Wiki Posts
Search

Fully flexible question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Fully flexible question

I have to fly the family soon on a longhaul but may have to cancel the trip so I'm looking to buy us fully flexible tickets.
My question is exactly how flexible are the BA tickets when it comes to refunds?

SJ
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Sid James
I have to fly the family soon on a longhaul but may have to cancel the trip so I'm looking to buy us fully flexible tickets.
My question is exactly how flexible are the BA tickets when it comes to refunds?

SJ
If they are fully flexible, then you won't have any issues cancelling and getting a refund. Refunds are normally very quick, with the money appearing back on your card within 3-5 days.

Can usually be done on-line, but there are occasions where you need to phone.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:56 am
Original Poster

That's what I thought but wanted a bit of confirmation.
Many thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:58 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by angatol

It might possibly be cheaper to buy travel insurance with "cancellation anytime" cover, though I've never looked into that.
I have only come across policies that cover for unforeseen circumstance and also for something like death in the family and illnesses of family etc, or some other reasons beyond your control and not for more 'simple' reason such as schedule conflicts, cannot get leave etc.

If the OP decides to get a travel insurance to cover the trip, I recommend reading the policy thoroughly. It's quite surprising what many travel insurance policoes do not cover.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:13 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:16 am

In addition to LTNphobia's points, I would dd that insurance purchased after you know of a situation that may lead to a claim will generally not cover that situation. E.g. Purchasing cancellation insurance when you know relative X is already in hospital with serious illness will not pay out if you have to cancel due to deterioration or death of relative X.

I know that is not what. OP is planning / asking, but thought it worthwhile to add for any others looking at similar situations.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If you google "cancel for any reason" "travel insurance" you'll get lots of hits.
Interesting. You are right, it has brought up a lot of hits, although seemingly only for North America and I could not find anything for the UK.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
267331!

I thought I'd try this answer since the question is fully flexible.

Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:35 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You may want to consider booking through BA's website - that way the cancel option is relatively quick, available 24 hours a day and in my experience the money is refunded quite quickly and automatically.

Also, probably stating the obvious, but some of the restricted tickets do have relatively light penalties and / or permit date conditions. Interestingly these penalties seem to vary from place to place in terms of the jurisdiction from which you are deemed to be buying.

Finally, if you are sitting on a stash of Avios, this sort of scenario is, to my mind, a good use of Avios, though possibly less so with UuA.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I appreciate that the OP is GCH, so not entirely relevant to him, but even fully flexible tickets (unless e.g. GCH) have an admin charge associated with their cancellation -- i.e. you don't get all (100%) of your money back.

The 'cancel for any reason' insurance aside, fully flexible tickets are so expensive that unless the return date (inbound) is the one in question, it just makes more sense to purchase a ticket once plans have been finalised. Worst case scenario is that one will end up paying the same as a fully flexible ticket, but even ~24hrs prior to departure, some fare buckets with sl. less flexibility, and much cheaper can be bought.

tb
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:51 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
267331!

I thought I'd try this answer since the question is fully flexible.

Champagne breakfast henkybaby?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:14 am
Original Poster

I didn't know that. Found the thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-refunds.html
I guess that's the lounge access fee
Hmmm...
It's not a lot but still a side of the industry that's growing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.