Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking a DragonAir Ticket with Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Booking a DragonAir Ticket with Avios?

I want to book a ticket from HKg to PNH operated by DragonAir, but British Airways reservations has told me they do not have an agreement with DragonAir to sell award tickets on their flights...

How is that possible? If DragonAir is a member of OneWorld shouldn't BA have an agreement?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Dragonair is a BAEC partner (a subsidiary of Cathay Pacific) and so providing redemption availability is there you should be able to book seats.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Dragon Air is a OneWorld affiliate not a full member. Although the OneWorld website states:
They offer the full range of oneworld services and benefits.
it does not mention anything on award travel.

Globalist
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
May I ask which BAEC you called? US/UK/Bremen/Bratislava...?

I have 3 dragonair reservations where I used BA miles.
Let's just say, they are wrong.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club
I will be flying with Dragonair between Beijing and Hong Kong next year using Avios. I made a mock booking last week and it seemed to accept it, giving me flight numbers, and the correct number of Avios required.

On the other hand you cannot use Avios.com (formerly Airmiles) to make a booking on Dragonair as they say they have no agreement, and I've exchanged various emails with them to clarify the question.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Without wishing to start a new thread, could somebody who knows, point me to the BA page where I can transfer my Avios miles over to my Avios account ? Thanks. ps And can you just move a few or is it the whole lot ?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DWFI
May I ask which BAEC you called? US/UK/Bremen/Bratislava...?

I have 3 dragonair reservations where I used BA miles.
Let's just say, they are wrong.
I called the Uk reservations, but I am a French member, so I'll call Bre,em tomorrow... It is very stupid that they are closed on Sundays..

An airline like BA should have 24hr service
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Yes, the UK office is not allowed to do award tickets for non-UK members at all. You'll have to call Bremen.

BAEC should be open 7 days a week, 8-20 local time. 24 hours might be a touch excessive.
Other centres should have the ability to help other members in emergencies where their own centres are closed.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ever since last year's devaluation, I've used my BA points exclusively for award flights between PEK and HKG on KA (and, CX whenever the schedule works). I usually book online, but ba.com was not showing any flights a few Sundays back, so I resorted to the phone.

Originally Posted by mahme
I want to book a ticket from HKg to PNH operated by DragonAir, but British Airways reservations has told me they do not have an agreement with DragonAir to sell award tickets on their flights...

How is that possible? If DragonAir is a member of OneWorld shouldn't BA have an agreement?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA site does not recognize PNH as a valid airport!

I used BA US website to try booking a KA flight HKG-PNH but BA US site did not recognize PNH as a valid airport code.

At the end we decided not to go to Cambodia so I did not find out if US call center could book it or not.

However, KA constantly shows as available when checking other routes such as TPE-HKG or between HKG and mainland China, so KA flights are definitely bookable as awards.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It can be done. I am flying HKG-TAO later this month on an award ticket booked via the usual 'Book with Avios' section of the BA website - I just ticked the box when prompted to include partner airlines, et voila. Very good value it was too. Marginally cheaper to buy miles and spend them on a J single than to buy a Y single with cash.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Without wishing to start a new thread, could somebody who knows, point me to the BA page where I can transfer my Avios miles over to my Avios account?
Try this: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb (it's linked to from the Manage My Account page, entitled Combine My Avios).
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Try this: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb (it's linked to from the Manage My Account page, entitled Combine My Avios).
Thanks for that...appreciated.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Ever since last year's devaluation, I've used my BA points exclusively for award flights between PEK and HKG on KA (and, CX whenever the schedule works). I usually book online, but ba.com was not showing any flights a few Sundays back, so I resorted to the phone.
Do you by any chance how much fees are charged for flights between PEK and HKG? Heard that BA charges hefty fees, so wanted to get a feel before I call.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by violettulip
Do you by any chance how much fees are charged for flights between PEK and HKG?
If you start a dummy booking on ba.com, you'll see this displayed.

For example, checking just now: 04.10.2012 CX347 PEK-HKG = 10,000 miles/Avios + £27.60 (economy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.