Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Using BA Amex at IKEA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various lustrous chemical elements
OT: Using BA Amex at IKEA

I recently got a BA Amex on a friend's referral promo, earning 10k Avois when spending £1000 in 3 months, with the intention of putting around £500 on for some new furniture from IKEA.

I've now found out that IKEA don't accept Amex, so was trying to think of workarounds... the "buying an IKEA giftcard" option is out as they can't be used online (and I didn't really want to go into store).

Does anyone know if I bought a prepaid VISA/Mastercard with my Amex whether this would count towards my £1k, or whether it would class as a cash advance or something?

Any other options would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think the pre-paid card would count as a cash-advance, a bit like when cashing money at a currency exchange desk...

Is the old Paypal trick no good these days? (i.e. sell yourself something on Ebay?)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Prepay?

Got a contract mobile phone? Heavy user?

Can you overpay your mobile phone bill?

I've found its a good way to achieve "spend" on a credit card without spending money on something you don't want.

Orange take Amex. I have no idea re the other networks.

I am sitting on a £60 credit;this is following overpaying my Orange bill in December to hit the spend minimum for the SPG Amex card. The contract expires in June so I should be ok.

Last edited by londonbus; Feb 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm Reason: Correct speling [sic] errer [sic]; provide context.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Since withdrawal of the Paypal pre-paid card, I am unaware of any options to fund a visa/mastercard from an Amex.

If you do pluck up courage to visit Ikea in person, you can get the gift vouchers online before hand from voucherexpress.co.uk and pay by amex.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by usually sat at the back
Since withdrawal of the Paypal pre-paid card, I am unaware of any options to fund a visa/mastercard from an Amex.

If you do pluck up courage to visit Ikea in person, you can get the gift vouchers online before hand from voucherexpress.co.uk and pay by amex.

I think that this is the OPs best bet tbh

cs
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various lustrous chemical elements
Originally Posted by 747_not_777
I think the pre-paid card would count as a cash-advance, a bit like when cashing money at a currency exchange desk...
My only thoughts are that if it was bought from a store, such as the ones sold at Tesco, Clintons etc., it would just through as a store transaction? Might give Amex a call and question them.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by barella
My only thoughts are that if it was bought from a store, such as the ones sold at Tesco, Clintons etc., it would just through as a store transaction? Might give Amex a call and question them.

Thanks.

Gift cards go through the check-out as a normal sale, they can be purchased from most shops, shell stations etc etc etc.

Pre paid cards as referred earlier in the thread are pre paid credit cards (visa/mastercard). These are not available in shops as far as i know

cs
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I received this 'thank you' card after taking a friend for a long day's trip to IKEA.

Sums up my thoughts entirely

Warning ... NSFW or those easily offended.

http://cdn.moderntoss.com/images/37.jpg
Old May 14, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I'm dragging up an old thread I know but.....

Tesco don't seem to do Ikea gift cards and nor do TopGiftCards.

Other than paying with an Amex at Voucher Express (postage charges make this unattractive in my view), has anyone found any nifty ways of using Amex/saving money/earning Avios at Ikea since this was posted?

I did think maybe I could use 3V cards to buy cards from Voucher Express but I presume each £25 (less postage) would have to be a separate transaction, incurring a £1.75 postage fee which makes it uneconomic.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Can't you just buy some 3V Visa cards on your Amex and just use them directly at Ikea?
Old May 14, 2014, 12:14 pm

This past weekend I made a large purchase at IKEA using my American Express.

All the signage says only Visa / MasterCard etc, and if you ask the staff they will say they don't take it, I had my MasterCard ready however I thought I'd give the AMEX a go in the chip and pin machine and it accepted it.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by oxfordjames
This past weekend I made a large purchase at IKEA using my American Express.

All the signage says only Visa / MasterCard etc, and if you ask the staff they will say they don't take it, I had my MasterCard ready however I thought I'd give the AMEX a go in the chip and pin machine and it accepted it.
I have never asked, and always put my plat card in and it doesn't accept it.

So either this is a recent change (I havent been for about 6 weeks), or something went wrong!
Either way, good stuff- hopefully their policy has changed
Old May 14, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's definitely a recent change. I paid with AMEX 3 weeks ago but a couple of months ago it was still only Visa/MC
Old May 14, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Used my AMEX at the Croydon Ikea a few weeks ago (2nd May) at the express till and it was fine.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:02 pm

If there are any more sad Spurs supporters out there, they now take Amex. At least I now get a few thousand Avios compensation when I renew my season tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.