Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Warning of severe weather - SNOW [4/5 February and possibly 10/11 Feb]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Looks like the warnings of the potential for snow this coming weekend earlier in the week are starting to firm up.

Met Office have issued a yellow warning for 5-10cm of snow over the course of the weekend.

Fingers crossed it isn't that bad at LHR...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It's ok, LHR laughs in the face of mere snow...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have been warning people against travelling when I travel, especially long haul!

If only you had listened...

Actually, at the risk of doing the Michael Fish, I don't think it would be that bad at LHR or LGW, looking at the forecast.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:34 pm

lTNphobia are you travelling 11th Feb? I'm coming through LHR and would prefer not to get stuck again...though let's at least say hullo this time if we end up with deja vu
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have been warning people against travelling when I travel, especially long haul!

If only you had listened...

Actually, at the risk of doing the Michael Fish, I don't think it would be that bad at LHR or LGW, looking at the forecast.
So far it looks ok (with the possible exception of first thing Sunday morning). It's next Thursday (the 9th) that I'd be more worried about.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sigma421
So far it looks ok (with the possible exception of first thing Sunday morning). It's next Thursday (the 9th) that I'd be more worried about.
I didn't want to start scaring people about next week just yet...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by heckenhocker
lTNphobia are you travelling 11th Feb? I'm coming through LHR and would prefer not to get stuck again...though let's at least say hullo this time if we end up with deja vu
Ha ha ha! I am flying on 11th but not in Europe.

P.S. 4/5/7/9/11/12/14/16/18/19/21/24/27 are the dates to avoid flying in February if anyone wishes to avoid flying on the same day as me (I'm sorry sigma421)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Ha ha ha! I am flying on 11th but not in Europe.

P.S. 4/5/7/9/11/12/14/16/18/19/21/24/27 are the dates to avoid flying in February if anyone wishes to avoid flying on the same day as me
Oh dear I'm flying on at least 3 of those. Should I just cancel and bed down in Surrey for the month?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by sigma421
Oh dear I'm flying on at least 3 of those. Should I just cancel and bed down in Surrey for the month?
Actually, I only had one cancellation in the last month, so maybe my luck had turned. Keeping my fingers crossed that your flights will be fine.

On a serious note though, I really hope that BAA has got itself sorted out and bought the required equipment to keep the airport open. I know some dodgy little regional airports manage to do it somehow, so I believe LHR definitely should, although disruptions are inevitable with the amount of traffic.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Forgive my faint apathy, but isn't this called ... W I N T E R ?

You know, that cold, blowy, snowy thing that happens every year around this time?

Even our little "semi-tropical" Island is bleeding parky today. The Cat won't go out, due to a mix of cold and wind. I've suggested She moves to Jamaica, but She just sits there having the hump.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:53 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Did one of the mods remove my post? Not that it was that interesting, but it was almost on topic

ETA - it appears my post never made it. I blame it on PUTI. Cheers, LTN Phobia.

Last edited by DYKWIA; Feb 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Did one of the mods remove my post? Not that it was that interesting, but it was almost on topic

ETA - it appears my post never made it. I blame it on PUTI. Cheers, LTN Phobia.
Now I need to know what you meant to say.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
But if you look at the Met Office maps, LHR stays green apart from late Saturday.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
LHR SNOW

Originally Posted by stueys
It's ok, LHR laughs in the face of mere snow...
Yeah, they have done it twice at my expense...enough for me to avoid LHR and BA !
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Well if LHR and LGW gets hit badly by snow I'm sure it will result in some very nice diversions to other parts of the country.

Would be rubbish for anyone traveling but great for the spotters

cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.