Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Being lied to - or what else does one call it - by BA? Coupled with appalling service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being lied to - or what else does one call it - by BA? Coupled with appalling service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by AJLondon
So should they be allowed to cut across and queue jump a paying customer seeking assistance from a ground staffer?

Surely a deserving candidate for that "Nepotism is alive and well on BA thread"?! Remind me who started that....
+1, poor behaviour if they cut in. If GA saw them and went to them first still poor, but different culprit
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by HMPS
When my bags did not show up ( WC) and after the carousel stopped spinning, I was making a reort to to an agent. Two BA flt crew just walked up and asked the ground agent to find their bags. I had to assert myself between the two and remind the GA that I was the CUSTOMER and also first to talk to her.
Originally Posted by Petrus
I did not read it as that. If they did indeed cut across and interrupt a customer then that is of course unacceptable and unforgivable.
It seems pretty clear, at least to me, from the above quote from HMPS as to what happened and the sequence of events as to who was there first and who tried to cut across and interrupt.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
OK. That does seem quite rare though - a quick google for it does not actually indicate any providers in the UK. Most of us are reliant on travel insurance, which does not provide insurance on inbound flights. You might love to be in the OP's situation, but the OP is clearly not loving his situation. I'm not sure I'd want to take out a second travel insurance just for bag delays on the inbound - I'd much prefer the airlines didn't cock up.

I am surprised it does seem to be taking BA so long to recover an F-flying BA gold pax's bags. While getting them back on the inbound is usually not so desperate, you still mentally expect them within 24 - 36 hours of you arriving - with a wriggle on for someone on the OP's class and status. My only experience of BA losing my bags, they were pretty prompt at getting them to me - easily within 24 hours of my return.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Jenbel
OK. That does seem quite rare though - a quick google for it does not actually indicate any providers in the UK. Most of us are reliant on travel insurance, which does not provide insurance on inbound flights. You might love to be in the OP's situation, but the OP is clearly not loving his situation. I'm not sure I'd want to take out a second travel insurance just for bag delays on the inbound - I'd much prefer the airlines didn't cock up.
I am certainly not saying I ever enjoy a bag delay because it is very inconvenient as I often need my things for the next trip which may be happening the next day, or even the same day - I am sorry if my post sounded like I enjoy it because I do not.

I merely have a more relaxed attitude to the bag delay because of the cover and it does leave me feeling less stressed about it, knowing that I would be compensated somewhat for the inconvenience caused, particularly as I often have trips back to back and not getting my suitcase back in time has resulted in having to buy a new one for the next trip (thankfully I now have many more suitcases than I can physically carry, so no need for buying a new one). It also covers my expenses of following up on the bag as the amount paid out is reasonable. It's not for everyone because of the cost in getting it (it is not sold as a 'standalone policy') but at least it's available (by a UK provider in fact but also to European and I believe also to the US-based members) if anyone wants to consider it.

I am surprised it does seem to be taking BA so long to recover an F-flying BA gold pax's bags. While getting them back on the inbound is usually not so desperate, you still mentally expect them within 24 - 36 hours of you arriving - with a wriggle on for someone on the OP's class and status. My only experience of BA losing my bags, they were pretty prompt at getting them to me - easily within 24 hours of my return.
I have had one from a BA flight missing for 4 days with absolutely no information whatsoever, and I ended up recovering it myself from T4 (not a typo) myself when I happened to be flying into there (funnily enough, when my BA CDG-LHR was cancelled and I was put on AF CDG-LHR by BA) and I suspected it to be there as I guessed it had flown in on another carrier (DominicB -BA does put the "rush" bag on other carriers at least some of the time). It can happen, although mine was in an exceptional circumstance of mass disruption caused by the snow chaos.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 14, 2012 at 4:55 pm
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
My suitcase was found in T4 as well, one week after a short cdg-lhr flight. They only "found" it because of my insistence they looked there.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
My suitcase was found in T4 as well, one week after a short cdg-lhr flight. They only "found" it because of my insistence they looked there.
With luggage loss/delay, I think the important thing is that reasonably accurate information is provided and not give you a false expectation of its arrival at a certain time. I don't think they are generally intentionally lying, but rather than saying "we don't know" or "we think it may be [hh:mm] but we can't promise", I think it's all too common to give you an overly optimistic time frame. This is not limited to BA but I have experienced it with other carriers too.*

I often think it's better if they just said "sorry we didn't deliver your bag with you. Your bag will be arriving within 36 hours, stay tuned" rather than telling you one time and for it not to turn up at that time, and then keeping giving you a rolling delay.

*In fact, my BA bag delays have so far been pretty well-handled except for the 4-day delay outlined above. I can't say that for other carriers that have managed to misplace my bag, one of the carriers involving my having to return to the airport because they had not filed the PIR properly as they were supposed to and it could not be located.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
With luggage loss/delay, I think the important thing is that reasonably accurate information is provided and not give you a false expectation of it arrival at a certain time.

