Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat Selection - booked by gold but gold not travelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot

I am sure I saw an answer to something like this recently but a search hasn't thrown anything up.

I'd like to make a booking for my family who are in my HHA but I won't be travelling with them.

Do the qualify for free seat selection on account of the booking being made by a gold?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Do you mean a revenue or an award booking?

If the latter, you can make a random/test booking, check the answer, and then cancel the booking, all without penalty.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am quite sure the answer is no. My husband did not get a free seat assignment in a similar situation.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
You cannot select seats if the GCH is not travelling.

I booked flights for my parents a few months ago and could not select seats FOC.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
What happens if I decide to travel with them but my plans change later and I need to remove myself from the booking.

Can the PNR be split to take me off and would existing seat allocations remain in place.

Apologies for asking this.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm travelling with my family on the same outbound but a different return in a couple of weeks. (On different PNRs)

I was able to get seat assignments for the rest of my family on the outbound but they don't receive any benefits on the return.

As to your question about removing yourself from the booking, don't forget that on ba.com you can't just remove one passenger from any booking - changes apply to all. So in this case you could ask the agent about the seat assignments - you will have to call anyway!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You have to be travelling in the same class as well (not just the same flight) from my experience... In theory the benefit is to allow you to sit together - not to give them seat selection as such (ie you shouldn't be able to book unwanted friends and family downstairs whilst you relax in 64k - unfortunately
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LiviLion
Can the PNR be split to take me off and would existing seat allocations remain in place.
Not sure the PNR can be split, though by the looks of it you would end up with 2 PNRs. And once you are on that separate PNR I don't think your legacy seat selection remains secure. I've had a slightly similar experience, when I moved to another flight, while a member of my family stayed on the original flight. For a period his seat selection stayed the same, but then about 8 days before travel he was allocated to another seat. At OLCI he was able to get a similar but different seat.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not sure the PNR can be split, though by the looks of it you would end up with 2 PNRs. And once you are on that separate PNR I don't think your legacy seat selection remains secure. I've had a slightly similar experience, when I moved to another flight, while a member of my family stayed on the original flight. For a period his seat selection stayed the same, but then about 8 days before travel he was allocated to another seat. At OLCI he was able to get a similar but different seat.
You would end up with two PNRs and, in addition to losing seat allocation, you would also lose any other Gold benefits such as increased baggage allowances etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.