FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

thejohn Jan 6, 2014 12:10 pm

Can a BA holiday flight be upgraded using avios I ask because it's not available using MMB
Thanks in advance
John

stifle Jan 6, 2014 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by thejohn (Post 22096577)
Can a BA holiday flight be upgraded using avios I ask because it's not available using MMB
Thanks in advance
John

Yes it can although you may need to phone up and obviously there has to be reward availability. You can't upgrade using Avios from most Euro/World Traveller fares.

jmr851 Jan 7, 2014 10:26 pm

Issues with Avios

I have been attempting to book a First Class rewards flight from SFO-FCO now for several months. I am open to different dates and have been playing with the site everyday to see if availability comes up. There has been zero availability for months now and I am truly starting to lose my faith in being an Avios member. I even did the Visa Signature card and spent well over the 30K in order to receive the "Travel Together Ticket", which I received via e-mail today. Is this a common problem? Should I dump the BA Visa and go with another airline? It's no good to me if I can't book reward flights in first. This is ridiculous. Please help. Thank you.

moondog Jan 8, 2014 12:04 am

Originally Posted by jmr851 (Post 22108388)
I have been attempting to book a First Class rewards flight from SFO-FCO now for several months. I am open to different dates and have been playing with the site everyday to see if availability comes up. There has been zero availability for months now and I am truly starting to lose my faith in being an Avios member. I even did the Visa Signature card and spent well over the 30K in order to receive the "Travel Together Ticket", which I received via e-mail today. Is this a common problem? Should I dump the BA Visa and go with another airline? It's no good to me if I can't book reward flights in first. This is ridiculous. Please help. Thank you.

I just checked out the award calender on ba.com for SFO-LHR and found quite a few open dates. LHR-FCO should be easy to tack on once you settle on your transpac segments.

nux Jan 8, 2014 1:32 am

Originally Posted by jmr851 (Post 22108388)

Look for SFO-LHR return dates that are available in CW and First.
Then look for LHR-FCO return dates in Club Europe and WT (there is no first).

If you don't find any dates that match up, either book a stopover, cash fare, or find another destination.

You can book mixed class over the phone and can change if a different class becomes available (ie book SFO-LHR in First, LHR-FCO in economy, FCO-LHR-SFO in Club).

ringingup Jan 8, 2014 2:44 pm

When a redemption is made for individuals who are either on the Household Account or Family and Friends list the Avios Points will be taken from each Member's Avios Points balance in proportion to the size of each Household Account Member's Avios Points balance.
Does this mean that if there are two members of the household account and one has a 0 balance, everything will be taken only from one of the two Avios accounts?

moondog Jan 8, 2014 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 22113269)
Does this mean that if there are two members of the household account and one has a 0 balance, everything will be taken only from one of the two Avios accounts?

Yes. They won't allow any accounts to go negative.

CityRules Jan 9, 2014 8:27 am

Upgrade and Avios booking with cash.

If I have an Avios booking in WT+ is it possible to upgrade this to CW with cash?

(I'm sure the answer is somewhere in these pages but I'm short on time and would appreciate any help)

nux Jan 9, 2014 8:38 am

Originally Posted by CityRules (Post 22117785)
If I have an Avios booking in WT+ is it possible to upgrade this to CW with cash?

(I'm sure the answer is somewhere in these pages but I'm short on time and would appreciate any help)

You may be offered a POUG in MMB or at OLCI, or may be offered a cash upgrade at the airport.

None of the above mean you will earn avios/TP's however.

CityRules Jan 9, 2014 9:52 am

I'm not bothered about the TPs avios at this point. Is it permissible to go to the airport and upgrade with cash from an avios booked WT+ ticket to CW. (Naturally if there are CW seats available)

jerry a. laska Jan 9, 2014 10:01 am

Originally Posted by CityRules (Post 22118453)
I'm not bothered about the TPs avios at this point. Is it permissible to go to the airport and upgrade with cash from an avios booked WT+ ticket to CW. (Naturally if there are CW seats available)

As noted above you can do a cash POUG or airport upgrade promotion with an avios redemption if you are offered one.
If you want to upgrade with cash at the airport all you can do is ask if there are airport upgrade promotion seats available. Whether or not you will be able to, will depend upon whether there are any aircraft upgrade promotion seats available.

jmr851 Jan 9, 2014 10:29 am

Avios booking to LHR from SFO

Hello again and thank you for the previous responses/help, we greatly appreciate it. So, again we had issues between booking online and over the phone. BA has different availabilities over the phone Vs. online. Long story short is my wife and I want to travel to LHR from SFO anytime between 11/21/2014 and 12/03/2014 in First Class using a combo of Avios and a "Travel Together Pass" that we have from our Chase Visa. I have booked and purchased (but have 24hrs to cancel) the only thing we could find which was departing on 11/25/2014 and returning 12/03/2014. The only issue is the return leg. The leg there is SFO-LHR First Class (Flight # 284). The leg back is LHR-ORD (Flight# 297) and then we are on our own to get back to SFO. Should I cancel this reservation and wait for something to become available in first that will get us there and back without ending in ORD or am I lucky to have this leg and should I keep it? I am not real familiar with reward travel so that I would put it out there to the community and see what the verdict is. Again, we truly appreciate all of your help and opinions.

jmr851 Jan 9, 2014 10:32 am

RE: Avios booking to LHR from SFO

By the way, we also don't mind flying out of and back into LAX if we have to. Thank you again!

actuate Jan 9, 2014 11:33 am

Avios Transfer

Hello,
I am novice here and joined this community today. I wish I could have known about this site earlier.

I have 100,000 points in British Airways avios (in household account)

How to redeem / transfer the 100,000 British Airways avios AND 40,000 Chase points to United/Qatar/Emirates, so that I can either travel to India or Hawaii using only points?

I do not want to travel British Airways due to high fuel surcharge.

I am not sure as to how can I transfer my British Airways avios to other airlines?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

stifle Jan 9, 2014 1:04 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You cannot transfer Avios to any other airline programme (except transfers between BA, Iberia, and Avios.com). You can, however, use Avios to book flights on Qatar Airways (but not United or Emirates).