Search

Need help booking LAX-HKG via AVIOS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat
Exclamation Need help booking LAX-HKG via AVIOS

Hi all,

I cannot seem to find anyway to get to Hong Kong on OCt 11-16, 2012 (FIRST or BUSINESS) using my AVIOS Points.

It seems like these points have become less and less redeemable each year.

I have tired BA.com and clicking on the partner airlines but nothing shows up...yet when I check AA.com or Cathy I see reward seats.

Can someone please help me out....I'd be willing to travel via Shanghai if necessary

I've spent so many hours and still nowhere closer to my goal

Help!!!!!!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Are you looking to go one way anytime from Oct 11-16? Or round trip and you have to leave on the 11th and return on the 16th?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What award seats to HKG is aa.com showing you? The only carriers that aa.com can display on an award search are AA, AS, BA, and HA. Of those four, only BA flies to HKG, so you can't possibly be seeing award availability on CX (or JL) on aa.com.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by michaelm69
I have tired BA.com and clicking on the partner airlines but nothing shows up...yet when I check AA.com or Cathy I see reward seats.
This sounds as if it is a website problem, not an availability issue. Have you called BAEC To request the specific AA or CX flights which you see available?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
This sounds as if it is a website problem, not an availability issue. Have you called BAEC To request the specific AA or CX flights which you see available?

There is no way the poster would / could ever see availability on AA website for LAX to HKG - because AA website does not show partner availability other than AS, BA & HA. BA's flight to HKG would be from LHR, therefore AA would DEFINITELY NOT display a routing of LAX-LHR-HKG - so I really dont know what the heck the OP is talking about when he claimed he has seen award availability on AA website. I am not even sure his comment about availability on CX website is the correct award inventory or he is simply seeing Revenue ticket availability as he claimed he saw the availability on AA might very well be for revenue booking!

What he should do is, obviously, to call BAEC to inquire availability if he could not find it himself from online search on BA site, or search the JL site for the CX award availability.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat
Sorry. I meant to clarify that I found on aa.com flights for Shanghai as my last resort

I really need to go direct to hkg

I need round trip from Oct 10 returning around the 16th

Sorry for the confusion
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:55 am

Did a quick search on ba.com. Nothing outgoing on the 10/11 but found two CX LAX-HKG flights with F availability on 10/8.

Found several return flights on 10/16. One is HKG-NRT on CX in J, NRT-LAX on AA in F. Another is HKG-SFO on CX in F, SFO-LAX on AA in F.

Site is very slow right now so I didn't check other dates.

Availability changes frequently so something might open up later.

Just did a check via JAL and there appears to be a direct HKG-LAX CX flight on the 17th in J.

Last edited by uszkanni; Jun 21, 2012 at 1:12 am
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry. I meant to clarify that I found on aa.com flights for Shanghai as my last resort

Sorry for the confusion
IIRC, LAX-HKG costs 70k points in business, whereas both LAX-PVG and SFO-HKG only cost 50k points. I would pay more points to fly CX instead of AA though because it is much nicer.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Sorry for the confusion
If the dates and/or direct routing are really of utmost importance to you, did you try searching for Y availability? May not always get the cabin class you most want if there is a tradeoff between other factors such as mandatory dates. Also, there is a BAEC dedicated forum where you may want to ask airline/program specific questions such as this.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread moved from MilesBuzz! to British Airways forum which is the primary discussion venue for all Avois redemption topics.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
IIRC, LAX-HKG costs 70k points in business, whereas both LAX-PVG and SFO-HKG only cost 50k points. I would pay more points to fly CX instead of AA though because it is much nicer.
What about JL through NRT?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Well, LAX-NRT is 50k in biz, and then you need to pay for NRT-HKG separately (this is just the way the system works). I believe the latter is 10k in y or 20k in biz, though I wouldn't be surprised if it is 15k/30k (PEK-HKG is 10k, but NRT-HKG is a longer flight).
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Well, LAX-NRT is 50k in biz, and then you need to pay for NRT-HKG separately (this is just the way the system works). I believe the latter is 10k in y or 20k in biz, though I wouldn't be surprised if it is 15k/30k (PEK-HKG is 10k, but NRT-HKG is a longer flight).
It's longer by 1:05
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
NRT-HKG is 1,842 miles, so 10K/20K Avios for Economy/Business.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

NRT-HKG is 1,842 miles, so 10K/20K Avios for Economy/Business.
Do you have a link to any sort of award chart or guidelines on how this stuff works? My approach thus far is simply trial and error; I know:

-PEK-HKG costs 10k
-SHA-HKG costs 7.5k, as does MNL-HKG
-TPE-HKG and all intra-Japan costs 4.5k (providing you don't have to connect; otherwise, you're looking at 9k)

While I'm smart enough to understand that the formula is based on distance, it would be nice to know the cut off points.

Off topic, PEK-HEL for 40k miles in biz (SHA-HEL costs an additional 10k) is the best deal I've been able to identify under the current system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.