Wiki Posts
Search

BMI / BA Frustrations - Worries

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Internaut
Maybe, but I've never actually managed to get a clear enough line to the ICC to understand what the person at the other end is saying (tried from both landline and mobile). Besides, I do actually want some choice as to when and how I use my miles.
Persistence is the key!

You need to try a couple of times at least, and you may need to try again just to speak to someone who has some kind of an idea of what they are doing. It's frustrating at times, but you will get there. I recently managed to blow away 180,000 miles for Singapore via Tokyo in a mixture of F and J.

None of my miles were from credit cards - they genuinely came from flying (but mostly NOT on BMI, I'm ashamed to say), BAA Worldpoints and those BD 1,000 miles surveys .
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:04 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Maybe, but I've never actually managed to get a clear enough line to the ICC to understand what the person at the other end is saying (tried from both landline and mobile). Besides, I do actually want some choice as to when and how I use my miles.
Then, may I recommend then that you come to the bmi forum and maybe ask for some help in redeeming those miles, because you have far more 'choice' with *A than with OW. Especially if you like to travel in J/F cabins. I, and hundreds (if not thousands) of others' have been able to make reservations over the past few years with the ICC, and been successful - no reason why you can't either.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:06 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Nice website!!!

Same it doesn't let you select class and doesn't appear to work for OW either

Are you involved with that site rxfleming?
Nope, just found it through FT.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:43 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by rxfleming
You sir, are a fool - those points are the most useful points in the world, and far much more useful than being held in a BAEC account where they will be worth around 50% less (due to the ridiculous redemption rates in BAEC). I would happily call the ICC and use those 500k miles quite easily on *A redemptions before the 19th of April if I was you. But if that's too much hassle...
You have considerably more choice with *A at burn rates that are multiple factors lower, reduced even further if you use Cash plus Miles. You can also position easier from Europe to avoid APD.

Even factoring in a BA 2-4-1 I view BMI miles as 2-3x more useful than BA. Check out Asian & Australian availability vs BA for one...

YMMV but I think you're nuts.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Then, may I recommend then that you come to the bmi forum and maybe ask for some help in redeeming those miles, because you have far more 'choice' with *A than with OW. Especially if you like to travel in J/F cabins. I, and hundreds (if not thousands) of others' have been able to make reservations over the past few years with the ICC, and been successful - no reason why you can't either.
Indeed, I very much enjoyed an F LHR-ZRH-JFK-LAS on LX/CO coming back in J LAS-LAX-LHR on US/NZ in 2009, for around 40,000-50,000 miles and circa 400-500 if I remember correctly, it would probably cost around the same and definitely use more Avios these days to do it on BA in Y!

It was very tough to book though, it must have taken at least a couple of hours worth of calls to the ICC, trying to find a suitable agent.

I still have circa 40,000 BMI miles sitting about at the moment and would've liked to have used them on a similar redemption this year, taking that trip on a redemption though would have meant losing status with BA though, so I'm now hoping for as high an exchange as possible. I've never really looked into it by I've always pretty much valued the points equally, so I would hope to get around a 1:1 conversion
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stewaran
so you can get proper club world on these flights
Yep, with your meal properly served on one proper tray.

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Interesting that there are three types of DC member on this thread and probably in DC as a whole:

Those who fly BMI
Those who used to fly BMI but now mainly star (prob LHR or MAN based flyers)
Those who never set foot on BMI

BA's network could satisfy 90% of groups 1 and 2 but the volume of number 3s will be the worry, but how many of these are actually likely to move to Oneworld? I would have thought most are loyal to star and are probably working on Agean or M&M by now anyway. So I don't think the lounges would be over full. That leaves the miles liability, of which there might be many millions in group 3 which would be redeemed on Oneworld, with cost to BA. Groups 1 and 2 would probably mainly use BA so less cost, maybe even some profit.

I wonder of they will find some way of splitting the DC client base to reward those who were loyal to BMI, or at least loyal to Heathrow so likely to use BA? Could they give a better deal to UK members?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:16 am

Programs: BA silver, CO
I know nobody knows for sure yet, but I am considering booking GLA/EDI to CPH on bmi regional in September and I was wondering if I am relatively safe in assuming the below?

• The flights will most likely operate, but there is more uncertainty than if it was mainline bmi
  • I will not earn *A miles
  • I will not earn avios
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Same it doesn't let you select class ...
Oh, it does.

