Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Gold really feel this...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Does Gold really feel this...

...useless, for a the supposed top tier of a major global airline? I acccidently stumbled int this status with a few intercons in J right at the beginning of my membership year unbeknownst to me. Used to love getting BAEC miles when I could use them on long haul redemptions, now they just accumulate, no thanks to hitting the accelerator at least three times and the gutting of redemption values.

Maybe I should appreciate my newCOdbaUA mileage plus program as a 1K and keep in mind what is on the other side.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TopGunner
...useless, for a the supposed top tier of a major global airline? I acccidently stumbled int this status with a few intercons in J right at the beginning of my membership year unbeknownst to me. Used to love getting BAEC miles when I could use them on long haul redemptions, now they just accumulate, no thanks to hitting the accelerator at least three times and the gutting of redemption values.

Maybe I should appreciate my newCOdbaUA mileage plus program as a 1K and keep in mind what is on the other side.
This isn't terribly clear to me, though it appears to be a statement of dissatisfaction. I will try Google Translate.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hello TopGunner, but what on earth are you on about? Your post really isn't very clear.

It seems you are less than satisfied with the BA offering. So my question is why belong to a frequent flyer programme with an airline if the benefits aren't going to suit you? Personally I find my Silver membership massively useful, and look forward to my upgrade to Gold which will come in early 2013.

And the gutting of redemption values? With that I cannot agree. They've merely moved to fair redemption values, where you pay an agreed number of Avios per sector (which is as it should be, IMHO). To be able to cross the Atlantic in premium cabins and save ££££ over fare-based tickets, and many of these sectors for less BA Miles than previously...

Last edited by 747_not_777; Mar 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm Reason: speller
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
This isn't terribly clear to me, though it appears to be a statement of dissatisfaction. I will try Google Translate.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What did you think of the CW product and T5?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Sorry I wasn't all too clear in the OP, I was doing it on a touch screen. Basically I'm a little underwhelmed with what is on offer at the Gold level with BAEC. My assumption has been that when you attain top status there is a sense of elation of one kind or another and some anticipation of enjoying the associated benefits. I just found with Gold, i could shrug it off, when looking at the benefits on paper.

In addition, when flying enough that you earn status you also are earning a healthy amount of redeemable miles/points, whose redemption is a nice reward for your loyalty. However with the new Avios setup the value is somewhat skewed to those at the main OW hubs and discourages long distance redemptions. My ability to actually use the accumulated points is severely limited and is a source of dissatisfaction.

By the way, I joined BAEC because for the route that I fly regularly for work, BA has the best flight times and connection.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Sorry I wasn't all too clear in the OP, I was doing it on a touch screen. Basically I'm a little underwhelmed with what is on offer at the Gold level with BAEC. My assumption has been that when you attain top status there is a sense of elation of one kind or another and some anticipation of enjoying the associated benefits. I just found with Gold, i could shrug it off, when looking at the benefits on paper.
What sort of benefits were you hoping for?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
And you don't like the FIRST check-in, even when flying CW or below? Galleries FIRST lounge at LHR pre-flight (it is rather super in there, for an airport lounge)? Access to Admirals Club Flagship lounges in the US?

To be fair, the additional perks aren't huge, but you are not at the true top tier yet. You need to hit something called "Gold Guest List", and then that would open up:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ent-today.html
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
What did you think of the CW product and T5?
I actually quite like T5, seems so much better than the days of T4 and having a good number of lights at LGW. Only thing that annoys me is the single security line for the transit FastTrack and the fact they invariably never stop the other passengers cutting into that line as it is right at the top of the escalators.

Not a big fan of CW, I much prefer the SWISS biz class and maybe even the other star lliance flatbeds. I think most of my dislikes teems from the 2 middle seats in the newest configuration.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Possibly OT, but you guys have to see this (from the Hilton board), I think it's rofl funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqm4H3m3Ew
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747_not_777
And you don't like the FIRST check-in, even when flying CW or below? Galleries FIRST lounge at LHR pre-flight (it is rather super in there, for an airport lounge)? Access to Admirals Club Flagship lounges in the US?

To be fair, the additional perks aren't huge, but you are not at the true top tier yet. You need to hit something called "Gold Guest List", and then that would open up:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ent-today.html
I guess being not bein based at LHR or major hub(for flagship lounges) means you miss out on the more enticing perks.

I think what would be nicer would be upgrade instruments that don't have the same conditions as MFU, especially the TA restriction.

Didn't even realize there was another level or levels. I guess then for mid-tier elite status it's quite good. Other than the lounge access, it's similar to AA Platinum then.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

I think what would be nicer would be upgrade instruments that don't have the same conditions as MFU, especially the TA restriction.
I think MFU is pretty good, actually. At least you get the confirmed upgrades.

You should look at the QF scheme to see how much better the BA one is. For instance, with QF, even Platinum One members (i.e. GGL equivalent but even harder to achieve due to high amount of QF-flights one has to do) cannot get a confirmed-at-the-time upgrades using points, as well as burn rates being very high for about the same earn ratio to BA. Its main saving grace for some people would be that it's shockingly easy to retain Platinum depending on their flying patterns.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think MFU is pretty good, actually. At least you get the confirmed upgrades.

You should look at the QF scheme to see how much better the BA one is. For instance, with QF, even Platinum One members (i.e. GGL equivalent but even harder to achieve due to high amount of QF-flights one has to do) cannot get a confirmed-at-the-time upgrades using points, as well as burn rates being very high for about the same earn ratio to BA. Its main saving grace for some people would be that it's shockingly easy to retain Platinum depending on their flying patterns.
I think MFU is great, but it shuts out those of us who have to use TAs for business travel. It really is only useable for my types on personal travel but at that pony I'm tapping just my miles and not necessarily Avios because of the fuel surcharges. Having substantial miles in star alliance alters the potential value I perceive in Avios.

I've heard enough QF nightmares, I wouldn't dare consider them, and they seem to be working hard to dismantle the airline.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA gold
As a newly minted gold, the first thing I noticed was the op up to J from W on LHR-SIN

My poor dad remained in W.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Having substantial miles in star alliance alters the potential value I perceive in Avios.
So do I, but I still think Avios is useful. But then, I don't have any travel agent bookings as I self-book all my trips anyway. If you do any leisure travel though, WT+ to CW MFU is a good way of saving quite a lot of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.