Wiki Posts
Search

LHR connection if booked on BA.com?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
LHR connection if booked on BA.com?

As noted elsewhere, the ether is rife with cautionary tales about LHR connections, but when booking a BA rewards flight from EWR>LHR>MUC the time allotted by BA.com is arrival 6:20 / depart 7:55...does this work?

If it doesn't, and it was booked on BA's site, do they bear some responsibility for getting me there? (NOT that I want to be late!)

Forgive me if the answer is elsewhere...I did try to search!

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI
It doesn't matter if it is a reward or revenue (cash) flight, if you have something on one ticket the airlines are always responcible for getting you to the destination if you miss the connection due to any delay etc. And responsiblity to look after you with accomodation (if necessary, etc).

If, on separate tickets, even on the same airline, they do not.

It doesn't matter where you book, so long as it is on one ticket.

However, if it is Avios in your BA Executive Club account you want to use, you need to book with BA either online or over the phone - nothing to do with what you are worried about here, just a basic fact of frequent flyer schemes.
[If it was AA miles, you would need to book with AA, etc.]

For cash you could book with anyone, Expedia, airlines, etc, just so long as it is on a single ticket. Additionally, it does not need to be on the same airline, or even same alliance for you to be 'protected' - although obviosuly it is easier if a single airline and there is a problem, but you could get a *single ticket* with sectors from different airilnes and you would still be sorted out if a problem occurs.

Regarding time:
Assuming the flights you mention are BA operated (and not an AA flight with a BA code on it), then you are staying in Terminal 5 (BA flight from EWR arrives in T5 and MUC on BA will depart T5 as well). You have 1h 35mins - this is safely above the T5 MCT (minimum connection time) of 1h.

That connection is within a mondern temrinal and a single airline, don't worry about it.

Most of the heathrow horror stories are either: exagerated out of all proportion, horendously out of date, relate to specific periods when there was known disruption, or from people who didn't know any better trying to do imposibly tight 'unofficial' connections which then naturally go wrong.

[N.b. if your inbound flight is an AA flight with a BA code on it then it will come into T3, the MCT from T3 to T5 is 90 minutes, but you would still be ticketed above the MCT so would be sorted out if problem. [And given it is BA selling the ticket, even if they let one through below, they would have to sort it out.]

Last edited by David-A; Feb 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You cannot beat that comprehensive answer above but, just to back it up, I recently inadvertently put this to the test buy booking, in a hurry, a London connecting flight - into LHR (International) and out LGW (Domestic) - with exactly 3 hours between scheduled landing and scheduled take off

The BA.com engine allowed me to book the above but when I saw what I had done and expressed my reservation about being able to make the connection to BA on the phone they re-iterated that this met the bare minimum MCT and so even if I didn't make the scheduled LGW flight they would re-book me onto a later one free of charge.

As it was, I did make the flight in the end with with something resembling a modern day traveller's triathlon with cases, skis and bootbags in tow only thanks to it being a Sunday morning. I would never wish to repeat....
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Thank you both for your replies...David-A's response being especially thorough and reassuring!

We will book based on the kind advice.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

STARFLEET, I transfer through T5 frequently, arriving approx 06:30, departing 08:00. It is a safe connection IME
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by STARFLEET
Thank you both for your replies...David-A's response being especially thorough and reassuring!

We will book based on the kind advice.
And dont worry

cs
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Everything that has been said before is correct, and I would happily book this connection, but...

Originally Posted by STARFLEET
(NOT that I want to be late!)
How much do you not want to be late?

The chances are that this connection will be fine. In fact, you may well arrive at LHR early (the early transatlantics often do) and be waiting in Starbucks, twiddling your thumbs.

But all it would take would be a 1 hour delay to cause problems. They would put you on the next flight, but if that's no good for you, you might want to think again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.