Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Fuel Surcharges for CE pax forced to disembark from rear of a/c at LGW and LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Fuel Surcharges for CE pax forced to disembark from rear of a/c at LGW and LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold

What can be done for CE pax that have paid Business Fuel Surcharge to BA yet are forced by the same to disembark at rear of aircraft that arrive from Jersey into International gate at LGW, and arrive from Europe into Domestic gate at LHR?

Surely you could at least put steps at front of a/c? (BA323 on 29th April could have done this since ramp was no where near nose of a/c.....), or better still have better ground handling arrangement (particularly at LHR where BA should control the terminal and if they had staff, they could make arrangements to ensure the that arriving pax are allowed to disembark into the terminal and turn "right" by being blocked from Domestic area (but apparently the poor T5 design means this is "impossible")......

So what compensation has been offered to anyone?

Thoughts and experiences.....
Old May 2, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Erm, I'm not sure what the fuel surcharge has to do with the steps being placed at the back of the plane ?

If you're talking about the APD that is charged according to cabin that's a government tax, nothing to do with BA.

BA don't control T5 - T5 is owned and operated by BAA.

BAH
Old May 2, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Oh dear. I genuinely thought this was a spoof...
Old May 2, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Er no absotely not a spoof.

It happens all too often.

I'll tell you all that if BA stopped operating, then BAA are nothing, no more.....

Say what you like but that's the way it is.

CAA take from BAA take from BA take from PAX for various things...
but for fuel surcharges that stop with BA, they charge CE pax more than ET (normally a lot more), and for what? I don't check anything in and travel with less weight overall, so I am paying to get off of the a/c quickly, not wait until last......

So if BA wanted, they could do a lot about this at LHR T5.

Also BAA don't own LGW, so it can't be them at LGW.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I thought that rear exit was the BMI speciality!

I have never had that happen on BA yet, but obviously it occasionally happens.

Not great, I've got to say, and it would annoy me if it happens more than a few times a year.

I'm not into compensations so I can't comment on that, but a kick up the rear end of BAA and anyone who makes the decision to exit everyone from the rear would satisfy me rather nicely.

A bit OT, but if I may say it anyway while we are talking about the rear end and what not, what I would love to have, if they must do the bus boarding or funny entry/exit is to use dual stairs. They should learn from what Virgin Blue does excellently and extremely swiftly in Australia. Even BA does dual stairs boarding at some outposts. Why not at LHR?
Old May 2, 2012, 2:42 pm

Why do you think that if BA went under BAA would go along with them ?

A little thought shows this not to be the case. BA's slots are valuable and other operators will quickly pay a lot of money to acquire them and take BA's place.

Write to BA and complain if you think you have a case. Ranting here will do nothing to advance your (non-existent) case.

BAH
Old May 2, 2012, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I am not posting here for me - complaining personally will only achieve IMHO personal benefits - it happens too often and CE pax are paying for a service they have not received - and there really is no excuse for BA to keep on doing this, particularly at T5.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by boadh398
... and there really is no excuse for BA to keep on doing this, particularly at T5.
Out of interest how often has it happened to you as a percentage of flights ?

It's never happened to me at all and I'd say 75% of my flights are European Shorthaul.

Not saying it's not annoying, but I do think it's a rare occurrence.

BAH
Old May 2, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Out of interest how often has it happened to you as a percentage of flights ?

It's never happened to me at all and I'd say 75% of my flights are European Shorthaul.

Not saying it's not annoying, but I do think it's a rare occurrence.

BAH
20 to 25k GBP per year only PAR-LHR (return)......so......

I would say about 90% of LGW inbounds from JER for me, and about 5% of my LHR inbounds - given I fly about 200 sectors per year, then you can see it is too often.

It is worse than disembarking from door 2 after pax paying a lower fuel surcharge (as well indeed as paying lower gvt taxes) have already disembarked.

BA - KYA (where A is a/c or airport) is as import as KYC!
Old May 2, 2012, 3:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It has happened to me once in the past, arriving into T5 when I had a short connection. I cannot say I was particularly happy at being the last to board the final coach.

Thankfully the situation at LGW involving domestic arrivals at international gates has improved during recent trips. Gate mismatches still happen but passengers now alight via the forward door and make their way to the awaiting bus via the internal staircase attached to the air bridge, so at very least those seated at the front of the aircraft are assured a position on the first coach.

Whilst irritating, its not something that would push me to raising a complaint but my travel will be much less frequent than your own, boadh398 and thus i am less exposed to such operational anomalies.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:06 pm

20 to 25k GBP per year only PAR-LHR (return)......so......

I would say about 90% of LGW inbounds from JER for me, and about 5% of my LHR inbounds - given I fly about 200 sectors per year, then you can see it is too often.

It is worse than disembarking from door 2 after pax paying a lower fuel surcharge (as well indeed as paying lower gvt taxes) have already disembarked.

BA - KYA (where A is a/c or airport) is as import as KYC!
From what you post it sounds to me as though this is a route-dependent phenomenon. And you seem you have drawn an extremely short straw.

I know this is going to be anathema - but if 90% of your LGW inbounds from JER are cursed with the rear exit (ahem) why don't you fly ET, get the seat right at the back and laugh all the way down the steps ? It's a short sector so not much of a hardship

BAH
Old May 2, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I thought that rear exit was the BMI speciality!

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have never had that happen on BA yet, but obviously it occasionally happens.
You obviously do not use LGW shorthaul that often
Old May 2, 2012, 3:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Hey, let me have a dig at BMI, I'm one of the BMI refugees (and I do love the old dear).

I have had quite a few arrivals at the domestic gate when I was on an international flight and having had to get on the bus from rear stairs despite the aerobridge being connected so I got used to the idea with BMI. It was annoying enough but I sighed and carried on. Or carried (my hand luggage) off down the stairs, more like.

You obviously do not use LGW shorthaul that often
I don't, because BA don't operate enough flights from LGW (boo!).

I did fly quite a bit ex-LGW last summer but it was all to a non-EU destination and I don't recall being treated to a rear exit even once. I am not sure if the fact that the flight was non-EU had anything to do with it though. I think I've been pretty lucky based on what others are saying.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:49 pm
Suspended

This is, by far, the most bizarre thread I have ever had the misfortune to read.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

it happens too often and CE pax are paying for a service they have not received -
Nowhere on ba.com does it state that part of the CE service is that you will always exit the aircraft from the front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.