Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best use of BA miles for a round trip from SMF to PVG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Is it cheaper to go through directly from BA or a partner?

I checked the BA website and use the calculator here:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...b#CalculatePod

There are stops of SMF-LAX-PVG, requiring 4,500+30,000 avios.
To go through a partner, based on this chart
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

we need to pay 140,000x2=280,000 avios for an economy class international round trips ticket.

This is extremely high compared with other flyer programs, who usually charge 65k-70k points. Did I miss any points here?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You do not need to use the multi-partner "oneworld" award if a series of one-way awards is cheaper. In fact, if AA is the only carrier you will be flying SMF-LAX-PVG, you can't use the multi-partner oneworld award. But you are misreading the multi-partner award chart. The redemption rates given are for complete journeys using two or more BA partners. If you were to fly SMF-LAX-PVG-HKG-LAX-SMF (using AA and CX) your total flown mileage would be under 20,000 miles, so the award would cost 100K Avios in Coach. Since you can get SMF-LAX-PVG-LAX-SMF for 69K Avios, the multi-partner award would not be useful for you on this trip.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks guv. 69K Avios would be really cool.

In fact, I just need a round trip from SMF<->PVG,
depart in any day between Dec.10-14 and return in any day between Dec.26-Jan.8.

But when I checked BA.com, no routing is available for the returning trip including partners.
And I have Amex MR points, CO/United, and Chase ultimate reward points.

any tips?

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You do not need to use the multi-partner "oneworld" award if a series of one-way awards is cheaper. In fact, if AA is the only carrier you will be flying SMF-LAX-PVG, you can't use the multi-partner oneworld award. But you are misreading the multi-partner award chart. The redemption rates given are for complete journeys using two or more BA partners. If you were to fly SMF-LAX-PVG-HKG-LAX-SMF (using AA and CX) your total flown mileage would be under 20,000 miles, so the award would cost 100K Avios in Coach. Since you can get SMF-LAX-PVG-LAX-SMF for 69K Avios, the multi-partner award would not be useful for you on this trip.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Unfortunately, ba.com often has trouble displaying award-seat availability on AA flights, especially when connections are involved. Did you search for each leg individually, or did you just search for SMF-PVG?

If you can find "MileSAAver" award seats on aa.com for your desired dates, you should be able to obtain them with Avios, but may have to call the BAEC Service Center to do so. You'd also be looking at upwards of $400 in fuel surcharges and other fees on such a redemption.

If the only award seats available at aa.com are for AAnytime awards, then you are out of luck: only MileSAAver seats can be had with Avios points.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your information, guv.
Yes, I did checked AA.com for LAX-PVG and SFO-PVG, they don't have any "MileSAAver" award seats available in the early January.

Originally Posted by guv1976

Unfortunately, ba.com often has trouble displaying award-seat availability on AA flights, especially when connections are involved. Did you search for each leg individually, or did you just search for SMF-PVG?

If you can find "MileSAAver" award seats on aa.com for your desired dates, you should be able to obtain them with Avios, but may have to call the BAEC Service Center to do so. You'd also be looking at upwards of $400 in fuel surcharges and other fees on such a redemption.

If the only award seats available at aa.com are for AAnytime awards, then you are out of luck: only MileSAAver seats can be had with Avios points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.