Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Training to help you survive

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ben Sherwood's The Survivors Club has a chapter on plane crashes. It's prompted me to think abut seat choise, and to practice the seat buckle release.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen

British Airways has revealed plans to offer passengers courses on how to survive plane crashes.
I wonder if they'll be advising passengers to make sure they sit within 5 rows of an aircraft exit, which seems to be standard advice now as I've read it many times, including in today's Sunday Times.

If so should they allow passengers to change their flight without penalty if they can't select such a seat?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I've always wonder why some parents are okay with their younger kids sitting away from them....wouldn't they want to be by their child(ren) in an emergency and can you imagine the panic they would feel when their child is in a seat away from them? Egads!

I must remember to ask someone to show me where the life vest is...I listen to the safety briefing but rarely check to find it. Silly moi! Thanks for the reminder.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by 'andad
If it's the course I did at BA Cranbrook, then it's great and very useful. Until you try it, you have no idea of the chaos that ensues in a cabin full of smoke, nor how heavy those overwing exit doors are, the ones you have to manipulate to the right angle and then eject through the door frame. Thoroughly recommend it for FF's, but think it might make the journey worse for those afraid of flying.
This will be the one (BTW it's "Cranebank" to be pedantic!)

http://www.ebaft.com/fsa/fsa.htm
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Another thing to note about a decompression is that on aircraft such as the A320 family, the 757 and 767, you will also start to smell burning just after the decent starts and people start putting on their oxygen masks... It is nothing to worry about, however, the oxygen is produced by chemical oxygen generators which get very hot, and over the months, dust builds up on them, and then burns when they get hot... Much like if you have had the central heating off all summer then the first time you switch it on for the winter, you get a slight "burning dust" smell... but it would be worse on the aircraft.

Also, you might well get a crew member in your lap. So, just make sure you squeeze them tight and don't let them go till they ask you too...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by bealine
This will be the one (BTW it's "Cranebank" to be pedantic!)

http://www.ebaft.com/fsa/fsa.htm
Thanks for that link bealine, and all of the useful info from those that have posted so far...

I would definitely be up for giving this a go, however, it appears that courses require 20-40 people to run...Not sure if they simply run enough courses to load individuals or if you need to form a group to get the numbers...

Sounds like a great excuse for a BA FT DO? A day experiencing this with fellow FT'ers and then a drink or two in the evening to discuss and have a laugh...

Anyone else interested?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS & Aeroplan Red, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honours, Hertz Gold, GHA Discovery Platinum
Originally Posted by BA304
Don't come along with all your common sense Yahillwe. There's no place for that here.

(By the way VS does in J and maybe other airlines do too)
United have an over-the-shoulder strap that clips onto the waist belt buckle in F (certainly on the long haul 744s)

I'd be up for a course...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
So, just make sure you squeeze them tight and don't let them go till they ask you too...
Sound advice for many situations. ^
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Sounds like a good use for some of my BA miles (Avios pending). How about it BA ?

With a special deal for BAEC and FT members of course.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks for that link bealine

Anyone else interested?
definitely!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
This sounds like the course that was discussed here a few years ago - well, at some point in the last 10 years I've been on here! I thought it was cheaper back then too.

During that discussion there was also a nice little rumour going round that if you did this course, it would be noted on your BA file and when you'd make a booking, you'd automatically be given the exit row seats, iirc. That was before the days of paid seat selection of course, so it might not hold true any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.