Wiki Posts
Search

Black out dates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Senator
Unhappy Black out dates

I am BA Gold, living in the US at a one-destination only end of the network. London. Apparently, BA don't programme as many redemption seats for booking returns, with the outbound leg starting from the U.S. as you have options when travelling ex London.

It's so frustrating. I have zillions of points earned from paid bookings and can't use them easily because I dont' really want to go to the UK for 24 hours, or 11 days. I may exaggerate, but not by much. Basically, I want to go for a long weekend and can't because BA are blacking out Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon and often even Thursday. It's very irritating and I'm beginning to feel that they are taking the Michael a little bit too much.

What options do I have? I've raised it politely. I've raised it in a slightly annoyed feedback form. I've mentioned it to Pursers and CSD's from E to F.

Is it simply that BA are no longer loyal to their Gold Customers after all our loyalty to them? I am really cheesed off. I've been Gold donkey's years and now, when I REALLY want to redeem, there's nothing. Not even useful stuff four to six months out.

To add insult to growing injurious sentiment, I get a lovely email from BA Customer Services the other day, announcing more redemption seats from my local hub. I look online and what do I find.... more of the same COMPLETELY useless combinations offered.

Is anyone else suffering the same frustrations? Have you had any success negotiating with BA Customer Services to release a reward seat on a different flight than currently advertised (I realise that this is akin to moving a Holy Feast, but nonetheless wanted to ask!).

Last edited by andrewingeneva; Jul 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:28 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by andrewingeneva
I live in the US. Apparently, this means that BA don't programme as many redemption seats for booking returns, with the outbound leg starting from the U.S.

It's so frustrating. I have zillions of points and can't use them EVER because I dont' really want to go to the UK for 24 hours, or 11 days (my options). I want to go for a long weekend.

What options do I have? I've raised it politely. I've raised it in a slightly annoyed feedback form. I've mentioned it to Pursers and CSD's from E to F.

Is it simply that BA are no longer loyal to their Gold Customers after all our loyalty to them? I am really cheesed off. With American (also One World) you can pay 'more' points on any flight, any route, I note (according to their website at any rate).

To add insult to growing injurious sentiment, I get a lovely email from Customer Services the other day, announcing more redemption seats from my local hub. I look online and what do I find.... more of the same COMPLETELY useless combinations offered. HONESTLY!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!
you can use the double miles but it depends on whether anyone else has used it on those flights and of there being availability in a semi flex fare bucket.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Hi OP

Where are you trying to fly out of and in what class ?

When are you trying to fly ?

One tip with limited redemptions is to look at open jaw redemptions, ie JFK-LHR-BOS which is bookable over the phone but not online.

cs
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You have it easy living in the US......BA AA IB and other OW carriers fly from lots of US cities to London, Europe and the rest of the world.
You must be able to use your zillions of Avios on something.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: ABBA
Heh, I'd have guessed you lived in Geneva

As cornishsimon says, the class you travel in (I assume you're flying form Houston) makes a big difference.

However, haven't you already done this thread? You could have replied to people trying to help you.

From IAH: In Club, you could book a flight today to fly out Tue 17th June, return Wed 25th June.

The main problem in the next month or two is the olympics, availability will be low, and will have been snapped up.

Looking ahead to November though, I see outbounds in club on most days, and inbounds on about half.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You have it easy living in the US......BA AA IB and other OW carriers fly from lots of US cities to London, Europe and the rest of the world.
You must be able to use your zillions of Avios on something.
I live in TLV and have no issues finding redemptions to the US, so long as I am flexible with my dates. In Feb I had a redemption to the states for less than a week. HIDDY is 100% correct, if I was in the USA, I'd be AAing it all over the place.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Is BA really blocking out redemptions on Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon ex-LON to the US? I have not had any problem finding a redemption seat (used for MFU but still the same availability) on the dates I wanted as long as I booked well in advance. It becomes harder once it's closer to the date, and it's also of course harder if there is an event going on at either end.

