Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which credit card (for upcoming flights/paypal/abroad)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Now I’m quite new to this forum (and only just joined the BAEC – currently have 10k in VAFC). Just having a browse around and there seems to be lots of threads about new sign-up bonuses for credit cards. Which got me thinking; I’m going to be putting $1,500 through my (UK) paypal account in the next couple of weeks, and then another $1,500 in mid-October. Plus about £1k or so in flights in the next month or so, with more on spending abroad if the deal is right (I currently use the Halifax Clarity for this at the moment).

So I’m thinking it might make sense to put this through one of these credit cards which offers you a good deal. The AMEX Gold card (I’ve never had an AMEX card) seems a good deal with 20k Avios, no fee and £10.10 cashback through TCB. I think I also read something like it gives you double points on all travel spend (flights etc)/foreign currency transactions?

Are there any better offers?

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Due to the takeover of bmi, it's possible to move miles from bmi diamond club to BA Exec club. If you follow my advice below then you should sign up with bmi diamond club before applying for the card. You can freely transfer miles from bmi to BA at the rate of 1 mile = 1 avios.

The bmi Amex offers a decent deal, the free version has a 20k sign up bonus, gives you 1.5 miles per pound on Amex spend and comes with a companion Visa which gives you 0.75 miles per pound.

There's also a paid version which is £85/year which gives you a sign up bonus of 24k and 2 miles/£ on amex and 1 mile/£ on Visa. By the sounds of your spending you might not spend enough to make it worthwhile.

Think of the bmi options as short term options as bmi won't be round for much longer but as these cards are issued by MBNA, not directly from Amex they won't affect your ability to get new sign up bonuses on Amex issued cards.

Also worth getting a BA Amex, the free one is only 1 mile/£ but it's double miles on spend on ba.com.

If you think you can spend £10,000 in a year, it's worth considering the paid BA Amex card (£150/year), it's only 1.5 miles/£ (so the same as the free bmi one), but you get a 2 for 1 voucher when reaching £10k which makes your miles go further.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You may want to think about Amex Plat, given the 50k sign up bonus. The fee is £450 but you get a prorata refund when you cancel, so if you do the spend quickly it won't cost much. There is also £60 cashback so your net cost could be close to zero.

Failing that, get the Amex Gold for one year fee free.

Whichever Amex you get, also get the BMI cards as well for the 20k bonus. This is a no-brainer.

If you've not seen the credit card page on my blog http://headforpoints.com/jul-cards-update/ then that should also be helpful.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by layz
Also worth getting a BA Amex, the free one is only 1 mile/£ but it's double miles on spend on ba.com.
*cough*
Really?
I get 1:1 every time we book flights.
Have I been robbed because I have to call BAEC, as ba.com can't do Multi-City + MFU?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
*cough*
Really?
Have I been robbed because I have to call BAEC, as ba.com can't do Multi-City + MFU?
It would appear that the 1:2 has gone from the main sites.

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/ba...?filter=credit

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/ba...?filter=credit

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/co...rd5&card=card4

It was there previously, but no longer.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by T8191
*cough*
Really?
Only on the "Premium Plus" card.

Applicable bookings made direct with British Airways and British Airways Holidays. For details contact British Airways. Eligible fares only. Terms and Conditions apply.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Only on the "Premium Plus" card.
Thanks, that's what I thought. The Free BA Amex doesn't do that.

Didn't want divetheblue getting the wrong idea.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
This suggests it's only the BAPP that gets double Avios for BA spend....

ETA - Looks like I'm far too slow.....
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by layz
If you follow my advice below then you should sign up with bmi diamond club before applying for the card. You can freely transfer miles from bmi to BA at the rate of 1 mile = 1 avios.
Sorry for getting in on this thread with a question, but it is related - why would you need to sign up to the diamond club before applying - we just applied for the card and were accepted - the terms state that if you are not already a member they automatically enroll you into the club. Hope we havent messed up because we were looking forward to 20,000 miles each to transfer to avios...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Probably because neither MBNA nor BMI tend to tell the new accountholder their BMI account number, so you have to ring MBNA to get it. No biggie but it's obviously easier to find the account number if you set up the account yourself.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by louie-m
Probably because neither MBNA nor BMI tend to tell the new accountholder their BMI account number, so you have to ring MBNA to get it. No biggie but it's obviously easier to find the account number if you set up the account yourself.
Okay - thanks! I was fretting for a while thinking I screwed up getting us 20k miles each ! Especially as they will no doubt withdraw that offer soon.. Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Le Accor Plat
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Sorry for getting in on this thread with a question, but it is related - why would you need to sign up to the diamond club before applying - we just applied for the card and were accepted - the terms state that if you are not already a member they automatically enroll you into the club. Hope we havent messed up because we were looking forward to 20,000 miles each to transfer to avios...
Previously, it was worth signing up with BMI before applying for the credit card as you would get 1000 bonus pouts for signing up to the Diamond Club online. Then you could get the bonus credit card miles on top of that. However, I can't find a mention of that offer on the website now, so it might have been pulled...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Okay - thanks! I was fretting for a while thinking I screwed up getting us 20k miles each ! Especially as they will no doubt withdraw that offer soon.. Thanks
The reason to join first is that you are never told your BMI account number if MBNA creates the account. Your 20k miles will be sent to a new BMI account, but you won't be able to access it! At some point you will need to get on the phone to MBNA or BMI and try to find your number.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by mackdaddy
Previously, it was worth signing up with BMI before applying for the credit card as you would get 1000 bonus pouts for signing up to the Diamond Club online. Then you could get the bonus credit card miles on top of that. However, I can't find a mention of that offer on the website now, so it might have been pulled...

Spot on

And welcome to flyertalk

cs
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Wow thanks guys, all the advice much appreciated I've never joined a frequent flyer program before and let I've done lots of flights over the years...Never knew there was all these ways to earn extra miles, I always thought you just had to fly lots (which is why I never joined)!

So...I've now joined the diamond club as per the advice. Saw there was a box for voucher code on signup, so a quick search, and using code 1JA1KD seems to have got me 1000 destination miles in the account

Next, onto the bmi credit card!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.