Wiki Posts
Search

OTish: Taste of London 21-24 June 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
OTish: Taste of London 21-24 June 2012

It looks like BA are sponsoring again this year. Standard Tickets are now on sale at 2011 prices, with other ticket types becoming available from Monday 12th March 2012.

I'm sure that there will be better deals later on (maybe even a competition here.... Nicci ), so I'm not buying just yet, but you may want to put the date in the diary.

I look forward to seeing some of you there!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:10 am

Not sure if I will be going this year after one of the event stands had a flag pole fall on my partners head during the main procession leaving the event, causing a severe cut to his head as well as ruining a several £k watch I had given him as an engagement present. Soon 7 months on and still having to fight with their insurance company and no follow-up whatsoever from Taste. Bahumbug!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: BA gold
I might try and get my rotation shifted forward by a week to squeeze this one in.

Might be a good time for a FT London meet if some are going to be in the area anyway? @:-)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stez
Might be a good time for a FT London meet if some are going to be in the area anyway? @:-)
Good idea ^

Maybe in the "lounge" at the event - the bar prices were very reasonable last year
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
If you have status this is great, the champagne flows FREELY in the BA lounge (the canapes, not so much) and by the end of the session there were a lot of very sozzled BA card holders.

If no status, well it's far less impressive.

Sadly I don't think I will have status any more in June

Wouldn't bother buying a ticket now, would wait till March when you will get more choice of ticket types and probably discounts too.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Really only worth it unless you have BA status or are guest of one who has, and thus lounge access and somewhere to hide if it rains, which is 50/50 in my experience over the years. Event is a bit of a rip off otherwise. Also best to avoid the Saturday PM session which is heavingly busy with parents with buggies.

I generally pitch up at noon on the Thursday or Friday, have a quiet couple of hours in the BA tent, or on the terrace if sunny (head straight there ag 12 to grab a decent seat), sample a modest tenner or so of food and then amble off, lightly sozzled!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
damn - I'll be away in MRU - plus it'll be last year with status.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Will put the date in my diary, and try and make the effort this year to come, both hubby and i are silver so no problem getting into the lounge, for a good taste of the bubbles. Look forward to seeing other FTers^
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by meester69
by the end of the session there were a lot of very sozzled BA card holders.
That doesn't paint a very good picture of BAEC status card holders. A right bunch of freeloading boozebags by the sounds of it.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by HIDDY
That doesn't paint a very good picture of BAEC status card holders. A right bunch of freeloading boozebags by the sounds of it.
They were literally falling over by the end of it. It was freeloading central to be fair. I think they might have run short of champagne by the later days though, so beware!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Just in case any of you want to get your tickets early, I received a flyer with an offer of 2 standard tickets for £38 - saving £18. You need to quote TOL1 when booking.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:20 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Just in case any of you want to get your tickets early, I received a flyer with an offer of 2 standard tickets for £38 - saving £18. You need to quote TOL1 when booking.
Was the flyer by post or email flyer, yes would like to consider coming this year, and join in the booze run in the BA tent and meet some FTers^
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Last year on the Saturday was great. Rock up at 12, have a look round the tents and a Hendrick's cocktail or three in the sun on their stand. Then mosey over to the BA tent (note, the proper one not the 'VIP' one with champagne-per-token) for a quick hello to Frank VdP and another sharpener/s. Leave there quite a bit later to go and 'taste' some food via an assortment of tents serving further alcoholic produce. Stop in to the BA 'VIP' tent anyway, just to avoid a torrential downpour and remark how rubbish it is. Redeem champagne token for one warm glass of Laurent-Perrier. Return to proper BA tent as all of this moving about has made one thirsty to find it crowded, champagne flowing and staff struggling to prevent it descending into a garden party version of Lord of the Flies. Now in an advanced state of refreshment, buttonhole FVdP to tell him how wonderful, wonderful, lovely his wonderful airline is. Engage in impromptu rugby ruck manoeuvre (drop right shoulder and charge) in order to rescue last tray of canapés from gluttonous Welshman. Get kicked out of affair at 4pm after another few light ales outside the Fuller's tent. Retire to pub outside the front gate with friends who are on the 5pm session. Hand over Gold card so they can get into (now being pressure-washed) BA tent. Hail cab to Paddington using extended middle finger of right hand and on arrival manage to successfully find platform 6/7. Arrive at threshold of F Lounge T5 to find 62K to JFK has become 4A to JFK. Retire to Concorde Room for a few glasses of Balfour Brut to take the edge off. Request wheelchair assistance to B gates, request declined. Pre-departure beverage is LP Grand Siecle, decide to taste in the interests of research. A few G&Ts before dinner, something heavy and red during, JW Blue to finish. Pass out bolt upright somewhere over the mid-Atlantic. Wake on final approach unable to see.

Thoroughly smashing day out!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
...<snip>....

Thoroughly smashing day out!
Brilliant and all true too
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Was the flyer by post or email flyer, yes would like to consider coming this year, and join in the booze run in the BA tent and meet some FTers^
It was by post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.