I often think it's better if they just said "sorry we didn't deliver your bag with you. Your bag will be arriving within 36 hours, stay tuned" rather than telling you one time and for it not to turn up at that time, and then keeping giving you a rolling delay.
I agree with this - it's always better to set realistic expectations. The only time my bag went astray (famous last words...) was with Malev and they handled it very well. Filled out the forms, gave me a preloaded card with €200 and took my mobile phone number. I got a call about 2 hours later saying the bag would be delivered to the address I was staying the following afternoon. Taxi duly arrived at 14:30 with my suitcase.

Don't know why so many people have a downer on MA - they're not CX, but I've flown a fair few sectors on them and always thought they're a nice little airline.

BAH
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I agree with this - it's always better to set realistic expectations. The only time my bag went astray (famous last words...) was with Malev and they handled it very well. Filled out the forms, gave me a preloaded card with €200 and took my mobile phone number. I got a call about 2 hours later saying the bag would be delivered to the address I was staying the following afternoon. Taxi duly arrived at 14:30 with my suitcase.

Don't know why so many people have a downer on MA - they're not CX, but I've flown a fair few sectors on them and always thought they're a nice little airline.
That is far better than what I have ever expected from MA or most other airlines for that matter!

I am actually shocked... with all my bag delays (happens rather often to me, with or without connection, although not surprising with about 60 sectors/year with checked baggage), I have never been given a preloaded card, and I don't think I have ever received a proactive update phone call - in fact I think I have mostly had "we'll call you back", and never receiving that return phone call. (This is not a BA-specific comment - they've been fine with my bags except during mass disruption which I keep getting caught in.)

To clarify though, I have never checked a bag with MA, so I have had no hands-on experience of their bag delay handling.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That is far better than what I have ever expected from MA!
I was ticketed in business class, which I suppose made a difference.

I know it's a bit old-fashioned, but I think the measure of any organisation is how they react when it all goes wrong.

BAH
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
BA

Originally Posted by Petrus
May I suggest you read the Sticky thread at the top of the BAEC forum. Thank you.

As for BA crew trying to get their bags, what is so infuriating about that? All airline crew do this. Crew, of any airline, should have the benefit of not having to wait for too long for their bags because... they do it several times a week.
@@@@@@@@I

Thank you. sticky does not mean we can or cannot relate experiences.

As to the second point, ARE YOU SERIOUS ? We are the paying CUSTOMERS !

Crew does it have priority over a pax , this not a safety issue....!

the crew travels because it is their job, they get paid for it...BY US, the CUSTOMERS.

IT is precisely such attitudes of employees over CUSTOMERS that starts to add to a downhill slide of a corporation. Especially when coupled with Senior Execs who do not know or care about CUSTOMER'S experiences.

The recent bankruptcies in the Auto sector is a good text book example !

So yes, inordinate bashing is not businesslike...FACTUAL reporting is and should be the BIRTRIGHT OF EVERY CUSTOMER.

Thank yo.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sometimes when travelling things don't always go to plan.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
As to the second point, ARE YOU SERIOUS ? We are the paying CUSTOMERS !

Crew does it have priority over a pax , this not a safety issue....!
It's difficult to know the full story behind this. However, it does not have to be a safety issue for a crew to have priority. It could also be for operational reasons too, such as trying to keep our planes on time.

Is it really worth getting all het up about it? There are bigger things to worry about, such as jam before cream on scones.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
BA

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Don't waste your time getting upset over it. Life is too short for that.

Definitely complain, although stick to the facts, tone it down and I wouldn't bother mentioning the part at the carousel with the BA staff unless you have names otherwise its just a pointless waste of typing.
@@@@@@@@

Thanks. agree life is too short...don't fret over details.

Yes, names dates, times etc were reported. got me a " letter no. 37" .

carousel stopping was to indicate I did my part...waited till the last bag came thru prior tp starting the lost luggage report.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS & Aeroplan Red, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honours, Hertz Gold, GHA Discovery Platinum
I've had checked baggage delayed pretty much every time it's been interlined in the US - to the point that I try and recheck (particularly SLC - xxx - LHR; DEN, ORD and SFO have all regularly failed to get my bag on the same flight). BA have always managed to get it to me next day, though.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I read recently that BA was trialling a new advanced baggage tracing system. I don't have the details in front of me at the mo but the system involves sending out a txt message notification to the passenger, so news of delayed baggage can be intercepted immediately upon arrival.

Sounds though, it has not been rolled out network wide yet.

Gate agents can also verify status of checked baggage when we board, but as life goes, such requests often slips our minds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.