Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Upgrade for 2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Gold Upgrade for 2

I'm 45 TPs short of 2500 which means when I go to Delhi this Tuesday I'll qualify for a "Gold upgrade for 2" voucher.

Does anyone know if I can use this voucher:

1. On a booking made by a Travel Agent?
2. On a booking made with Avios?
3. Could I split it and upgrade one person out and return rather than 2 people for one leg?
4. Can I give it to someone else?

I'm sure it will come with clear Terms and Conditions but I thought I'd ask you all as you're all so knowledgable about these things!

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I believe so, yes
Yes, full redemptions only though. Not when you have already MFU'd
3. Could I split it and upgrade one person out and return rather than 2 people for one leg?
The GUF2 is for a return ticket. You both get upgraded for the entire ticket. Outbound & Inbound. Needs to be on one PNR.
No idea. If you can, PM me.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL + CCR), Star* G, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Atalanta
I'm 45 TPs short of 2500 which means when I go to Delhi this Tuesday I'll qualify for a "Gold upgrade for 2" voucher.

Does anyone know if I can use this voucher:

I'm sure it will come with clear Terms and Conditions but I thought I'd ask you all as you're all so knowledgable about these things!

Thanks!
4. You can book a trip for anyone and use the GUF2 for them (i.e. you do not have to travel yourself) but you need to make the booking (and pay for the taxes).
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by johanperson
4. You can book a trip for anyone and use the GUF2 for them (i.e. you do not have to travel yourself) but you need to make the booking (and pay for the taxes).
So, PM me!

Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Rules can be found here:
http://www.britishairways.com/main/e.../?sl=guft#guft
1. The Gold Upgrade for Two is a single cabin class upgrade available on a single or return booking of up to 2 people made on the same reservation. For example: :
•Euro Traveller to Club Europe
•World Traveller to World Traveller Plus (where fitted on the aircraft)
•World Traveller to Club World (where World Traveller Plus is not fitted on the aircraft)
•World Traveller Plus to Club World
•Club World to First (where fitted on the aircraft)

2. The Gold Upgrade for Two must be booked within 12 months from the date of issue.

3. The Gold Upgrade for Two can be used in conjunction with any published fare sold directly by British Airways, including Avios Points redemption bookings. However, it excludes group bookings and those sold as part of a packaged holiday. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be used in conjunction with any industry or agency discounted fares.

4. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be used in conjunction with any bookings that have already been subject to an upgrade (Avios Points for Upgrade or Gold Upgrade for Two) or any other promotions/offers.

5. Rules of the ticket are governed by the original fare paid. In the case of redemption tickets Standard Redemption Rules apply.

6. The Gold Upgrade for Two is available for British Airways and franchise operated flights only. Partner and codeshare flights excluded.

7. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be applied to a booking containing any other carriers than British Airways.

8. To upgrade a new Avios Points booking please go to ba.com or contact your Service Centre, or to upgrade an existing Avios Points booking please contact your Service Centre. To upgrade a new paid booking please go to ba.com, or, in UK and North America contact your Service Centre. If outside UK and North America please contact your Sales Office. To upgrade an existing paid booking, please contact your Service Centre. You must advise at time of booking that you wish to use your Gold Upgrade for Two. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be redeemed at the airport.

9. When a Member books a Gold Upgrade for Two direct with British Airways the Member must pay for the ticket, but is permitted to give the ticket and upgrade to someone else.

10. The Member and/ or those travelling using the Gold Upgrade for Two will be personally responsible for any tax payable by them as a result of this offer.

11. The Gold Upgrade for Two is not an entitlement to travel and is subject to reward capacity restrictions.

12. Cancellations: If you cancel your upgraded booking the rules of the original ticket apply. If a cancellation is made more than 24 hours before departure your Gold Upgrade for Two will be reinstated, provided the Gold Upgrade for Two is within its 12 month validity period. If a cancellation occurs within 24 hours of departure, the Gold Upgrade for Two will be invalid for further use.

13. If using your Gold Upgrade for Two on an existing booking and your ticket has already been issued, you will need to send in your tickets 21 days in advance of travel, for your tickets to be re–issued. If you hold an e–ticket this will take 24 hours.

14. Infants: If an upgraded booking contains an infant travelling on an infant fare, the infant will be automatically upgraded with the adults. Child fares will be subject to the same rules as adults.

15. Household Accounts: Any Household Account Member who earns the Gold Upgrade for Two must redeem it personally. The Gold Upgrade for Two is not part of the Household Account pool and cannot be redeemed by another Member of the Household Account. Household Account Members who earn the Gold Upgrade for Two are subject to applicable Household Account redemption rules, whereby the Gold Upgrade for Two can only be used for Members within the Household Account. These upgrades cannot be allocated to Executive Club members under age 18. An upgrade earned by a member under 18 is allocated to the Head of that member’s Household Account.