The first search includes all available classes. If any part is in biz or first, you can click top left in
Cabin Class
  • Business
  • First
  • Economy
  • Apply to all segments
to show itineraries where at least part is in F or J; clicking on 'apply to all segments' produces itineraries where all segments are in F or J, as appropriate.
... and doesn't appear to work for OW either
On the itineraries I have checked, it produces the same results as ba.com - 0.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
I had this email recently from the Diamond club.....

Dear LHRworker

We'd like to advise you of some forthcoming changes to the bmi Diamond Club programme.

From 19 April 2012, the ability for Diamond Club members to earn Status and Destinations miles and to redeem miles will cease on the Lufthansa Group airlines (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian Airlines, and Brussels Airlines).

Any redemption tickets issued prior to this date for travel will be honoured.

All Star Alliance status benefits will remain unaffected by this change.

We are working with British Airways to offer Diamond Club customers the ability to earn and redeem miles on British Airways and its oneworld partners following completion of the sale. We will do everything we can to communicate more detail as soon as possible.

Regards
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: DC Gold, BA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I was a regular user of BMI metal on short haul and long haul routes until they started focusing on the Middle east routes and chopped their domestic schedules. So I put in the hard work for about 10 years with them to earn Gold. But the last 2 /3 years it's been mainly via * alliance partners.
It's a shame that they ended up in this position. Status match doesn't worry me that much - just more concerned like others about my 750k miles....
Managed to redeem 250k at weekend though, so feel slightly better.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I don't see them valuing a DC mile the same as 1 Avios.
cough
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
tried that years ago and all I got was unhelpful responses and told I was not being flexible enough because I didnt want to fly to the US via Germany.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

cough
Yes I said that on purpose in order to start mass panic redeeming amongst the DC membership so they would get shot of their miles before the transfer.

It worked.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:13 am
Suspended

Dear nth_utsera_sth_ustsera

I'm writing to advise you of some important changes to the Diamond Club programme following the sale of bmi to IAG, the owner of British Airways, on 20 April 2012.

As a result, there are some key changes to your Diamond Club membership, which I would like to outline below, which also includes an invitation from British Airways.

1. Announcement of bmi's exit from Star Alliance
2. A new partnership with British Airways
3. Business as usual for Diamond Club

1. bmi's exit from Star Alliance
I'd firstly like to advise that from 20 April bmi will no longer be a member of Star Alliance.

However, you will still be able to enjoy the following Star Alliance benefits associated with your membership tier level until 31 May 2012.
You will continue to earn membership status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on bmi and Star Alliance carriers (excluding Lufthansa Group airlines) until 31 May 2012
For all Star Alliance carriers you will also be able to take advantage of your bmi and Star Alliance status benefits, including lounge access, priority check-in and priority boarding until 31 May 2012
From 1 June 2012 any benefits associated with your tier membership and the ability to earn status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on Star Alliance airlines will end
Star Alliance award bookings made before 31 May 2012 will be honoured
For further information including changes to award bookings, retrospective claims and award flight bookings please visit flybmi.com

2. A new partnership with British Airways
We're pleased to announce that Diamond Club members will benefit from a new partnership with British Airways from 20 April 2012.
All members will be able to earn destinations miles on BA, for flights taken from 20 April 2012, and we will shortly introduce the option to spend your destinations miles on BA award flights
From today, Diamond Club Gold and Silver members will be able to access the British Airways lounges at London Heathrow and London Gatwick, when flying with bmi or British Airways - please present your Diamond Club Gold or Silver card on arrival to gain access
As part of the transition of bmi into British Airways, from 1 May 2012 British Airways is inviting you, as a Diamond Club member, to also join the Executive Club at your equivalent tier status level. Diamond Club Gold customers will be invited to become Gold members of the Executive Club and Silver members to become Silver, which will be in addition to your Diamond Club membership. Further details will follow shortly.
You will also be able to transfer your destinations miles to Executive Club Avios points at a rate of 1:1. British Airways will also be offering Executive Club customers the ability to transfer from Executive Club Avios points into destinations miles at a rate of 1:1. For example 100 destinations miles could be transferred into 100 Avios points and vice versa.
We are creating an online tool that will allow Diamond Club and Executive Club customers to undertake transfers, which will be available from 3 July 2012. We will contact you nearer that date to explain how the tool will work and how to access it.

3. Business as usual for Diamond Club
Although today we are announcing a number of changes to the programme, we would like to assure you that it is business as usual for Diamond Club, including members who have a bmi Credit Card Account with MBNA.
We very much appreciate your loyalty to bmi and hope that you continue to enjoy the benefits of Diamond Club membership.
For more information on the changes please visit flybmi.com
We look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.