Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will BA start Portland, Oregon, USA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by erik1868
Exactly. If Virgin adds Seattle, it might make sense for BA to look further afield for Pacific NW expansion.

YVR (metro pop. 2.3 million): ACx1, BAx2, VSx1
SEA (metro pop. 3.5 million): BAx1, (potentially) VSx1
PDX (metro pop. 2.3 million): nada

I for one would adore this route.
there is NO way YVR can support 2 flights per day other than in perhaps certain days in the summer...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
The PDX capture area is just above 3 million. Aside from that, metro area populations are not an accurate way for predicting international service.It all has to do with demand. Honolulu has a metro area population of nearly 1 mil but has nearly 15 daily nonstops to Asia. STL metro is nearly 3 million and doesn't have jack. I think PDX-LHR would work out great. It's PDX's largest international destination not currently served nonstop.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:07 pm

The dream of the 90s

The link upthread is broken or barred outside the US:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_9C...yer_detailpage
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mkjr
there is NO way YVR can support 2 flights per day other than in perhaps certain days in the summer...
BA already do don't they?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed they do, in summer at least. YVR is the route I fly most and I can't recall seeing an empty seat in WT (though it has been a few years). I have never seen an empty seat in WTP. I have seen the odd empty seat downstairs in CW. F is always 50-100% full.

Of course YVR is totally awesome, so it can support the number of direct flights it gets compared to SEA. Before anyone says yes, but it is just a leisure destination while I may not visit YVR for business I am on business trips. I just choose to leave north america from YVR after some R&R. To the extent that I have flown into SFO from London around a dozen times, but never flown back to London from SFO.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by HIDDY
re read my post....I said other than summer and it is not the whole thing.....being from yvr, I never get the interest in the city. But then again having skiied 50 times a year for many years with shot knees might do that to you.[I rarely ski anywhere since it just does not turn my crank so take that for what it is worth in terms of my views of my home town]

maybe having left I underestimate the draw. Oh well.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:12 pm

SJC for SV?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Hopefully once the new 787s are delivered!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:02 am

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
Portland is only 175 miles from Seattle.

That means that Portland is served by Seattle and a flight between the two is about £50 upwards.

I can't see a reason for BA to open a route to Portland, for this reason.

Yes, Seattle is only 140 miles from Vancouver, but they are in different countries.

BA operate on a 'hub and spoke' basis as their business model and in the USA they use AA as the provider of the domestic spoke flights. You can fly to Portland via an AA hub, just like you can fly to UK regional airports from LHR.

There are already lots of 1-stop options between LHR and PDX, so the destination is well served.

There is no more likelihood of BA operating to multiple destinations that are in close proximity to each other in the USA (other than existing ones on high volume/high profit routes) than there is of them starting to operate international flights from UK regional airports.

Last edited by kirky; Oct 7, 2012 at 2:13 am
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:04 am

that argument doesnt stack up when BA do exactly that in multiple sites ie Florida, California and New York areas. I personally don't think there will be a Portland route, but it won't be for those reasons. The analogy of hub and spoke is exactly what a route to Portland would be- another spoke to LHR hub.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gw76
that argument doesnt stack up when BA do exactly that in multiple sites ie Florida, California and New York areas.
Seriously??
-Florida, California and NY are tourist destinations. PDX is not.
-LAX, SFO and SAN have large metro area populations. PDX does not.
-NY/NJ/CT is 20+ million people. PDX is not.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Don't laugh, but I actually see a market for LHR-MKE for the following reasons:

1. Businesses in the Milwaukee area. There are actually about two dozen Fortune 1000 companies in the greater metro area, including Manpower (with an enormous presence in the UK and Europe), R.W. Baird (financial institution also with a UK presence) and several pharmaceutical wholesale suppliers.

2. Business and leisure traffic from the northernmost Chicago suburbs. Given the option of a 25-50min drive to ORD or a 60-80min drive to MKE and the ease of using each airport upon arrival I think some may choose to go to MKE instead, particularly if it meant avoiding the 5pm traffic in the ORD vicinity when trying to make an evening flight to Europe.
I like this idea also. MKE has plenty of open gates with the drastic reduction in service by Frontier. The current runway lengths, 9990 feet and 8300 feet can handle a 777.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Don't laugh, but I actually see a market for LHR-MKE for the following reasons:

1. Businesses in the Milwaukee area. There are actually about two dozen Fortune 1000 companies in the greater metro area, including Manpower (with an enormous presence in the UK and Europe), R.W. Baird (financial institution also with a UK presence) and several pharmaceutical wholesale suppliers.

2. Business and leisure traffic from the northernmost Chicago suburbs. Given the option of a 25-50min drive to ORD or a 60-80min drive to MKE and the ease of using each airport upon arrival I think some may choose to go to MKE instead, particularly if it meant avoiding the 5pm traffic in the ORD vicinity when trying to make an evening flight to Europe.
Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
I like this idea also. MKE has plenty of open gates with the drastic reduction in service by Frontier. The current runway lengths, 9990 feet and 8300 feet can handle a 777.
+1
MKE makes a lot more sense than PDX. Plus parking is only $5 a day.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Seriously??
The discussion was whether they would operate from multiple nearby cities. Which in fact they do, regardless of the reasons.
It is not all about Portland specifically- you omitted the figures for Seattle Vancouver Portland etc as a combined catchment as in your other examples.
Its not going to happen anyway so there is no point in second guessing.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kirky
BA operate on a 'hub and spoke' basis as their business model and in the USA they use AA as the provider of the domestic spoke flights. You can fly to Portland via an AA hub, just like you can fly to UK regional airports from LHR.
AA dropped PDX-ORD a few years ago.

The only BA/AA route is LHR-DFW-PDX.
LHR-DFW and LHR-PDX are comparable nonstop distances (4,750 vs 4,914 miles).
At present you get to Dallas and still have a layover and 3.5 hour DFW-PDX segment in front of you.
It's a 16-17 hour trip all told.

For some reason BA.com does not sell AS PDX-SEA flights connecting to SEA-LHR and vice versa.

You can use a 3rd party site and use a 4-segment multi-city search, but it's difficult to find and not always priced consistently with other options.

Last edited by erik1868; Oct 8, 2012 at 4:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.