16. Standard booking lead times apply for your area, Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.

*Standard booking lead times apply. Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
While we're on the subject, I've got a couple of questions of my own:

1- Can they be used in conjunction with the Amex Companion Voucher?
2- Does travel have to originate in the UK?

Mine expires in July and I haven't found a way to use it yet, potentially looking at CW to F on LHR-CAI which is poor value but better than let it go to waste! Most other attempts to use it on LHR-DXB or LHR-GRU CW to F have been frustrated...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
While we're on the subject, I've got a couple of questions of my own:

1- Can they be used in conjunction with the Amex Companion Voucher?
2- Does travel have to originate in the UK?

Mine expires in July and I haven't found a way to use it yet, potentially looking at CW to F on LHR-CAI which is poor value but better than let it go to waste! Most other attempts to use it on LHR-DXB or LHR-GRU CW to F have been frustrated...
The answer to 1 is "yes".

If you are using it with an Amex voucher, the T&C's of that voucher require travel to start/end in the UK, so therefore the answer to 2 is also "yes".

If you're looking to avoid APD, or at least minimise it, then look for an ex-JER.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave_C
The answer to 1 is "yes".

If you are using it with an Amex voucher, the T&C's of that voucher require travel to start/end in the UK, so therefore the answer to 2 is also "yes".

If you're looking to avoid APD, or at least minimise it, then look for an ex-JER.
Thanks for the ex-JER suggestion.

However, on #1, as per paragraph 4 of the T&Cs posted above, it says Gold Upgrades for 2 cannot be combined with "any other offers/promotions". Perhaps Amex vouchers count as an "offer", as I definitely haven't found a way of combining these two while booking online...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:12 am

Thanks for the ex-JER suggestion.

However, on #1, as per paragraph 4 of the T&Cs posted above, it says Gold Upgrades for 2 cannot be combined with "any other offers/promotions". Perhaps Amex vouchers count as an "offer", as I definitely haven't found a way of combining these two while booking online...
It definitely can be combined with an Amex voucher as I've got one ticketed and waiting to be flown next week!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Depending on how many GUF2's you have you should think carefuly about value.

If you book a GUF2 with a redemption you effectively save the points difference between the class you pay for and the class you occupy. if you use it with BA you have the same effect as if you tried to MFU you save the points you would have paid for the MFU but the award inventory still has to be there.

However if you book via a travel agent and make a cheap J booking you can upgrade to F if "A" revenue fares are available, or book into T and upgrade to J if I is available for sale. This is a much more valuable use of GUF2 unless you have a very low points balance, since the revenue buckets are usually much more widely available than the award buckets.

If usability is a problem it is likely to be because of lack of inventory in the award bucket. This makes the use of GUF2s with award bookings much more valuable for GGL members than anyone else.

Since it is only marginally more expensive to book a flight with Amex rather than BA (£10 per ticket fee, versus £4.50 per ticket card fees with BA), there is little increased using a GUF2 with a TA sourced booking than a BA sourced booking but there is a big impact on the available inventory.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:10 am
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by Dave_C
It definitely can be combined with an Amex voucher as I've got one ticketed and waiting to be flown next week!
So do I - when I called to make the reservation it was actually the BA agent that suggest I use both the 241 and the GUF2, so you'll be fine.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by FF
So do I - when I called to make the reservation it was actually the BA agent that suggest I use both the 241 and the GUF2, so you'll be fine.
Thanks for that! Looks like it can only be done over the phone. Just reinforces my belief than when in doubt I should always call BA...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
However if you book via a travel agent and make a cheap J booking you can upgrade to F if "A" revenue fares are available, or book into T and upgrade to J if I is available for sale. This is a much more valuable use of GUF2 unless you have a very low points balance, since the revenue buckets are usually much more widely available than the award buckets.
I had no idea about MFU inventory implications on whether it's a miles or revenue-booking, so thanks for that. Do you mean I should use a TA because they can book me directly into the cheapest J fares allowing upgrades, versus booking online where I risk only finding an I fare which is not upgradable, or am I missing something else?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Wink

... Just reinforces my belief than when in doubt I should always call BA...
... and then come back here for confirmation!
Old May 20, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Just a quick question as I am confused with the language used.

12. Cancellations: If you cancel your upgraded booking the rules of the original ticket apply. If a cancellation is made more than 24 hours before departure your Gold Upgrade for Two will be reinstated, provided the Gold Upgrade for Two is within its 12 month validity period.
I thought the GUF2 voucher was valid for 12 month after it was sent. So, how can a cancellation up to 24 hours before the flight can ever be outside the 12-month validity period?

Is it because the 12-month validity period is the time to book it, not the time to fly it? (So one could wait 10 months and then use it to upgrade a flight 5 monthes later, so it could happen that cancelling occur outside the 1-year window?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.