Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA not making CW reward seats available?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 11:54 am
Formerly known as McLovin'
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KVS
Unfortunately, no.
Okay, thanks for checking!
Old May 13, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Could you fly in BA F to one of the US locations Sixth Freedom listed as being available above (so you get to enjoy a classy longhaul), and then connect on a direct AA flight? Might be able to bag a cheap 'Instant Upgrade' F fare?

Have a super honeymoon, however you get there. We honeymooned on BA, and it was super. ^
Old May 13, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by McLovin'
Flying in any class on United is slumming it as far as I'm concerned.
You really don't look to help yourself do you

Given the fact BA food out of Gatwick remains distinctly sub par, I'm not quite sure what sort of 5* delights you were expecting on the flight to ANU, but at least this way you won't be disappointed.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by whiskerxx

Hilarious. The Preying Mantis strikes again!!

Hats off to you!
Don't worry, as my Amex Platinum is a corporate one I'm not eligible to earn referral bonuses, so once I have advised the OP I will send him straight to the Amex Plat vultures
Old May 13, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You really don't look to help yourself do you

Given the fact BA food out of Gatwick remains distinctly sub par, I'm not quite sure what sort of 5* delights you were expecting on the flight to ANU, but at least this way you won't be disappointed.
For me it's the seat and the crew that make all the difference. Having flown united a couple of times I swore I would never put myself through it again. That said, if it's one of the old Continental routes/birds it might be alright, still not up to BA standards though.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by McLovin'
Top man! pm sent
And I replied, good luck!

Please keep us posted on how you get are getting on and who knows?, maybe this thread will make it into the monthly newsletter!
Old May 13, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747_not_777
Could you fly in BA F to one of the US locations Sixth Freedom listed as being available above (so you get to enjoy a classy longhaul), and then connect on a direct AA flight? Might be able to bag a cheap 'Instant Upgrade' F fare?

Have a super honeymoon, however you get there. We honeymooned on BA, and it was super. ^
Thanks, really looking forward to it!

Yes, have been looking into that, difficult to find direct flights from most of those destinations though.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Good answer, I'm sure the OP never thought of that!
It's an appropriate response.

Common wisdom on here is if you see a deal go for it, as it's your own loss if you miss it; and if it's that important, pay for it - don't rely on chance for one of these 'trips of a lifetime'.

We flew BA for our honeymoon in 2008 - we we're fortunate enough to get F to CPT on a 2for1 redemption, but there was absolutely zero availability back from MRU, so paid for CW t make sure the holiday ended as it good as it started.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trickster
It's an appropriate response.

Common wisdom on here is if you see a deal go for it, as it's your own loss if you miss it; and if it's that important, pay for it - don't rely on chance for one of these 'trips of a lifetime'.

We flew BA for our honeymoon in 2008 - we we're fortunate enough to get F to CPT on a 2for1 redemption, but there was absolutely zero availability back from MRU, so paid for CW t make sure the holiday ended as it good as it started.
I appreciate what you are saying, but with all due respect I don't think the response given was the kind of advice he was looking for when he posted.

Anyway, he doesn't need to rely on chance, as a Gold he has the option of throwing Avios (rather than money) at the problem
Old May 13, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My suggestion is to cancel the reward bookings, forget about going premium and pay for WT or WT+ with cash instead.

At the end of the day it is a few hours on a plane and not worth agonising for months over only to be disappointed that reward availability did not open up in the end.

This way you will at least know where you stand, removing any doubt and uncertainty, and therefore putting your mind at rest.

Furthermore, you will have plenty of miles left over for another trip.

And if the wife to be throws a wobbly about not being in CW or F then run away as fast as you can!
Old May 13, 2012, 1:01 pm

I appreciate what you are saying, but with all due respect I don't think the response given was the kind of advice he was looking for when he posted.
If the OP is adamant that he must travel in CW or F, then limited availability notwithstanding, there is usually little choice to pay to secure the exact dates you want to fly.

Its funny how people on this board expect CW/F reward seats to be available, but show no flexibility in order to obtain them. People have become accustomed to flying in the good seats but never seem willing to pay for them
Old May 13, 2012, 1:09 pm

Anyway, he doesn't need to rely on chance, as a Gold he has the option of throwing Avios (rather than money) at the problem
Fair enough, after all I'm sure it's been considered. just go for a cheaper buffet and save some cash there - it never gets all eaten anyway!

I thought the double Avios for a GCH was only for economy?
Old May 13, 2012, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trickster
Fair enough, after all I'm sure it's been considered. just go for a cheaper buffet and save some cash there - it never gets all eaten anyway!

I thought the double Avios for a GCH was only for economy?
Not according to the terms pasted into post #11

Also, on this page it just says...

If there are no reward seats left within your chosen cabin or on the flight, with the Gold Priority Reward you have the option of using double the regular Avios to secure a seat of your choice on the flight, providing you book 30 days or more in advance. All you have to do is call us to make the arrangements.
Maybe you were thinking about this part?

Spending your Avios is one of the best bits of the Club but only if you can spend them on the flight you want, when you want. As a Gold Member you'll get access to additional reward availability in economy cabins at the standard price.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:27 pm

I'll help you get them, no problem!
^ thats what FT s about.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
My suggestion is to cancel the reward bookings, forget about going premium and pay for WT or WT+ with cash instead.
We have the seats in WT and I'm not keen on giving those up as right now we have seats on a plane that will get us there and back. I'm not averse to flying WT on a LH, I've done it plenty of times before, it's just that it's our honeymoon and my O/H isn't the best flyer so I'm keen to secure CW seats if at all possible (there is no F on this route).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.