Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I didn't expect rose petals....but

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Some people sound patronising whenever they speak/write/type.
My husband tells me that...
Like Jo Brand. LOL!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
The entire tone of your post is that it was done deliberately.

In any event, yes, I've been in the situation that you describe, but I've also realised that it's not meant in that way and it's how it's come across.

BAH
What? Which post?

Where have I ever claimed the OP was intentionally patronised? The only time I've referred to it was to respond to mikey2124's hideously awful post.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I hope he does try BA again - he still has to fly back
After his experience onboard and here, he may prefer to swim back. The sharks of the Caribbean being less threatening I fear
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:36 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by tezzer
We have all I feel shown out true colours, I'm out !
Typical!

Lob a grenade like a bit of light criticism of BA and bugger off and leave us lot up to our necks in muck and apologists.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:42 pm

Last edited by Athlete95; Jan 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by mikey2124
Oh dear. Hideously awful? Give it a rest. I was being realistic- why on earth would a BA ground crew member go out of her way to patronise and cause embarrassment for one pax, especially when there are a few staff members on the lounge receptions? She only would have done something like this if she really wanted to lose her job and in this current climate, I doubt she would have wanted to do that. It's not like we don't get disciplined!

Ploughing through the BA system like she must have done takes effort, doubt she would have gone to this much effort to patronise someone and to risk losing her job.

Yes Mikey, hideously awful.

If I found an employee of mine using the words pathetic and stupid about a customer on an internet forum, they would no longer be an employee of mine.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Oh dear. Hideously awful? Give it a rest. I was being realistic- why on earth would a BA ground crew member go out of her way to patronise and cause embarrassment for one pax, especially when there are a few staff members on the lounge receptions? She only would have done something like this if she really wanted to lose her job and in this current climate, I doubt she would have wanted to do that. It's not like we don't get disciplined!

Ploughing through the BA system like she must have done takes effort, doubt she would have gone to this much effort to patronise someone and to risk losing her job.
Where did anyone suggest that the only way to feel patronised is if the person intended it? Ever had an older person patronise you, quite unintentionally?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:58 pm

Indeed, but in this very thread earlier this afternoon we have an example of an LGW staff member ignoring what was said and making up additional information to criticise the OP (by saying that the OP claimed "the whole lounge" could hear his exchange with the lounge attendant, and saying that the OP hadn't flown frequently in the last 15 years). I'm quite sure this wasn't done deliberately (you'd have to be particularly stupid to make stuff up when the whole exchange is posted above!) but is no doubt done on a subconscious level to rationalise the account here with their own experiences.
Here is an example in front of you of people "risking their own job" as you put it, at the same time as they say they are acting in the best interests of the airline. It's done with best intentions, but just isn't appreciated by the recipient.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
But some of the issues the OP has raised do not take into account the reality of the situation. I've taken some time in trying to explain these but, sadly, they appear to be falling on deaf ears with some people.

The OP has every right to complain about aspects of his trip if he's unhappy but, equally, I (and others) have the right to explain the reality and reasons for things.
It is always helpful for people to have direct imput from staff members who, as you allude to, actually know what goes on. Nonetheless, the attitude displayed toward Tezzer ( not by you, incidentally) is unfortunately all too typical of this board. BA isn't unutterably ghastly but neither is it perfect. It is a great shame that the happy half-way house of yore which tolerated 'dissent' but was chokka full of decent information and somehow muddled through now plays second fiddle to this nonsense (which I recognise I am clearly contributing to).
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HilFly
So is it BA policy at Gatwick to notify lounge occupants about boarding when there is not enough time for them to get to the gate to board before general boarding?
I am afraid, dear HilFly , that although this may not be BA policy, it is often what happens in practice IME. LGW is very good in most respects but the timings for boarding on the screens are often very awry.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tezzer
Now, you see thats just the sort of comment that makes posting a chore, what did you hope to gain by it ?
A smile? In hindsight, I was expecting too much.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by BA235
It is always helpful for people to have direct imput from staff members who, as you allude to, actually know what goes on. Nonetheless, the attitude displayed toward Tezzer ( not by you, incidentally) is unfortunately all too typical of this board. BA isn't unutterably ghastly but neither is it perfect. It is a great shame that the happy half-way house of yore which tolerated 'dissent' but was chokka full of decent information and somehow muddled through now plays second fiddle to this nonsense (which I recognise I am clearly contributing to).
I have my views for why the OP started the thread but have not posted them here and nor will I.

Instead I've explained some policies and procedures which I hoped would help him understand why at least a couple of his points of dissatisfaction were handled as they were.

Yes, perhaps the OP has been asked a number of questions which make it appear as if he's being jumped on, but is it right for him to be calling us sycophants (and other unpleasant terms) for explaining things? No it's not.
Do two wrongs make a right - no they don't.

But why is one side allowed to rant and others not allowed to put an opposing view?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
I am afraid, dear HilFly , that although this may not be BA policy, it is often what happens in practice IME. LGW is very good in most respects but the timings for boarding on the screens are often very awry.
True! But in my experience it usually works the other way. Lounge says flight boarding; five minutes later at the gate arriving passengers are filing off the awaiting aircraft
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Where did anyone suggest that the only way to feel patronised is if the person intended it? Ever had an older person patronise you, quite unintentionally?
To be fair, the OP did not say that he felt patronised. He said that he was patronised (the exact words, referring to the agent, were: "but don't let that stop you being patronising."). That suggests intentional behaviour on behalf of the agent ("being patronising"). This might not have been what the OP meant. It is, however, what he wrote.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Enough fighting for 10 threads, let alone one. I'm going to close this thread for the night and review it in the morning.

Moderators are rather busy with various important things (like real life, believe it or not - even we have that! ) and not exactly too amused to have to go around padlocking threads that develop into a bun fight, especially after our Open Letter thread.

A couple of reminders:

1. Even if you see a post (or even a poster) you do not like, it does not make it right to engage in personal attacks in any form.

2. Please be respectful towards other users and be considerate.

3. Please read the FlyerTalk terms of service. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#faqtop

4. Please make use of the Ignore function if you find someone's posts consistently irritating, rather than making snide remarks to/about them.

As mentioned time and time again, this request applies to everyone.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.