ES Magazine article: Sexing up the skies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
ES Magazine article: Sexing up the skies

Hello all,

Saw this interesting article in the ES Magazine this evening:

"Corporate feuds. Every country has them. Coca-Cola versus Pepsi in the US. Mercedes vs BMW in Germany. Britain has more than its share: Rolls-Royce vs Bentley, BBC vs Sky, but no contest is more visceral than British Airways vs Virgin Atlantic. For more than a quarter of a century, the UK flag-carrier Goliath has slugged it out on the ground and in the air with Richard Branson's David. There have been dirty tricks, corruption allegations, even ice-cream wars. Now, just when you thought it was safe to go back to the airport, it's starting all over again."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifest...p-the-skies.do
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Nice article although it is a shame to see that the new VS J seat that was promised for last year with the A330, is still yet to be put on any planes. However I think to say that the VS CHouses are dated is a bit out of touch - they're just different to the BA ones, not dated.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
The article mentions CWLCY is going to BOS. Wonder if there's any substance to that claim.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by DWFI
The article mentions CWLCY is going to BOS. Wonder if there's any substance to that claim.
I really hope there is!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
I do really wonder whether there's that premium market for BOS. Often the JFK only has 9 people on it.

Although, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen. Boston's a great city.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Frankly, I think IAD is more likely.
But as BA hasn't ordered additional 318s, I don't think we need to speculate just yet.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by JMurray
I do really wonder whether there's that premium market for BOS. Often the JFK only has 9 people on it.

Although, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen. Boston's a great city.
I doubt BOS will get a LCY flight anytime soon. BA has 3 flights a day to LHR, usually a mid-J 747 and 2 777s, so most of a new A318 flight would come from those flights (JFK has 7 or so BA LHR flights, in comparison). Although, BOS does have as many as 9 LHR flights a day, so there is still quite a bit of traffic on the route. A LCY service is much better with 2 flights a day, and 64 seats is a lot to fill.

BOS customs is never that bad, so the Shannon stop doesn't help much in terms of customs.

I think the JFK-LCY service is just right for the NYC market, but just isn't needed/desired enough for other city pairs.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Cor lumme guv, what a load of PR tosh! Does anybody actually read ES magazine?

This kind of PR puff normally passes me by. However, there are some attributable quotes from people who should know better.
Originally Posted by ES Magazine
'Twenty-five-year anniversaries are one thing,' says one BA executive, referring to Virgin's recent milestone, 'but we were around at the dawn of aviation. We taught the world how to fly.'
They somehow missed out the bit that the Wright brothers were working for BA. This would of course have been many years before BA was founded.

Then there's this:
Remember, the sepia-tinged promo booms, we were the first global carrier.
But a global carrier without RTW flights - unlike Pan Am, whose fabled PA1 and PA2 really did circumnavigate the globe.

I rather liked the quote from one who should never be mentioned in this forum.
Originally Posted by SRB
Apart from its network, and its frequent flier programme, I don't think people would choose to fly BA.
Yes, there is that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.