Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How can I find out how many seats left when thinking about booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I dont want to call BA directly in case they pretend that their seats almost sold out, then in a panic, I fork over too much $$$ when maybe a sale is just around the corner.

I am departing PHX on March 10th and coming back March 18th.

Can anyone help me find out? Thank you.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Both flights seem wide open in all classes...
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
A sale is currently on, at least for those in the UK. But after that nobody can predict when one will happen.

Expert Flyer or KVS will give you an idea of availability but only those with access to BA's internal systems can tell you the true picture. Unfortunately I don't think anybody will do that.

BA are highly unlikely to pretend flights are sold out just to sell a seat.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
BA are highly unlikely to pretend flights are sold out just to sell a seat.
Agree entirely.

One may criticize BA for various issues, but I don't think this is one of those things. BA are a global business and not a corner shop looking for a quick sale. And neither is the agent on the phone on commission!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA (gold) ... and RAF (or equivalent!) for those places BA (or it's partners) don't fly to ...
Originally Posted by lori in az
Hi

I dont want to call BA directly in case they pretend that their seats almost sold out, then in a panic, I fork over too much $$$ when maybe a sale is just around the corner.

I am departing PHX on March 10th and coming back March 18th.

Can anyone help me find out? Thank you.

Merry Christmas!
Hope this helps:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.8.1/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]

PHX Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl AZ US [KPHX]
LHR London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
SAT 10 Mar 2012

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- -----------------------------------------------------------------
BA 288 PHX 21:10 LHR 13:55 744 F9 A9 C9 D9 R9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 Q9 G9 J9 W9 E9 T9 N9 O9

[KVS Availability Tool 6.8.1/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]

LHR London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
PHX Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl AZ US [KPHX]
SUN 18 Mar 2012

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- -----------------------------------------------------------------
BA 289 LHR 15:05 PHX 18:45 744 F9 A9 C9 D9 R9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 Q6 G4 J9 W9 E9 T9 N9 O9
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Don't understand it.

Dear soldier guy,

Thank you so much for posting but I don't know how to read it.
Thank you for your help.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Dear soldier guy,

Thank you for your help.
It means there are at least 9 seats in each fare bucket. In other words, there are at least 9 seats available even in the cheapest fare bucket, in both directions.

Likely there are just not many passengers booked on this flight yet, because if the flight was busy, cheapest fare bucket is likely to have sold out.

By the way, it is extremely unlikely that BA agent would pretend that the flight is almost sold out. It's not very often that I speak to them but I have never had anyone at BA pretend anything, and in fact by and large they have been very helpful and straight with me (and even if not very helpful at times, they were at least straight).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: BA (gold) ... and RAF (or equivalent!) for those places BA (or it's partners) don't fly to ...
Dear soldier guy,

Thank you for your help.
My apologies, but as our heloful and friendly moderator LTN Phobia has beaten me to an explanation, for which many thanks, and hopefully all has been revealed.

Every flight has a number of fare 'buckets', basically seats sold at different levels of revenue depending upon flexibility, etc. The cheaper, and less-flexible ones, usually get sold first. For both of your flights there is ample room in all parts of the plane for all price levels ... it's just a case of doing a dummy booking and seeing what the cost will be. As things stand, you probably have the best chances of a good deal right now, with so much open.

Good luck.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:36 am
Original Poster

update

I need someone to check again the availabitly of seats on BA RT from PHX to London on March 10 and back on March 18th? I still havent book yet but I am still watching for a sale since Christmas and price stayed the same. I need four seats. Thanks you for your help.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soldierguy
..... As things stand, you probably have the best chances of a good deal right now, with so much open.

Good luck.

Not sure what you mean: sale now is good deal or hold out for a sale? Thank you.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Not sure what you mean: sale now is good deal or hold out for a sale? Thank you.
The cheapest fare bucket (O) still shows as 9.

I would not wait. Fares invariably go up the closer to travel date and there are usually advance purchase requirements for the cheap fares.

Remember though that BA will not refund the difference if you buy now and the price goes down.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:29 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.