Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Child-free cabins could become reality sooner than we thought!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Child-free cabins could become reality sooner than we thought!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:52 am

Or just do what Malaysia have announced for their A380 service

http://todaytravel.today.msnbc.msn.c...rbus-a380?lite

No children on the upper deck
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matthewuk
Or just do what Malaysia have announced for their A380 service

http://todaytravel.today.msnbc.msn.c...rbus-a380?lite

No children on the upper deck
If I was a CEO, thats what I would do.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by origin
If I was a CEO, thats what I would do.
I think it's sensible and achieves a reasonable middle ground, although MH is definitely not on the list of my preferred carriers.

I'm happy to pay £300 extra per long haul sector if BA wants to do this, more if it's a night flight.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think it's sensible and achieves a reasonable middle ground, although MH is definitely not on the list of my preferred carriers.

I'm happy to pay £300 extra per long haul sector if BA wants to do this, more if it's a night flight.
With BA and the 747 UD. I would make them adults only with service on call only. So no set meal tims, eat when you want. but either call crew or get from kitchen yourself. Then people can work when they want, eat when they want (helps when on tablets as well) and sleep as much or little as they want. No noise from crew.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...

Fair enough. Then again, what does BA tell a GGL or even a Premier if they say they want their children to fly in First...... I cannot see this happening on BA, then again, what do I know.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by matthudski
Fair enough. Then again, what does BA tell a GGL or even a Premier if they say they want their children to fly in First...... I cannot see this happening on BA, then again, what do I know.
I flew to LA a month or two back an on the same flight was Tandy Newton, film actress of crash fame etc. It appeared to be her, her two young children and a couple of helpers/entourage members. All flying first, so I doubt BA would turn round to her and tell her that despite being a famous actress and despite paying 7 full fare first tickets, and tell her that she isn't allowed.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:54 am

I don't really mind which cabin, as long as it's J or F and if others are quiet (children or adults). All I want is to be able to sleep in peace.

They could, on larger aircraft with multiple sections of a cabin, allocate some part of the CW as a "quiet cabin" (not necessarily F, because F cabin is usually too small to divide into sections).

It's not unusual for young children not to be allowed into some places. For instance some theatres do not allow children under 5. If an airline did this with a small section of a large cabin, it's probably not socially unacceptable as long as it's not in the 'most attractive' cabin - then GGLs and Prems with children probably won't complain because they still have the 'best part of the cabin'.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:04 am

I don't really mind which cabin, as long as it's J or F and if others are quiet (children or adults). All I want is to be able to sleep in peace.

They could, on larger aircraft with multiple sections of a cabin, allocate some part of the CW as a "quiet cabin" (not necessarily F, because F cabin is usually too small to divide into sections).

It's not unusual for young children not to be allowed into some places. For instance some theatres do not allow children under 5. If an airline did this with a small section of a large cabin, it's probably not socially unacceptable as long as it's not in the 'most attractive' cabin - then GGLs and Prems with children probably won't complain because they still have the 'best part of the cabin'.
I think you are right. I do however have some reservations as to what consist of a quiet cabin. My daughter is very quiet and even on 10 hours flights, hardly makes a noise. I know that some children do (but many don't). It's the same old story.

I'm happy to have a "quiet" cabin or sleeping zone, as this makes perfect sense, but there are some loud snorers out there and talkers and typers (Yeah, bang bang bang on the keyboard, the whole cabin shakes).

Also, how is it fair that I'm with my quiet daughter and we want to sleep, and the "other" children are making a racket... It does not seem right that I have a well behaved child but I would get "thrown" in with all the unruly brats, whilst the snorers, talkers and typers get a "quieter" cabin.

Yeah, I'm not sure........ On the fence still. Can't see how this can work.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
MH here I come!

Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:13 am

I'm happy to have a "quiet" cabin or sleeping zone, as this makes perfect sense, but there are some loud snorers out there and talkers and typers (Yeah, bang bang bang on the keyboard, the whole cabin shakes).
The loud keyboard bashers drive me crazy too, and so do loud talkers. I'm much more tolerant of snorers and babies due to involuntary nature of their noise-making, and actually, snoring noise is relatively easy to drown out. Keyboard bashing, on the other hand, shakes the seats (and even the floor, I think), so do leg shakers, and running children.

Also, how is it fair that I'm with my quiet daughter and we want to sleep, and the "other" children are making a racket... It does not seem right that I have a well behaved child but I would get "thrown" in with all the unruly brats, whilst the snorers, talkers and typers get a "quieter" cabin.
Loud talking and loud/aggressive typing shouldn't be allowed either - basically, there should be a rule of "BE QUIET" in the whole quiet cabin.

It would be unfortunate that some people with quiet children would be excluded from the 'benefit' but it means that you just miss out on a benefit that no-one currently has.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loud talking and loud/aggressive typing shouldn't be allowed either - basically, there should be a rule of "BE QUIET" in the whole quiet cabin.

It would be unfortunate that some people with quiet children would be excluded from the 'benefit' but it means that you just miss out on a benefit that no-one currently has.
So what people really want is a sleeping cabin with light food, ie drinks and bites. Is this correct??
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:28 am

again, you are right

So that's decided then. On a 747, the quiet zone is down stairs and the upper deck can be for all the noisy types and children. I think it's best that the children are upstairs as they are then away from everyone else on the plane.

Again, my fear is "I have a child, I have to sit in the crap area of the plane".

When I was holiday recently, I was at a complex which had a private pool for adults only (which was lovely and quiet), however; I could not access it as I had a child with me. I had to use the "chav" pool with all the other scum even thou I had the right as a premium guest to use the private pool. <- True story

Last edited by matthudski; Apr 11, 2012 at 10:30 am Reason: Usaul Speling misstakkes.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
At least one airline has come up with a great idea to solve the problem.
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...il-fools.shtml
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So that's decided then. On a 747, the quiet zone is down stairs and the upper deck can be for all the noisy types and children. I think it's best that the children are upstairs as they are then away from everyone else on the plane.

Why would a person want to carry a child UD. During Easter and summer holidays I think UD would be a little small for what is needed.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
At least one airline has come up with a great idea to solve the problem.
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...il-fools.shtml
That airline hasnt yet recruited henkybaby as CEO. Its just an april fool joke, not true at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.