Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Do You Fly BA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:18 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Initially for us it started when my hubby worked for a major courier company and we got good discounts using a travel industry travel agency. We got excellent prices for LGW-BGI direct and we got upgraded to CW That got us hooked and we followed that trip up with a great deal on a 3 day trip to NY earlier this year.
Now that we're moving to PEK, BA flies direct and we have accumulated lots of miles and can redeem them on flights home to the UK.
I like the HHA facility
I like their service
I love UD - have booked our seats for next 3 flights on UD
I like being a Silver member and the privileges that brings
I enjoy the lounges

I have encouraged my parents to use BA when they visit us in PEK, just a shame I can't add them to my HHA
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I share the view of several/many posters ...

BA flies the routes I want.
Outstanding safety record.
BAEC/Avios/HHA/UuA.
Baggage allowances.
Priority boarding.
CW seats and the 744 UD.
Lounges [only Galleries/Terraces for us]

Anything else is a bonus. Sadly, I don't often get a bonus.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Price, lounge access, destionation availability, better than budget airlines for short-haul, miles program.

If I were to compare with say SQ, my reasons for flying SQ would be price, destination availability, service.

So that shows my priorities I guess.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Direct flights
Flat beds
Ultra-sharp pricing in Europe
Corporate deals
Exec Club

Certainly not blindly loyal - if NZ flew all my regular routes I'd be off like a shot!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
oh where to start!

1) the name says it all "British Airways", it is British and im a proud Brit
2) When you see a 744 land (or any of their planes actually) it makes me fancy a cup of tea, its flying the flag for me, which leads to 3
3) Its home in a foreign land. Like an embassy or equivalent it is home soil to me, a little bit of Blighty in every corner of the world
4) Its history and association with places
5) T5 - LOVE it. Although LGW has got a lot better of late too
6) Lounge access, always a great way to start a trip
7) Soft product isnt too bad, even down the back its got better. Not as good as some but always ok for what you pay
8) Price - its pretty much the same as a low cost carrier and always more convenient than a trek to Luton or Stansted
9) Service levels are actually not as bad on most flights as some would have you believe. Ive had some duff flights but at least i have an allocated seat, a drink and speedy boarding i dont pay for thanks to the Silver card
10) MILES! Miles miles miles, they make prizes - free trips! Thats worth a lot to me!

And now cue the music and wave that flag high.............
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Luftdancer
Oh Lordy, where do we start?!

1. Airmanship. Their flight decks are the best crewed of any airline, anywhere. I've had some scary moments on various airlines, but British Airways always inspires absolute confidence in their safety first professionalism. i trust them completely.

2. Pragmatism. The cabin crew can *think*. They solve problems and they take control in a British way, not a mouthy in your face way and not in a robotic disengaged way. And I've had some brilliant conversations in the galley!

3. CW sleeper seats. Agree about the upstairs top-seats, but any window seat is great for me. I love the feeling of privacy without isolation, it's just right, and I love the drawer which houses all the clutter of travel.

4. First Class lounge at LHR. I'm not too proud to admit I love spotting great achievers of one kind or another in there (the famous and the not so famous). And the English breakfast.

5. Galleries lounges at LHR. Great views of the planes. NEVER a problem finding a cosy corner to sit.

6. Reading matter on board. Stimulating selection, not just a load of glorified advertising features about yachts or whatever other crap you find on other carriers.

7. I could go on....

They make me absolutely proud to be British, and after seven years living in America and Asia, I wish more of my fellow countrymen realised how extraordinarily lucky we are to be from our magnificent island.
A fantastic summary that echo's my own feelings but expressed with much greater eloquence and clarity than I could ever achieve. Thank-you ^
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Certainly not blindly loyal - if NZ flew all my regular routes I'd be off like a shot!
Interesting......very interesting.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Strange but very interesting thread ^

I am based in LUX so I always need to use a hub for my intercontinental destinations (mainly Asia, the US, TLV).

I sometimes use BA because there are cheaper on some destinations, have a very good safety record and last but not least, I like the club World cabin.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:05 am
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
Originally Posted by dannysherwood
oh where to start!

1) the name says it all "British Airways", it is British and im a proud Brit
2) When you see a 744 land (or any of their planes actually) it makes me fancy a cup of tea, its flying the flag for me, which leads to 3
3) Its home in a foreign land. Like an embassy or equivalent it is home soil to me, a little bit of Blighty in every corner of the world
4) Its history and association with places
5) T5 - LOVE it. Although LGW has got a lot better of late too
6) Lounge access, always a great way to start a trip
7) Soft product isnt too bad, even down the back its got better. Not as good as some but always ok for what you pay
8) Price - its pretty much the same as a low cost carrier and always more convenient than a trek to Luton or Stansted
9) Service levels are actually not as bad on most flights as some would have you believe. Ive had some duff flights but at least i have an allocated seat, a drink and speedy boarding i dont pay for thanks to the Silver card
10) MILES! Miles miles miles, they make prizes - free trips! Thats worth a lot to me!

And now cue the music and wave that flag high.............
Nice summary and I echo most of it.

They definitely epitomise Britishness to me, which I am very proud of.

T5 is indeed great. Can't beat a good lounge!

I feel safe on their planes and, in fact, on LHR-TLV BA is the only airline I will happily fly apart from LY for that reason.

Flight crew are undoubtedly the best breed of any other I have met.

And finally.......

They give me my payslip every month
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:15 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by henkybaby
We've done this one before so it could be fun comparing the answers. I fly BA long haul for 4 reasons:

1. 62K
2. 64K
3. 64A
4. 62A

I wish I was joking.
Clearly you have never flown 11K on a 2 Class Oman Air A330

http://www.omanair.com/wy/sites/all/...class_info.jpg
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
For me, one of my problems is that convenience always comes before loyalty, hence why I rarely make Gold, but have Silver with several FFP's.
I choose BA when it's convenient, i.e has a direct flight.

When I do choose it's BA because of Flat Beds and Direct Flights.

Generally I avoid airlines with angled lie flat. When there is a choice of airlines on a route that offer Flat Beds, I tend to go with the best possible airline (i.e Oman Air, Etihad, Cathay).
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: UA, ANA, BA
Simple!

I have no status with BA, but since I travel to London at least once a year, I never choose an airline other than BA. Why?

1) Terminal 5 is awesome, even though it does seem like a massive mall.

2) Great on board service. Very professional and ways trying to please.

3) They seem to Op-Up me every single time on at least one leg. Perhaps they like my dashing personality and stunning good looks??? (More than likely there's room up in C for the flight back and I always choose odd days to fly to and from, but I can't help but wonder )
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Terminal 5 at LHR is near my Surrey apartment.

Ba has direct routes to the cities I want to go to.

BA had a certain prestige at LHR.

Baggage, especially when I travel with the family. They seem to need to bring half the house.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:41 am

I travel strictly back of the bus LHR<->(EWR/IAH)

• I prefer CO's FF program because Elite status means I can get on the plane first
  • I can choose seats in advance (for free) on CO and they are more comfortable.
  • I like the food better on CO
  • I don't like LHR-T5 but I do like EWR-TC & IAH-TE

but I fly BA 50% of the time. Why?

• CO is sometimes really good but also sometimes really bad. BA is consistent.
  • HEX is direct Paddington<->T5 ( can you say homefield advantage? )
  • I can't get that commercial out of my head ( love the Concorde shots )

VS - lipstick on a pig
AA - the pig
UA - the thing that ate the pig
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:45 am

So I can use the 241 certificate earned on the Chase BA Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.