Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Slightly OT: I've launched an Avios-focussed UK miles and points blog

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

I wanted to give everyone a heads up that I am experimenting with an Avios-focussed UK miles and points blog, Head for Points. It lives at www.headforpoints.com.

(I apologise in advance for the bland title, but it is really tricky to get relevant unregistered URL's!)

We all know that the continual growth of BA FT makes it increasingly unwieldy when it comes to separating Avios promos from the rest of the discussion on best seats, food quality etc. It is also not always easy, from a UK point of view, to find interesting promotions offered by other airlines and hotel chains, especially if they are not the ones you normally use. Head for Points will hopefully be somewhere you can look to find all the relevant promotions in one place.

Please feel free to take a look when you get a couple of minutes. It is also on Facebook (www.facebook.com/headforpoints) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/headforpoints).

There are no ads on the blog and no credit card referral links. It is purely a public service product at the moment! (At the same time, I reserve the right to close it down if it becomes too time consuming.) It will not reduce the time I spend on FT, and I have no intention of 'outing' any loopholes discussed on FT which are best kept quiet - you can trust me on that. Over time, I think it will actually drive traffic to FT via my links.

I hope you find it useful, and please PM with any constructive criticism!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Great! Thanks for that.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Very interesting, and thank you. ^
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Excellent !
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Nice work indeed. Although you have missed some of the best perks of the Hyatt Gold Passport... I suggest reading the forum here on FT. ^

I find that if you indeed start a blog that you want to become very valuable it takes an awful lot of research and not just experience. It will be interesting to see it evolve.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:19 am
uk1
Suspended

As the FT'er that has informed me most to improve my and my wife's travels - a heart-felt thanks and good luck with the new blog. ^
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Nice one!

Very good looking site, clean and easy to read ^^
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:34 am

Thank you i will stop by often :-)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I don't know where you find the time but it looks great and will become a regular read for me. Pleased to see that your valuable input to FT on these things won't be diminished!

Best of luck with it.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:14 am

great!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:26 am

Programs: Meh!
Looks good - great idea.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC | VS FC | LH M&M
Good work Raffles. Thanks for the heads-up. ^
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Not OT at all! A great place to collect all the info! Good work ^
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
I'm a twitter follower!!^

Personal Target = 21k Non Flying Avios by End of 2012

Last edited by TheMajor; Jul 2, 2012 at 5:06 am
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Thank you for the kind remarks. Over 200 unique visitors from FT via the link above since this morning, which is an interesting sign of the 'posters vs lurkers' ratio here.

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Nice work indeed. Although you have missed some of the best perks of the Hyatt Gold Passport... I suggest reading the forum here on FT. ^

I find that if you indeed start a blog that you want to become very valuable it takes an awful lot of research and not just experience. It will be interesting to see it evolve.
What has been interesting over the last month whilst it was in beta mode was that there is, frankly, a lot I don't know a huge amount about! BA, BMI, Priority Club etc I know inside out. Other programmes, like Hyatt and Marriott, where I even have balances, I know 'enough' but will definitely learn more over time as I write about them.

That said, there is no better use for a low volume of Hyatt points than a suite upgrade in my view. I know all about the benefits of Diamond but the posts on buying Hyatt points were aimed at people who do not really have Hyatt status and have only a few points. Like my wife . Hyatt Diamond is also not a topic I would write about, except when comparing it to other top tiers, because it is fundamentally a US chain with only a relative scattering of hotels elsewhere, albeit very good ones. There is going to be a forthcoming post on the value of buying Hyatt Gift Certificates, because that is something that anyone can benefit from even if they never normally stay in a Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.