Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Open jaw in cheapest economy - does this exist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club (Silver), Miles & More (Silver)

Hi all
I'm pricing a ticket on BA.com LHR to NCE and back from NCE to DUB via LHR. Specifically, flying out on the Feb 13th morning and returning on the 16th evening, in cheapest economy.

There's plenty of availability according to FlightStats. However, on the outbound leg BA are forcing me to travel in Club Europe, while the NCE-LHR and LHR-DUB legs are in economy as I requested. This brings the price to about £1k.

For comparison an almost identical route on LH, connecting in FRA instead of LHR, cost around £120 which is more what I was expecting.

Does anyone know why BA are forcing me into CE? I would understand it if I was flying with different airlines on the same booking, but all three legs are on BA codes. Quite curious about this.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:18 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
I thought that all short haul BA flights were now priced (more or less) on a sector by sector basis, so there will (probably) be no advantage to buying this as a return instead of two one-ways (ymmv).

Have you tried that?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you look at a cheap DUB-NCE return, the fare rules include: "THE OPEN SEGMENT AT ORIGIN MUST BE IN ONE COUNTRY", so that must be the problem.

As suggested, two one ways seems fine or you could book the return to Belfast.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club (Silver), Miles & More (Silver)
Thanks for the replies. Considering the fare rules, I guess the price makes sense. Two one-ways are indeed much cheaper - thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
I experienced the same thing while trying to book a one-way from FRA to OSL via LHR. I searched for cheap ET, but was "forced" into CE on the second leg from LHR to OSL, resulting in a price at about 883 Euros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.