Is it possible that the reward seats on dates you want have already been booked by other people, rather than BA blocking out redemption seats?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is a problem on routes such as IAH, SEA and SFO. The reason being that they are business traveller oriented, who travel from the UK on Sunday / Monday and return on Thursday/Friday. Furthermore they don't book until the last moment. BA know that, keep the space back, and so for those 3 locations in particular the travel options look skewed to mid week. There's a central belt of blue on the calendar.

In the reverse direction, starting from LHR, it's often not so bad, so weekend breaks are very feasible.

In this situation, especially if Gold, it's best to book something vaguely acceptable (e.g. LAX not SFO, YVR rather than SEA), then cancel/rebook when tickets come onstream, which is often less than 24 hours beforehand. Book singles to make that easier to do online, though there may or may not be a higher charge for doing it like that.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Is BA really blocking out redemptions on Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon ex-LON to the US? I have not had any problem finding a redemption seat (used for MFU but still the same availability) on the dates I wanted as long as I booked well in advance. It becomes harder once it's closer to the date, and it's also of course harder if there is an event going on at either end.

Is it possible that the reward seats on dates you want have already been booked by other people, rather than BA blocking out redemption seats?
No, they are not blocking out - I have a redemption to the US for later this year with some of the flights on the weekend. Maybe I just got it before the OP
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is a problem on routes such as IAH, SEA and SFO. The reason being that they are business traveller oriented, who travel from the UK on Sunday / Monday and return on Thursday/Friday. Furthermore they don't book until the last moment. BA know that, keep the space back, and so for those 3 locations in particular the travel options look skewed to mid week. There's a central belt of blue on the calendar.
Add IAD to that list … ex-LHR redemption availability in CW usually non-available Fri-Mon [or worse] even 9 months out. We almost invariably end up outbound on Wed/Thu … although we have been able to get a Sun or Mon return on our last 2 trips.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Heh, I'd have guessed you lived in Geneva

As cornishsimon says, the class you travel in (I assume you're flying form Houston) makes a big difference.

However, haven't you already done this thread? You could have replied to people trying to help you.

From IAH: In Club, you could book a flight today to fly out Tue 17th June, return Wed 25th June.

The main problem in the next month or two is the olympics, availability will be low, and will have been snapped up.

Looking ahead to November though, I see outbounds in club on most days, and inbounds on about half.

Good spot !!!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Senator
Thanks everyone - please accept my apologies for the double posting, I just wanted to see if anyone had noticed any changes and put a fresh thread at the top fo the listings.

All good hints... basically, I need to be more flexible, which I can't be, so it's my tough luck until such time I can! Oh well!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrewingeneva
I am BA Gold, living in the US at a one-destination only end of the network. London. Apparently, BA don't programme as many redemption seats for booking returns, with the outbound leg starting from the U.S. as you have options when travelling ex London.

It's so frustrating. I have zillions of points earned from paid bookings and can't use them easily because I dont' really want to go to the UK for 24 hours, or 11 days. I may exaggerate, but not by much. Basically, I want to go for a long weekend and can't because BA are blacking out Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon and often even Thursday. It's very irritating and I'm beginning to feel that they are taking the Michael a little bit too much.

Is it simply that BA are no longer loyal to their Gold Customers after all our loyalty to them? I am really cheesed off. I've been Gold donkey's years and now, when I REALLY want to redeem, there's nothing. Not even useful stuff four to six months out.

To add insult to growing injurious sentiment, I get a lovely email from BA Customer Services the other day, announcing more redemption seats from my local hub. I look online and what do I find.... more of the same COMPLETELY useless combinations offered.

Is anyone else suffering the same frustrations? Have you had any success negotiating with BA Customer Services to release a reward seat on a different flight than currently advertised (I realise that this is akin to moving a Holy Feast, but nonetheless wanted to ask!).
I totally sympathise with the OP, but the problem he described seems to be endemic on reward flights ex-LHR, too.

I tried to make a part Avios/part cash booking for a trip LHR-YYZ-LHR for October 2012, out in F and back in CW. I can find a F seat on the date I require, but - as andrewingeneva has told us - according to BA I must return to LHR either the following day or 17 days after that.

This is totally nonsensical, and I have now - extremely reluctantly - been forced to book with AC instead.

[I am now off for my exercise class so that I may be fit enough to traverse all those endless and dingy corridors at YYZ on foot!]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.