Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EDI-BCN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

EDI-BCN

Need to get my elderly mother over to BCN in December and back again a few weeks later. I'd naturally fly BA EDI-LHR-BCN-LHR-EDI. However, I'm wondering if I should go EDI-AMS-BCN-AMS-EDI (KLM) to have her avoid a potential long queue at immigration on the return to LHR.

I'm must be one of the few that has never been near AMS, so anyone got any views on either AMS or KLM vs BA & LHR?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
EDI-BCN

AMS much easier and more manageable.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Dare I suggest Easy Jet or Jet2?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Have you considered Vueling? They offer 3 flights a week from EDI-BCN and are part owned by IAG so you can even earn Avios (via Iberia plus). The service is more in the mould of Go than Ryanair and there is assigned seating. You can even book a redemption on it if you move some points over to Iberia Plus.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PPgold
I'd naturally fly BA EDI-LHR-BCN-LHR-EDI. However, I'm wondering if I should go EDI-AMS-BCN-AMS-EDI (KLM) to have her avoid a potential long queue at immigration on the return to LHR.
In my experience there is usually no or only a short queue at immigration for domestic connections. Security takes some time to get through but you'll have that in AMS too.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by sigma421
Have you considered Vueling? They offer 3 flights a week from EDI-BCN and are part owned by IAG so you can even earn Avios (via Iberia plus). The service is more in the mould of Go than Ryanair and there is assigned seating. You can even book a redemption on it if you move some points over to Iberia Plus.
Originally Posted by tbm13
In my experience there is usually no or only a short queue at immigration for domestic connections. Security takes some time to get through but you'll have that in AMS too.

Good call re Vueling !

but there is also the option of EDI-LCY-BCN as this is December, and also from next year routing via LGW.

You could even route out one way and return via a different LON airport if you decided one was better than the other

cs
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The passport queue in Schiphol alone is likely to be far worse than LHR, and there is also an extra security check outbound (same number inbound).

Furthermore the walk in Schiphol will be far greater than LHR. You will be going from perhaps the end of the D gate outbound to a C Schengen gate for BCN. You will have quite a hike to the main building from the gate, passports plus security (long queues are normal for this) at the end of the D gates, then another long walk to C. At LHR there's no passports, no security, just up the escalators. There is a small risk than BCN goes from the B gates, but you would be unlucky if that happens.

Inbound at AMS, there's passports between C and D again (there may be a long queue for that too, but it moves quickly), then security at the gate (short queues, but can still take a while). Whereas at LHR there is a passport check - not usually much of a queue here - followed by North Security. This is the worst bit, but I don't think it's any worse than the AMS equivalent, time wise. Then LHR's big advantage: the Edinburgh flight will almost certainly leave from a gate very near North Security.

Personally I think going to AMS to avoid queues would be somewhat perverse.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by sigma421
Sadly however the Vueling service to EDI stops before December.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by David-A
Sadly however the Vueling service to EDI stops before December.
Taking into account my last two experiences of Vueling, I should say that that's a blessing.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would do it via LHR.

On the way down, you only need to go through security once (at EDI). AMS you will need to go through it at EDI and AMS (with passport check).

On the return, the big advantage is that when you arrive in EDI, no queues. Off the plane, collect bags (maybe she can wait/go straight to car?). The domestic queue at LHR on the return is not that much and you will have security at LHR and AMS.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks, I've booked her BA tickets :-)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by PPgold
Thanks folks, I've booked her BA tickets :-)

Via LHR or city ?

cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.