Wiki Posts
Search

What's happening to MY lounge in DUS??

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Gold
What's happening to MY lounge in DUS??

Just got the email info that BA will be using the Hugo Junk(ers) lounge, starting May 13th, at DUS. I've used it in the past with my priority pass and it wasn't a very nice lounge. I can only hope they are doing a serious upgrade. Also can't imagine how they will squeeze the promised capacity of 148 into it.

Anybody know why they are going away from one of the nicest remote lounge they have?
Old May 7, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Bugslyboo
Just got the email info that BA will be using the Hugo Junk(ers) lounge, starting May 13th, at DUS. I've used it in the past with my priority pass and it wasn't a very nice lounge. I can only hope they are doing a serious upgrade. Also can't imagine how they will squeeze the promised capacity of 148 into it.

Anybody know why they are going away from one of the nicest remote lounge they have?
I received the same e-mail (being DUS based now).
The Hugo Junkers lounge has been sharing with the BA lounge for several months now while the HJ lounge has been refurbed, however I wasn't expecting BA to shift to the HJ lounge when the refurb was finished.
Maybe the existing lounge will become the 3rd party lounge, although the e-mail doesn't mention that.
There is going to be a big increase in usage now that Air Berlin flyers have access.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I wonder if Sky Team will try to take the old BA lounge, because the existing Sky Team lounge is terrible (and a trek to get to)
Old May 7, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
BA are moving to an all-Galleries concept network of lounges, and I guess DUS was not economical to refurbish the existing Terraces.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Also got the email, the only obvious addition is that of showers - interesting addition presumably of little interest to most commuters.

To be honest, the old Terraces is OK but I never thought much special. It provides me with free WiFi and a cold beer at the end of the day, pretty much all I need.

Let's see, will be in DUS next week.
Old May 7, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
I was in DUS a few weeks ago. From what I could understand from the posters in the lounge, the HJ lounge pax would use the BA lounge during their refurb, then the BA pax would use the HJ lounge during the BA refurb. Once the BA lounge is fully fitted, BA pax will moved back over to their side, and evythign will go on as usual. I was there from around 5-8 on a Tuesday evening. Whislt the place was busy, there were still (just) about enough seats lefts with the pax from the HJ lounge, + BA/IB/AY.

Hopefully the new lounge will have more space for single travellers, rather than lots of sofas for 2/3 people, which end up being used my just one person.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by shefgab
I was in DUS a few weeks ago. From what I could understand from the posters in the lounge, the HJ lounge pax would use the BA lounge during their refurb, then the BA pax would use the HJ lounge during the BA refurb. Once the BA lounge is fully fitted, BA pax will moved back over to their side, and evythign will go on as usual. I was there from around 5-8 on a Tuesday evening. Whislt the place was busy, there were still (just) about enough seats lefts with the pax from the HJ lounge, + BA/IB/AY.
That would be great if it was the case, but unfortunately the BA lounge is closing.

Originally Posted by Genius1
BA are moving to an all-Galleries concept network of lounges, and I guess DUS was not economical to refurbish the existing Terraces.
This was not a BA choice, the airport operator wanted the space back and that was the end of that
Old May 7, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anyone know when the lounge refurb will be complete?

Tomorrow I am doing the planning for a project in DUS requiring one or more visits and I would much prefer to arrange the visit to be to the newly refurbished lounge if possible!
Old May 8, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
I used the DUS Terraces lounge two or three weeks ago and found it pretty sub-par. Overcrowded, no doubt due to the late departure of two BA flights in a row, and as a result very poorly stocked:
  • No glasses, those that did come out 10 or 15 at a time and were quickly taken by pax patiently waiting for a glass of wine
  • No food, again when it did come out it was taken in a matter of one or two minutes by pax waiting again
  • Very little seating, I had to sit in the quiet zone, and make a few business calls, earning a few daggered looks

I'm sure this was just a one off, but my previous experience wasn't much better, the idea of them shifting to a smaller lounge, even short term, doesn't fill me with joy for my next visit in a few weeks.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by OrchardTravel
I used the DUS Terraces lounge two or three weeks ago and found it pretty sub-par. Overcrowded, no doubt due to the late departure of two BA flights in a row, and as a result very poorly stocked:
Whatever about the other comments, I fail to see how it could be overcrowded, even with two planes leaving at the same time! (Amsterdam is much smaller, and frequently has as many as 3 flights leaving at the same time - that's a lounge that sometimes gets "overcrowded"). DUS is a huge lounge (for an outstation). Or is it somehow busier since, perhaps, Air Berlin joined OneWorld? (Don't they have their own lounge there?)
Old May 8, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Whatever about the other comments, I fail to see how it could be overcrowded, even with two planes leaving at the same time! (Amsterdam is much smaller, and frequently has as many as 3 flights leaving at the same time - that's a lounge that sometimes gets "overcrowded"). DUS is a huge lounge (for an outstation). Or is it somehow busier since, perhaps, Air Berlin joined OneWorld? (Don't they have their own lounge there?)
Please just take my word that it was RAMMED. It really was, I believe there was an IB departure at the same time.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by OrchardTravel
I used the DUS Terraces lounge two or three weeks ago and found it pretty sub-par.
I have used it almost weekly for the past couple of years. Without doubt it's been a lot busier since the HJ customers moved in, although in fairness I've always been able to get a seat, and *almost* always been able to get a drink from the bar. Food can be hit and miss.

It's never been very widely-stocked, two choices of beer (Becks Gold and a local Altbier), one red, one white wine, no real food just bar nibbles and a few sandwiches.

Having said that it's basically a commuter lounge, and I very much doubt many people spend more than an hour or so there, unless there's a delay.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:27 am

Or is it somehow busier since, perhaps, Air Berlin joined OneWorld? (Don't they have their own lounge there?)
They do but it's in Terminal C, whereas they have flights leaving from both Terminals B and C. Never been in it myself, but I doubt it's as nice as the Terraces.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by magyaar
Without doubt it's been a lot busier since the HJ customers moved in, although in fairness I've always been able to get a seat, and *almost* always been able to get a drink from the bar. Food can be hit and miss.
Ahhh...that would explain it. So it's not just Air Berlin passengers, but also refugees from the closed Hugo Junkers lounge that swelled the numbers.

Mystery solved.

But if the BA lounge was overcrowded, what will it be like in the Hugo Junkers lounge when it reopens? (that's far smaller, isn't it???)

Shame that BA lounge is closing - it was (in my experience) a very nice and calm one!!!
Old May 8, 2012, 4:35 am

Shame that BA lounge is closing - it was (in my experience) a very nice and calm one!!!
I agree completely. Mainly because I need little else from a lounge than a seat and a beer at the end of the day. Which they provide very nicely

And I suppose if the 'new' lounge will operate closer to its capacity then that is a better use of space at DUS. I've not been to the HJ lounge, so will report back on my next trip.

DUS generally is one of my favourite airports, I don't have status with LH, but when I fly with them I still find Terminal A quite pleasant, especially the cafe which does those excellent flatbread-type pizzas (if you can get a seat there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.