Wiki Posts
Search

More Nairobi flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

More Nairobi flights?

Found this, can anyone add anything?

"British Airways is to increase its daily flights between Nairobi and Heathrow. The route had been scaled back a few years ago due to the global economic crisis, All Africa reports, but the airline is in the process of introducing new and higher capacity planes for its operations in the region as passenger traffic increases and competition intensifies.

The airline's local area manager said: 'We will increase frequencies on certain routes, including to Nairobi and Uganda, by the end of this year.'

For more information on this airport news story visit: http://allafrica.com/stories/201203090177.html"

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I recall there used to be a day and night flight. One of the flights used to switch between a 767 and 777.

Good news if it is going back to 2 flights a day. It's an important regional centre and think that a lot of the international effort on Somalia is undertaken in Nairobi and can see that there would be good business demend for flights booked at short notice in higher fare buckets.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dan72
I recall there used to be a day and night flight. One of the flights used to switch between a 767 and 777.

Good news if it is going back to 2 flights a day. It's an important regional centre and think that a lot of the international effort on Somalia is undertaken in Nairobi and can see that there would be good business demend for flights booked at short notice in higher fare buckets.
I think (from memory) it was 10 flights/week in 2006; they had de-rostered the 747 from the route, and so it was 777s 7 days a week (daylight outbound/night flight back to LHR) and 767s 4 days a week (night flight outbound/day flight back to the UK).

Lots of passengers to NBO transit on to 'regional' destinations including Kilimanjaro - which Qatar has announced direct flights to starting later this year.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
The timing of the current LHR-NBO is a total pain, it lands after nearly all the regional connections have departed. KQ has a much more convenient flight and they'll be sorry if BA pull their finger out and increase flight frequency.

NBO is a terrible airport
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jordan D
Kilimanjaro - which Qatar has announced direct flights to starting later this year.
They have announced flights via NBO.

Johan
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
)

Originally Posted by Jordan D
I think (from memory) it was 10 flights/week in 2006; they had de-rostered the 747 from the route, and so it was 777s 7 days a week (daylight outbound/night flight back to LHR) and 767s 4 days a week (night flight outbound/day flight back to the UK).

Lots of passengers to NBO transit on to 'regional' destinations including Kilimanjaro - which Qatar has announced direct flights to starting later this year.
I travelled to NBO and back on a 747 (UD ^) in 2007. Two flights most days then IIRC. Also BA had its own lounge there at that time.

Glad to hear BA may be increasing service again. Nairobi is an important place in its own right but also an important stopping off point. This includes people who travel on in small planes from Wilson airport (now that's a real airport!), as I have done a couple of times, once to Zaire as it then was.

I would say it has its own unique character and charm! I have 'fond' memories of some too fast journeys there in local taxis!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
I would say it has its own unique character and charm!
You can say that again.

I recall watching a handful of pax boarding a small aircraft on the NBO apron. There was a commotion, after which two of the pax were directed to the other side of the aircraft, where they proceeded to relieve themselves.

Johan
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Originally Posted by jmpawson
Flew back from NBO in 2005 from honeymoon (UD 747). Never been sooooo glad to set foot on a BA aircraft. 'Nough said.

The lounge was a sanctuary though.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
You can say that again.
I recall watching a handful of pax boarding a small aircraft on the NBO apron. There was a commotion, after which two of the pax were directed to the other side of the aircraft, where they proceeded to relieve themselves.

Johan
Ok, I will. It has its own unique character and charm!

Good story - sums that up. I remember feeling quite uneasy the first time I arrived at NBO, when the person meeting us was late, with all the taxi drivers etc. accosting us in the arrivals hall. Got used to it on future occasions.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum

Johan
Indeed - my mistake. I misread the initial report.

Jordan
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
I would say it has its own unique character and charm! I have 'fond' memories of some too fast journeys there in local taxis!
Last night we were delayed about 20 minutes because there was a rabbit on the runway! (after being delayed because the tow tractor had gone missing temporarily). Ahhh Africa.

The NBO lounge is an oasis - I had no idea whether/how to get a transit visa and a new boarding card having just skidded in on a very dodgy Precision Air flight, the lovely lady behind the lounge desk took my passport away and sorted it all out with a smile. Ahhh BA in Africa - thank heavens.

The double scanning security at the gate is such a joke, unless you actually had a fully loaded gun in your luggage with a big label stating "BIG GUN IN THIS BAG" in Swahili you could probably get away with anything. The man in front of me had his lighter taken away (despite being allowed one lighter). I got though with nail scissors (not mine, not sure where I scopped them up from) and a half drunk bottle of Amarula in my carry on.

Anyway enough gibbering on, back to work.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...

Johan
Still direct - different from non-stop
Old May 20, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
(Not) like a virgin

I read somewhere that Virgin are ending flights to Nairobi so BA might pick up some extra pax that way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.