FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Lloyds Avios credit cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1279751-lloyds-avios-credit-cards.html)

DYKWIA Feb 29, 2012 5:34 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 18101960)
The account number is indeed a load of zeros, the sort code is looks ok (it's the same as my internet banking used automatically) and you do put your account number as the reference, but I recommend that you try a small transfer first, say £10, to ensure that you do not accidentally pay another person's account.

Well, after paying off my balance, the available credit increase showed up almost immediately on the Lloyds site.

Now where are my freakin' 10x bonus points!

Cheers

britbronco22 Feb 29, 2012 6:10 am

Originally Posted by dark_horse (Post 18102276)
Having acquired a number of (usually AMEX) credit cards over the past year or so, I thought it might be time to start consolidating. And here's the funny thing: although we have all here jumped on the bandwagon with the intention of milking the Duo cards for all the Avios they're worth during the bonus period, I might actually keep mine.

Here are my reasons, which I invited the assembled company to pick apart ruthlessly ;):

• I have a Premium AMEX for the 2-4-1, which I will earn before year-end in in the summer.
  • However, what do you get for £150? A 2-4-1 and 50% extra Avios (ignoring the LTSB 2-4-1; I'm not blowing my hard-earned miles in economy!)
  • However, my Duo pays 1.5 Avios / £ anyway for the next year at a cost of £50 (minus a £25 refund, apparently).
  • OK, I might miss out on a few BA-related points at 3 Avios / £ but with my flying pattern that'll be worth about 300 Avios / month.
  • But here's the main thing: although I'm saving up Avios and 2-4-1 for a holiday, I simply don't have the total miles or redemption opportunities to make use of a second 2-4-1. If that changed, I could upgrade back to the Premium AMEX.
  • So, for £150 I would receive a 2-4-1 I'm unlikely to use, and about 3,600 Avios. Hardly worth it, surely?

Therefore, after earning the AMEX 2-4-1, I think I'm going to reduce that to a basic AMEX and continue with the LTSB as my main card until renewal next year.

What do you think of that logic?

The Lloyds Amex pays 1.25 Avios / £, not 1.5.

dark_horse Feb 29, 2012 6:54 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22 (Post 18102483)
The Lloyds Amex pays 1.25 Avios / £, not 1.5.

Fair point; thank you. So with some more back-of-a-fag-packet calculations that's ... £150 for a full-blown 2-4-1 I probably won't use and an extra 6,000 Avios. Oh, and insurance that is mostly covered by my usual travel policy.

PanGalactic Feb 29, 2012 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 18102157)
:eek: You mean they actually have one?

They do, and its actually not that bad either for business and personal.

The things I like about it are:
  • I can transfer money from my company to my personal account instantly.
  • Transfer money between my personal account and Mrs P's instantly.
  • We can both see our joint account on there.
  • Make bank transfers including international payments.
  • Make payments through the "faster payments" system which hit 3rd party
  • account within 2 hours if supported.
  • I can see my credit card account on there and transfer money to it with a couple of clicks.
  • Also, earlier this month my mortgage (which I have had for almost 6 years now) appeared on there for the first time too, which makes it very convenient for me to chip away at it if I have spare cash lying around.

The lack of detail and points earning info like the way Amex give it to you is annoying but not the end of the world, after all they are a bank, not a loyalty scheme :)

britbronco22 Feb 29, 2012 11:11 am

Originally Posted by dark_horse (Post 18102683)
Fair point; thank you. So with some more back-of-a-fag-packet calculations that's ... £150 for a full-blown 2-4-1 I probably won't use and an extra 6,000 Avios. Oh, and insurance that is mostly covered by my usual travel policy.

So how many extra miles does the extra 0.25 per £ earn you? (Above the 1 avios / £ rate from the free blue card). Is it worth the £50 for Lloyds?
In my view, you would have to spend £20k annually to justify the £50 fee. (an additional 5,000 Avios) Unless you value the Lloyds 2-4-1 economy voucher.

tangey Feb 29, 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by dark_horse (Post 18102304)
I'm fairly sure not, once it's on my BAEC page. The limitation I do know of is that the redemption has to be booked with an AMEX, and that may be an AMEX AMEX (rather than a LTSB AMEX) so I won't be cancelling it outright.

