Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

More night flights in LHR equals Steeper trajectory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More night flights in LHR equals Steeper trajectory

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Heathrow has expanded dramatically in the last 50 years, anyone that owned a house in the environs before 1960 should be compensated -- I'd suggest buying their house at 3 times the market rate should do the trick.
Absolutely agree with you, but I'd wager that a hefty proportion (95% or more*) have moved in since then.

How about a sliding scale of, as you say, 3 x market value compensation for those who were there when LHR was made of grass all the way along to the price of a pair of ear-plugs for those who moved in since the airport reached its current capacity?

*Absolute guess of course, but I suspect not inaccurate.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The basic footprint of LHR is as constructed in the late 40s. Before then, it was basically a 'nothing'.

And the main runways were always 27L/R, so no change there either.

So for the last 50+ years the presence of LHR, within 'the wire', is largely hn changed. It's just busier now.

Would I buy a house on final approach for an international airport? You jest!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I live 11.5 miles from the threshold of an International Airport (SFO) and whenever SFO lands across the bay (often in the winter/rainy time) I hear all those heavy's go over our house at all time of the day and night. And my house was here before the airport existed (1886 while SFO was opened in 1927).

And yes, I complain sometimes about the noise, esp at 1-2am in the morning.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:24 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I live 11.5 miles from the threshold of an International Airport (SFO) and whenever SFO lands across the bay (often in the winter/rainy time) I hear all those heavy's go over our house at all time of the day and night. And my house was here before the airport existed (1886 while SFO was opened in 1927).

And yes, I complain sometimes about the noise, esp at 1-2am in the morning.
Ah but the key point is you weren't there pre 1927 (or where you) and certainly not when the house was built @:-)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Purely by co-incidence i'd been forwarded this link which fits in right here.

http://www.retronaut.co/2010/02/heathrow-airport-1935/

“As rural as anywhere in England. There is a calmness and serenity about it that is soothing in a mad rushing world”. This is how the tiny hamlet of Heathrow, at the edge of a heath and bordered by fields, was described by Gordon Maxwell in “Highwayman’s Heath” published in 1935.
And to be fair, the houses at Heathrow looked so serene then, I would happily have purchased one of those lovely cottages. I mean, these flying machines, just a folly, no future in them right?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, according to Google Earth [which now has historic data in layers] … it looks like most housing pre-existed LHR. Apart from Stanwell and Feltham, which just grew and grew ...

LHR, Dec 1945 …

And in 2010 …

Last edited by T8191; Apr 11, 2012 at 10:29 am Reason: Wrong estates.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ryainair boss complains that people who live near airports should learn to live with the noise. If you buy a house then what do they expect.

I cant see BAA making this happen, I am sorry to report. The reason for this is T8191 comments about LHR. The shops would need to be 24/7. Who would really want to buy goods when you travel through LHR at silly o'clock. Also food would be hit. We know where BAA make their money..
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:46 am
BOH

Originally Posted by origin
Ryainair boss complains that people who live near airports should learn to live with the noise. If you buy a house then what do they expect.

I cant see BAA making this happen, I am sorry to report. The reason for this is T8191 comments about LHR. The shops would need to be 24/7. Who would really want to buy goods when you travel through LHR at silly o'clock. Also food would be hit. We know where BAA make their money..
Ah yes, but 2 things.

1. It would surely result in a net increase of pax going through the airport - and at a different time to usual so wouldn't hit the existing trade during current core hours. And those pax who tend to spend money on goods (meaning non-food) will surely do that anyway regardless of time. Tax free is tax free to many even though us FF's know it isn't really the bargain they make it out to be

2. And folks will still drink tea, coffee, eat snacks etc at any hour whilst waiting for a flight
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only if the Shopping Mall can afford to pay all those staff in the hope that some Midnight Traveller has an urgent need for a Tumi carry-on or a Lauren Polo at 0230. Does that really shout economic sense?

OK, the Coffee and Burger people can manage - they pay minimum wages anyway.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:57 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by T8191
Only if the Shopping Mall can afford to pay all those staff in the hope that some Midnight Traveller has an urgent need for a Tumi carry-on or a Lauren Polo at 0230. Does that really shout economic sense?.
You should see the "midnight travelers" shopping at 2AM at DXB, BAH etc!

A lot of this type of shopping is more to do with "want" as opposed to "need" anyways.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:57 am
BOH

Originally Posted by T8191
Only if the Shopping Mall can afford to pay all those staff in the hope that some Midnight Traveller has an urgent need for a Tumi carry-on or a Lauren Polo at 0230. Does that really shout economic sense?

OK, the Coffee and Burger people can manage - they pay minimum wages anyway.
Yes a fair point! I wonder how do other airports manage that are 24 hours....do they just staff the coffee shops and newsagents and the main shops are closed? Not sure what airports are 24 hour TBH - presumably DXB, SIN and HKG are?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheap staff = simples.

UK staff = can't afford to do it.

Which, of course, might explain some of the UK's economic problems, but I would be grateful if you would just take that as a comparative observation and not divert a interesting thread about night ops at LHR
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
And to be fair, the houses at Heathrow looked so serene then, I would happily have purchased one of those lovely cottages. I mean, these flying machines, just a folly, no future in them right?
I have sympaphy with people who were not neccersailly alive before 1960, but are living in a house that's been occupied by their parents (and grandparents) since pre 1960.

The 1960 date is that's when the "jet age" really began, or so I'm led to believe. If you've bought a house near an airport that currently takes schedules flights at the level LHR did in 1960, you've only got yourself to blame.

Originally Posted by AJLondon
You should see the "midnight travelers" shopping at 2AM at DXB, BAH etc!

A lot of this type of shopping is more to do with "want" as opposed to "need" anyways.
Depends. I bought some perfume at DXB at stupid-am on the way back home from ISB, one does need to provide a peace offering for the other half having been gone for 2 weeks.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Yes a fair point! I wonder how do other airports manage that are 24 hours....do they just staff the coffee shops and newsagents and the main shops are closed? Not sure what airports are 24 hour TBH - presumably DXB, SIN and HKG are?
HKG really gets quiet between 1 and 5, although I don't think it officially closes. I remember taking a 1am-ish flight to DOH and was the only one in the CX F lounge after the last LHR flight left.

SIN, BKK and DEL are definitely 24 hour airports though. With a lot of shops that stay open.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Depends. I bought some perfume at DXB at stupid-am on the way back home from ISB, one does need to provide a peace offering for the other half having been gone for 2 weeks.
Would that be a need to satisfy your wants upon being re-united with the other half then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.