FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Lloyds Avios credit cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1279751-lloyds-avios-credit-cards.html)

Raffles Mar 13, 2012 7:58 am

Tax - it is difficult to find a Visa or Mastercard today where the reward is high enough to justify the HMRC card fee of 1.4% (some people like me have old cards with high rewards which make it palatable).

However .... for corporate tax, the credit card fee to HMRC will be tax deductable. This may make some reward cards worth a look, although you need to do the maths.

PanGalactic Mar 13, 2012 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 18190796)
Tax - it is difficult to find a Visa or Mastercard today where the reward is high enough to justify the HMRC card fee of 1.4% (some people like me have old cards with high rewards which make it palatable).

However .... for corporate tax, the credit card fee to HMRC will be tax deductable. This may make some reward cards worth a look, although you need to do the maths.

Are there any USD based cards which give double points for foreign spend and no FX loading?

kpriestnal Mar 13, 2012 8:41 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22 (Post 18190744)
I don't think you should have directly asked them if it is 25 Avios per pound.
The correct way to calculate is that you receive base points 2.5 Avios per £ for foreign spending. You receive 9x your base points as a bonus during the promotion period.
Yes they didn't think this through, but best not to make it so obvious!

Well this promotion as been up and running for several months now and therefore lots of people would have foreign spend.
So I suppose it would be interesting to know if anyone had received they Avios and at what rate. Precedents have then been set.
I`ll post the outcome.

Olly- Mar 13, 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by kpriestnal (Post 18191116)
Well this promotion as been up and running for several months now and therefore lots of people would have foreign spend.
So I suppose it would be interesting to know if anyone had received they Avios and at what rate. Precedents have then been set.
I`ll post the outcome.

Other people have reported getting 25 Avios per £1 on foreign spend, but I don't know if this is intentional - pointing this out to them could mean they drop it to 12.5 (but knowing Lloyds I expect they won't).

mdj1 Mar 13, 2012 9:31 am

That's nothing. I got the bonus 9x on UK and Foreign Spend for the first two months and nothing for the 3rd month and they tell me I'm on the 10k bonus not the 10x

Work that one out!

I'm debating as to whether I should move all my Avios to my BA Avios just in case they try to take them back!

kpriestnal Mar 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Ok. Lloyds TSB Complaints Dept just rang me back as promised (8pm)

They confirm the 10x offer applies to all spend. They also confirmed that foreign spend is 2.5 Avios per pound x 9. They pointed out that the foreign spend is calculated less charges.

They are sending me a letter to confirm their conversation and compensating me the £50 initial card charge.

All I need now is the points in my Avios account and they will be transferred post haste.!

But I have to say very efficient complaints team. Incidently they did say that this problem affects some 400 customers and they were working through these manually.

PanGalactic Mar 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 18188648)
Hahaha, You guys are going to love this........

Just a little more icing on the cake for me here :)

When I made the payment to the hotel originally I had a "bonus accelerator" on the BAPP (you know the one where you say you want to cancel the card and they offer you 50% more points for 3 months).

The transaction earned me 1,291+646=1,937 avios.
The refund only took away 1,298
1937-1298=639 Avios :D Mwahahaha :D:D:D

Still waiting for the transaction to show on the LTSBPDA :rolleyes:

Olly- Mar 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 18194586)
Still waiting for the transaction to show on the LTSBPDA :rolleyes:

Perhaps it'll show up in a week's time?

PanGalactic Mar 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Olly- (Post 18194598)
Perhaps it'll show up in a week's time?

LOL, probably :)

My post above just reminded me, now that I have the 10k bonus for my own LTSBPDA safely in my grubby mitts, I need to call them tomorrow morning and see what happens when I tell them where they can shove it :D

I'll still tell them to shove it as I doubt they will offer me a deal better than the 10x Mrs P is on currently.

Maybe if they offer me >1 Avios per £ on the visa I'll consider keeping it a little longer.

Will post back the sordid details of the conversation here tomorrow, stay tuned! :)

poggs Mar 14, 2012 3:41 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22 (Post 18190133)
Yes. Until 29th March you get 10x the normal amount of Avios on spend. You must apply through Avios.com and you should not have held a Lloyds Airmiles or Avios card before.
If you read back through this thread most of the posts are about this promo!

Not always true.

I had an airmiles card way back in the nat west days. Then got and applied for the original lloyds airmiles card when natwest left. Closed the airmiles card last september when they jumped the APR to 29.9.

Then in January (only 4 months after closing the other one) applied for the PREMIER card. got it and getting the 12.5 miles per pound without chasing it or anything. It just works.

Im guessing that as I only had the standard card before, its sees my new premier as a totally new account and thus I'm OK.

So if you had one card before, apply for the other type (ie premier or normal) with this new promo and you might get the same result as me.

dark_horse Mar 14, 2012 3:44 am

It probably doesn't hurt to close the card account once you don't need it any more, either.

mdj1 Mar 14, 2012 3:45 am

Well pretty chuffed.

360,000 avios earn't from this promotion.

Would be good to hear if anyone has really rinsed it and got 7 figures.

Raffles Mar 14, 2012 4:18 am

Originally Posted by mdj1 (Post 18197507)
Well pretty chuffed.

360,000 avios earn't from this promotion.

Would be good to hear if anyone has really rinsed it and got 7 figures.

Actually in your account, or just due? :D

dddc Mar 14, 2012 4:18 am

Refunds during 10x promotion?

Has anyone had to do a refund during their promo period? And in particular a foreign spend one? Do you lose just the normal 1x miles or are they clever enough to work out you're on the bonus? Or that the miles were earned during the bonus?

Some travel I booked via an OS website has had it's timing changed too dramatically for me to use so need to cancel it. I've made alternative arrangements with a different company, but they billed me in GBP. The booking was is 100% refundable, so should I wait until my bonus period ends in 6 weeks before applying for a refund, although it will probably take them - the travel company, a month to process!

mdj1 Mar 14, 2012 4:34 am

Thankfully in the account!