKG-DPS first leg BA WTP second leg HX (wish me luck)

Return

DPS-SIN-LHR first leg JQ second leg BA WTP

Looking to upgrade the BA legs with Avios, but BA advising they can not do as all legs on same booking reference. Reticketing will cost £££

Anyone know a workaround for this please?

Thanks in advance and cheerios

nux Nov 27, 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by hgroven (Post 21862965)
Booked on BA through local travel agent.

LHR-HKG-DPS first leg BA WTP second leg HX (wish me luck)

Return

DPS-SIN-LHR first leg JQ second leg BA WTP

Looking to upgrade the BA legs with Avios, but BA advising they can not do as all legs on same booking reference. Reticketing will cost £££

There is no workaround, it is simply not possible.

From the BAEC T&C's:

1.Upgrading using Avios Points can only be made online at ba.com or direct with British Airways, but includes bookings originally made through travel agents. ... Bookings made with a travel agent which contain other carriers cannot be upgraded.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

hgroven Nov 27, 2013 7:50 am

Ok thanks Nux

Explore Nov 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21855717)
No. Finnair is the only oneworld airline using Amadeus that allows the frequent flyer number to be changed on a booking online. Use the 'My Booking' link and enter your PNR.

You can/should be able to open any Amadeus booking through BA, Finnair, Cathay, Qantas, Iberia, Royal Jordanian, among others.

You can otherwise just call BA and ask to change the FF number attached to the booking, however going through finnair.com is much quicker and easier.

Thanks, the Finnair route worked for changing the FF number. I then tried upgrading at ba.com. Was told that no upgrade space is available.

I notice that ba.com doesn't give you the option of upgrading one segment at a time - it seems to be the entire outbound or inbound itinerary. What if one sector is available for upgrade but another isn't - you're out of luck on both?

Also, with EF alerts blocked for the time being, how are people finding out about award/upgrade availability? If you have to use the ba site, is there a way to research individual flights for space, fast? I take it there is no waitlist.

Globaliser Nov 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21865069)
I notice that ba.com doesn't give you the option of upgrading one segment at a time - it seems to be the entire outbound or inbound itinerary. What if one sector is available for upgrade but another isn't - you're out of luck on both?

You should be able to upgrade one way only online, at least if it's a simple round-trip itinerary with only one sector in each direction. Otherwise, phone to do it.

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21865069)
Also, with EF alerts blocked for the time being, how are people finding out about award/upgrade availability? If you have to use the ba site, is there a way to research individual flights for space, fast? I take it there is no waitlist.

The BA website was always the main way of finding this. To do it fast, learn to operate the BA website fast.

Some partners' websites will also show you BA award availability. Some find some of these faster than ba.com.

No waitlisting.

Speedbird876 Nov 28, 2013 1:05 pm

First of all, thanks for all the information on here.

I have a few questions. Apologies in advance if the answers are obvious and have been answered a million times before.

1. Searching for availability
So I'm learning that it's tedious. I think I'm right that you have to search frequently using BA.com. The fact that there's no availability now means nothing and availability might open up.

Are there any short-cuts?

I see Expertflyer being mentioned on here but does it show Award availability (X,P,U,Z) for BA? It doesn't seem to for me (even when I've searched for flights that show availability on BA.com).

So how do people create seat alerts for fare classes that don't seem to appear? :confused:

What about KVS? What are it's advantages? Am I right that it's just another way of searching instead of using BA.com?

Can you program it in some way to do the searching for you?

2. My flight
So my plan is to upgrade a CW booking in February to First using Avios. There's currently no availability. Based on what I've read, I think that what I must do is search on BA.com everyday to see if availability opens up. And there's a chance that availability will open up close to the departure date.

Am I on the right track?

I'm obviously very happy in CW but if I wasted five minutes everyday until February and ended up in CW I might not be...

Globaliser Nov 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird876 (Post 21870129)
I see Expertflyer being mentioned on here but does it show Award availability (X,P,U,Z) for BA?

So how do people create seat alerts for fare classes that don't seem to appear? :confused:

EF doesn't, and people can't.

There was a brief period when it was possible, but that's gone now.

What about KVS? What are it's advantages? Am I right that it's just another way of searching instead of using BA.com?

KVS basically screenscrapes either ba.com or some other airline's site that shows award availability.

So my plan is to upgrade a CW booking in February to First using Avios. There's currently no availability. Based on what I've read, I think that what I must do is search on BA.com everyday to see if availability opens up. And there's a chance that availability will open up close to the departure date.

Am I on the right track?

Yes.

jerry a. laska Nov 28, 2013 2:58 pm

First of all, thanks for all the information on here.

I have a few questions. Apologies in advance if the answers are obvious and have been answered a million times before.

1. Searching for availability
So I'm learning that it's tedious. I think I'm right that you have to search frequently using BA.com. The fact that there's no availability now means nothing and availability might open up.

Are there any short-cuts?

I see Expertflyer being mentioned on here but does it show Award availability (X,P,U,Z) for BA? It doesn't seem to for me (even when I've searched for flights that show availability on BA.com).

Can you program it in some way to do the searching for you?

2. My flight

Am I on the right track?

I'm obviously very happy in CW but if I wasted five minutes everyday until February and ended up in CW I might not be

In addition to Globaliser's comments you can also use
https://awardnexus.com/user/login?url=%2F
From the first post in the Guide:

•For oneworld carriers, we recommend Awardnexus. It is very clever, it’s free and is an incredible time saver.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19160483-post1.html