I have seen it suggested on some other threads that there is a technical requirement to show your BA pp card at the airport when using a 2-4-1. I dont think anyone has ever been caught out by this, but I'd need it to be set in stone somewhere before I'd cancel my pp card ( which I would probably be inclined to for similar reasons to yourself)

SpudGun Feb 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by tangey (Post 18104473)
I have seen it suggested on some other threads that there is a technical requirement to show your BA pp card at the airport when using a 2-4-1. I dont think anyone has ever been caught out by this, but I'd need it to be set in stone somewhere before I'd cancel my pp card ( which I would probably be inclined to for similar reasons to yourself)

Shifting down to the Standard BA Amex does not affect an accrued 2-4-1 in any way.

In Apr 2011 I clocked through my 10k spend barrier, and immediately downgraded. My voucher sat in my Exec account with an unchanged expiry of Apr 2013.

Recently booked and flew using the 2-4-1. Was able to use my BA Ordinary Amex to pay for it so no problem there.

I was not asked to show my amex card, but have been in the past when I booked 2-4-1 tickets so YMMV on that point.

kitbag1984 Feb 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Does a down grade give you a whole new credit card number?

dark_horse Mar 1, 2012 2:06 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 (Post 18108553)

Well, an upgrade did so you might presume that a downgrade would too.

But I don't know what would happen if you upgraded, then downgraded again! :)

Raffles Mar 1, 2012 3:15 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 (Post 18108553)

Even if it does, it presumably still links into the same account, so any refunds that went to the old number would flow through to the new account.

pommyboi Mar 2, 2012 5:29 am

Originally Posted by cmcbugg (Post 18096611)
Gift vouchers from stores you know you are going to shop at this year is another good way to bring some spend forward. My groceries for the rest of the year are going to be taking part in this promo.

Great idea. ^

Shopping at Tesco just got a lot more expensive with the 4x £50 gift cards purchased last night. I'm in my last month of the bonus points so I'm looking out for these ideas without bankrupting myself in the process

stifle Mar 2, 2012 6:57 am

I applied yesterday on the grounds that I might as well try it. Got the "we'll write to you to tell you whether your application was successful" message. Then I got an email today from Avios to the unique address that I gave on my application saying my Avios account details had been changed. (The email address Avios.com has for me is different; one of the advantages of owning my own domain.)

This sounds encouraging, although means I will have to get the two Avios.com accounts merged at some point, which might be a nuisance.

stifle Mar 2, 2012 7:06 am

And a quick visit to my Lloyds online banking (as I already have a current account) shows it is indeed approved, although with a rubbish credit limit. Not as rubbish as my Amex Express Rewards, mind. Now time to get an additional card for Mrs. stifle and check if the promo registered.

Olly- Mar 2, 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 18117066)
And a quick visit to my Lloyds online banking (as I already have a current account) shows it is indeed approved, although with a rubbish credit limit.

Sounds familiar!

Cap'n Benj Mar 2, 2012 7:14 am

My 9th or 10th call now to Lloyds, after another trip round the houses from the customer services team who put me through to Avios, who couldn't help, I remembered I had been given the LLoyds 'loyalty team' number and gave that a go.

Hallelujah! Finally someone who A. knew what they were talking about and B. gave a flying monkey's [insert 4 letter word of your choice here]!

Apparently Lloyds sent instruction to Avios to apply my bonus miles (the rough amount I expect) on the 8th of Feb but Avios have not yet applied it to my account, so sadly whilst one issue has been solved, it seems that another has opened!

The most excellent agent from Lloyds spoke to Avios to let them know the situation but I don't think there's any more they can do from this point and its a case of waiting and seeing when Avios add the points.

Next phone call will be in a week's time to Avios, I guess!