Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHRVCE, I'm in J, wife in Y. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
They may well be offering upgrades at the checkin or Customer Service desk in the Terminal. At the moment these flights are not that full as it is the low season for travel to VCE, so you may well be lucky.

It's one of the routes that I bid to work on!!!!!!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
They may well be offering upgrades at the checkin or Customer Service desk in the Terminal. At the moment these flights are not that full as it is the low season for travel to VCE, so you may well be lucky.

It's one of the routes that I bid to work on!!!!!!
Fingers crossed, I'll keep an eye out for you! Ciao.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Many thanks for the encouragement. As I'm departing JFK on AA, do you suggest I head to T7 and try there with BA? Or better to be boots on the ground in LHR, preferably in the First lounge?
I'm not quite sure actually- I am not too familiar with JFK (flying out from there in just over 2 weeks though) but if there are BA CS desks there which there definitely should be, I would arrive nice and early at the airport and ask there, I'm pretty sure they will be fairly accommodating as you are on a through ticket, at least then you will be able to have it all sorted by the time you board the flight back to LHR. ^
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikey2124
I'm not quite sure actually- I am not too familiar with JFK (flying out from there in just over 2 weeks though) but if there are BA CS desks there which there definitely should be, I would arrive nice and early at the airport and ask there, I'm pretty sure they will be fairly accommodating as you are on a through ticket, at least then you will be able to have it all sorted by the time you board the flight back to LHR. ^
Worth a try. Terminals are adjacent, connected by landside train. My preference is paid upgrade, though I suspect that's LHR-only. I'll check loads that day, and decide en route to JFK. Again, thanks to all that provided helpful guidance. Clearly not a make or break issue, but I appreciate people taking time to respond. Safe travels, Jamie
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by mikey2124
Yes, a good idea to ask at JFK too, as they may have access to these kind of upgrades.

Although the seats in ET are similar to CE ( CE slightly wider), the inflight catering is very different.
On the VCE day time flight, on the outbound sector you will get a savoury breakfast roll with tea, coffee and juice, other drinks are available on request throughout the flight but on the inbound sector it's just drinks and nibbles. Whereas in CE you will get hot breakfast on the outbound and a drinks service and a full hot meal service on the return.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Yes, a good idea to ask at JFK too, as they may have access to these kind of upgrades.

Although the seats in ET are similar to CE ( CE slightly wider), the inflight catering is very different.
On the VCE day time flight, on the outbound sector you will get a savoury breakfast roll with tea, coffee and juice, other drinks are available on request throughout the flight but on the inbound sector it's just drinks and nibbles. Whereas in CE you will get hot breakfast on the outbound and a drinks service and a full hot meal service on the return.

Hope that helps.
Certainly helps, thank you. Though after a hearty breakfast in the First lounge and anticipation of Venetian lunch, I'll plan to fast regardless of class
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This is a short flight and most of the CE benefits are on the ground (priority check in, lounge access, baggage allowance). There is almost no difference in the onboard experience for the flight (slightly better food but all BA food on European flights is pretty bad in my experience). You get free alcohol in both classes. You can voluntarily downgrade the CE seat to Y when you check in at the airport -- I have done it many times to sit with my family -- and they will still give you the ground benefits. So this doesn't really seem like a hard problem to solve. I would definitely not waste 15k Avios points on an upgrade, even if you didn't have the problem of having the other itinerary cancelled.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Certainly helps, thank you. Though after a hearty breakfast in the First lounge and anticipation of Venetian lunch, I'll plan to fast regardless of class
Well not sure if I'd bother then! Unless it was just £65 which would be worth it.

The seats are quite similar but in Club you do get more space around each seat. On one side a whole empty seat between you, and on the other side a half seat between you both.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
jamienbaker it's only a short flight. If you end up in a different cabin, it really doesn't matter. My husband travelled down the back a couple of times while I travelled in CE. He doesn't care. I was a bit concerned about leaving him down the back while I was in CE but in the end it was not an issue at all. After being married for a long time we are probably past the point of being offended by this kind of things.

Originally Posted by trueblu
Wyvern's suggestion of a paid upgrade is a very good one: I don't know personally if these are available at the transfer desk as opposed to normal check-in, but I can't think why not. Relatively good value as well.
There us also always the customer services desk airside, the one in the centre area of the terminal, if transfer desk can't do it.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 28, 2012 at 8:02 am
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Well not sure if I'd bother then! Unless it was just £65 which would be worth it.

The seats are quite similar but in Club you do get more space around each seat. On one side a whole empty seat between you, and on the other side a half seat between you both.
I do place value on getting off the aircraft more quickly. Hopefully the paid upgrade option will come through. Thanks again.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Not too sure about some of the comments and questions here...

The F + Y was screaming company paid + significant other tagging along on personal expense. Quite obvious, otherwise, of course 2 x J from the start...

Whether swapping or selling company paid seat for a downgrade is within conduct depends on your company. In most cases, the answer is no, if the company was happy for you to fly Y they would save the money and book you Y.

Whether it is ethical depends on you and the case. Clearly, swapping with a family member is all good.

I understand the very real differences in cabin and the benefits of lounges and services when waiting around at the airport, especially with delays or connections, but I'm always truly amazed when I read posts on this website at how, for some, free food/drinks at the lounge is the highlight and focus of the itinerary.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by varkey
Not too sure about some of the comments and questions here...

The F + Y was screaming company paid + significant other tagging along on personal expense. Quite obvious, otherwise, of course 2 x J from the start...

Whether swapping or selling company paid seat for a downgrade is within conduct depends on your company. In most cases, the answer is no, if the company was happy for you to fly Y they would save the money and book you Y.

Whether it is ethical depends on you and the case. Clearly, swapping with a family member is all good.

I understand the very real differences in cabin and the benefits of lounges and services when waiting around at the airport, especially with delays or connections, but I'm always truly amazed when I read posts on this website at how, for some, free food/drinks at the lounge is the highlight and focus of the itinerary.
Careful, fans of the F terminal at FRA, Wing in HKG, and CCR at LHR are likely to flame you! But I hear you. As for company policy, I'm quite confident there will be no repercussions if I choose to let my wife have my seat and I can grab a row in Y (and currently there are 7 rows available). Safe travels to you and yours, Jamie
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
PAy for the upgrade for your wife (£85 I believe to VCE) at check in at LHR or downgrade yourself to sit with your wife.

Spac has to be available for you to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.