Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just booked first award trip... now some questions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold

Hi all,

Well after ~ 1.5 hours on the phone with British Airways, I finally got the flights I was aiming to take since I saw availability on EF:

PIT-ORD (on AA)
ORD-DUB (on EI)
DUB-ORD (on EI)
ORD-PIT (on AA)

2 seats, 98000 Avios points, and $299.90 out of pocket. Whatdya think FT?

Now that it's booked, I'm starting to worry. The agents at BA said I couldn't do the AA and EI on one itinerary because the mileage requirements on the award chart for multiple OW partners would make this unbookable for 98k points. So-- I have a RT to Chicago and a RT to Dublin.

I'm not going to be checking any bags (that'd just be asking for trouble), but on my outbound leg, when I land in ORD, do I have to exit security, check in at the EI desk, then go to the gate? Or can I walk to the gate of the EI flight and check in right there?

If I do have to exit and check in pre-security, I'll be fine on my outgoing leg as I have about 2.5 hours; coming home from DUB will be tricky though as I only have about 1 hour 15 minutes to make my AA flight back to PIT. Is that enough time considering we'll do customs in DUB before leaving Ireland?

Also-- I can't seem to select seats for the EI flight. Would I have to wait until check-in to select them? That might suck if my girlfriend and I have to sit on opposite sides of the plane.

Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Edit: I suppose maybe my bolded question was dumber than I thought. As long as I online check-in for my EI flight, I should be good to go directly to the gate right?

Last edited by Ben21; Feb 9, 2012 at 11:39 am
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Um, EI is no longer a oneworld airline.

If only oneworld airlines can be included on BA's multi-partner award, then it seems that you were given wrong information by the BAEC agent. I would call back an ask if everything can be put on a single, multi-segment redemption, so that you might have some protection in the event of irregular operations.

And I would be surprised if EI were to let you check in online for the ORD-DUB flight, as EI has to check passports to make sure that it does not transport passengers who are not eligible to be admitted to Ireland.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
If the agent priced it as PIT-ORD-DUB-ORD-PIT on one itinerary, he (and his supervisor) told me it was considered a multi-partner award redemption and was significantly higher (don't remember the exact number). I had to split it up in order to pay only 98k for two one-partner award redemptions.

I am worried about the protection issue-- if I call up BA, will they be able to combine the itineraries without charging me any more points or cash?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If only oneworld carriers can be used for BA's multi-partner awards, then what the agents told you is incorrect. If non-oneworld carriers like EI and AS can be included on multi-partner awards, then what the agents told you is correct. I suggest that you call back and find out which it is.

If EI can be included on a multi-partner award, then PIT-ORD-DUB-ORD-PIT should cost 60,000 Avios per person in Coach as a multi-partner award.

If you are thinking of sticking with what you already have, you should ask the BAEC agent what would happen if your PIT-ORD flight were canceled or delayed, causing you to miss the ORD-DUB flight. Would BA "protect" you, or would you lose the ORD-DUB and DUB-ORD flights because you were a no-show for the ORD-DUB flight?

Good luck, and please let us know what you learn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.