Search

£150 for Silver... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Pretty much as the title says... is £150 for silver (executive club status) worth it?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
For Silver what
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
For Silver what
For silver Executive Club status.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Depends on how much you intend to fly BA or OW airlines
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Yes but the point is how that £150 is getting you status. I assume it is to pay for a flight that will give you the required TPs.

To answer the question, it depends on your flight patterns. For me I fly regularly on business but in Y (company policy) so I would say that it is easily worth it as I wouldn't get lounge access, per boarding, better luggage allowance etc.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joely
Yes but the point is how that £150 is getting you status. I assume it is to pay for a flight that will give you the required TPs.
I've been offered to retain my BD silver status for a £150 fee (as I haven't retained it this year by flying mostly on award travel), which will be converted to BA silver at some point in the future.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; SPG Platinum; Avis President's Club

And how much you fly CW vs WT/WT+

£150 would be a definite for me as work policy is WT so having the extra perks of Silver would make life much better (Lounge access; priority boarding, particularly on US domestic).

If I was flying CW then the lounge access benefit is moot so I might be inclined to not bother... As has been mentioned earlier, depends on your expected flying pattern.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
For £150. Good grief yes, that's giving it aaway. Please could you tell e how becaise my requalification has so far cost about 20 times that.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Ultimately it depends on how much you travel. It means that you'll never have to pay for a seat selection but we do not your means. Too many non-FTers 150 would be an utter waste of money to anyone here they'd be on to it like a rat up a rope.

I suspect that the re-qualifiactions will go up next year as there are going to be too many people in the Lounges. That is based on my own common sense not anything mooted at BA.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
sunrisegirl, this offer is for Diamond Club members.

You would have to be DC Silver for at least a year, and then drop to Blue not having requalified for Silver. You would then receive an offer to buy back up to Silver for £150.

This would now be converted on/from May 1st to BAEC Silver.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by BA6501
sunrisegirl, this offer is for Diamond Club members.

You would have to be DC Silver for at least a year, and then drop to Blue not having requalified for Silver. You would then receive an offer to buy back up to Silver for £150.

This would now be converted on/from May 1st to BAEC Silver.

Hope this helps
Thank you

And is DC Silver on a par with EC Silver? I'd always heard it wasn't but more equivalent to Bronze/Ruby.

As PUCCI says this could make the lounges horrendously busy, and see lots of favourite seats disappear. Not good news.

I suspect this will be the last year I bother going for silver when it's more or less given away to others. Wish I'd saved the almost 3k I've spent already.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: BA soon to be Silver
If intended to fly at least three times in economy in the next twelve months - yes.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Worth it? A SC for £150 is a steal. I would jump at it before the offer disappears.

Here's the official benefits enjoyed by Silver members
  • 100% bonus Avios on all BA, IB and AA flights.
  • 25% bonus Avios on QF flights.
  • Allocate seats for yourself and other members in your party free of charge, at the time of booking (excluding exit row seats).
  • You may use a Club World, Club Europe and.equivalent oneworld business class check-in desks, irrespective of what class of ticket you have.
  • You and one guest may relax in a BA Galleries Club/Terraces/Executive Club and oneworld business class departure lounge.
  • Priority boarding.

Alternatively, you could apply your hard earned £150 towards a PP Standard Plus membership. At £159, it offers ten free entries into airport lounges. Guests attract an additional fee at £15 pp per entry.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: ABBA
sunrisegirl I assume (hope) your £3k was spent on specific flights (weekends away etc) and upgrades, not just tier-point runs.

If you fly long haul, silver really isn't hard to get. Even in deep-discount economy that's only one flight per month.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Thank you

And is DC Silver on a par with EC Silver? I'd always heard it wasn't but more equivalent to Bronze/Ruby.
Well, in its current form, no. But with the bmi integration, BD Silver will be matched to BA Silver from May 1st. So from then it would be on par (as it will be the same )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.