Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could we have Glossary as a sticky?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL & GfL, HHons Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, IHGSpire Elite, Kimpton Inner Circ
Could we have Glossary as a sticky?

Hello everyone,

As a FT Virgin who has lurked for a while I realise this board is full of experts who are well versed in industry acronyms. Searching around newbies like me can find or work out the abbreviations for most things but if any of the BA staff or other moderators could create a glossary of terms I think that would be really valuable to new users.

Until that can be organised if members could find the time to post explanations that would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Welcome to FlyerTalk !

As a starter for you...

241 - Amex (or other credit card issuer) voucher that gives you a second redemption flight 'for free' - you just pay the fuel surcharges and taxes on each ticket.

UD - Upper Deck of the 747; widely considered the holy grail of Club World travel.

Y, W, J, F - the four classes of travel, in ascending order. Economy, Economy+, Business Class, First Class.

GUF2 - Gold Upgrade For 2. A voucher issued to Gold Card holders on reaching certain Tier Point thresholds. Does what it says on the tin - upgrades 2 travellers to the next class of travel.

GGL - Gold Guest List. The next step up from Gold Card. Brings extra privileges and rewards.

GCH - Gold Card Holder.

SCH - Silver Card Holder.

I'm sure more will be along soon...

BAH
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:13 am

Try this for size:-

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13303024-post3.html
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL & GfL, HHons Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, IHGSpire Elite, Kimpton Inner Circ
Thank you ColdWalker, I feel rather stupid now, clearly I had not looked hard enough.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by SaturdayKid
Thank you ColdWalker, I feel rather stupid now, clearly I had not looked hard enough.
IMHO Having the glossary as a sticky on its own is a good idea - it makes being a newbie less intimidating.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by SaturdayKid
I wouldn't - I didn't know that existed to be honest; and it's a bit out of date anyway !

BAH
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Many of the terms used here and in other FT forums may be found by going to "Help" at the top of each page and selecting "Glossary" from the drop-down menu.

Plenty of newbies figure these acronyms out. It just takes a little time. Good luck and welcome to FT!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:54 am

I've often wondered but couldn't find it in the glossary - what does OP stand for? I've managed to work out that it means 'the person / poster who has started this thread' but can't work out what it actually stand for. Help?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by BAAMEXPP
I've often wondered but couldn't find it in the glossary - what does OP stand for? I've managed to work out that it means 'the person / poster who has started this thread' but can't work out what it actually stand for. Help?
Original Post(er).

BAH
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I wouldn't - I didn't know that existed to be honest; and it's a bit out of date anyway !

BAH
It's hidden away a bit. So no need for anyone to feel stupid. After all, it's not like you went through the wrong customs channel

There are a lot of ISAs (interwebby standard abbreviations) - OP, AFAIK, ISTBC, ROTFPMPL, etc that are best found by google. If you are feeling mischievous then make up your own. OTYB.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The Glossary (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13303024-post3.html) is clearly linked in the BA Dashboard thread, which is a sticky.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Not sure if the forum architecture supports it, but many others use a mouseover or roll over function in conjunction with the glossary. Can produce some unintentionally funny results though.....
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by RedVee
Can produce some unintentionally funny results though.....
Sounds like a 'must have' feature then !

BAH
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for the airport codes, I either use google or this button http://www.flyertalk.com/acl/
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Y, W, J, F - the four classes of travel, in ascending order. Economy, Economy+, Business Class, First Class.
Not always though!

Economy is sometimes called as 'M' - BA boarding cards have this I think
Business is commonly known as 'C' - BA shorthaul/domestic boarding cards have this
First might be referred to as 'P' - AA domestic boarding cards have this

Out of interest, what does BA have on the WT+ boarding cards to designate the cabin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.