Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

South America with BA miles, booking before Nov 15th.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott

Okay so i've booked my trip down to south America, it is all in biz on LAN with the following route and a stop in each city.

JFK-LIM-EZE-SCL-IPC

(this is already booked).

I need to go from IPC to MPN, and then hit as many cities as possible on my way back up to the USA. I understand it's probably better to create two separate awards.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 8:04 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
you have to go thru scl or lim
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Very sensible strategy booking your redemptions as one ways. Methodical and practical given the few days that remain between now and Bronze Wednesday. I must congratulate you on your sense of adventure. Easter Island to the Falkland Islands is as eclectic as it gets ^

Please do let us know how you get on
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:55 am
Original Poster

They are showing nothing from IPC - MPN

I think she just doesn't know what she was doing, so i'm trying to search the individual segments myself, the routing's i'm looking at are

IPC - SCL - MPN
IPC - SCL - PUQ - MPN

Are you saying IPC - LIM - MPN is also a valid route?

Thanks for the input!

p.s. I booked the first segment a month ago, just haven't had a chance to get the rest booked yet.

Now i'm also looking to book South America to Asia, if possible with a stopover in Europe (even if @ LHR).
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Now i'm also looking to book South America to Asia, if possible with a stopover in Europe (even if @ LHR)."

If at all possible, try to begin the South America-Asia award in Brazil. You'll avoid the fuel surcharge on the GRU/GIG-LHR segment -- and maybe even on the LHR-Asia segment -- but you will be hit with the UK APD and the LHR PSC.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Why would I be avoiding the fuel surcharges (because i'm flying LAN instead of BA? That doesn't work for me as I want to fly first not biz).

Also how many miles does it cost to fly from south america to asia vs from america to asia?

And more importantly is a stop allowed in london?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:37 am
Original Poster

From the looks of their award chart if i use BA + 1 partner its 300k miles in first for a trip from South America to Asia?

That's crazy!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by joesmoe
Why would I be avoiding the fuel surcharges (because i'm flying LAN instead of BA? That doesn't work for me as I want to fly first not biz).

Also how many miles does it cost to fly from south america to asia vs from america to asia?

And more importantly is a stop allowed in london?
Fuel surcharges are not imposed on awards that originate in Brazil. (I believe that may be because of Brazilian law.) If you're going to an Asian destination served by BA, you would not need a BA + 1 partner award: you could do an all-BA award from Brazil to Asia, with a free stopover in LON. You should be able to price and book such an itinerary (with the stopover) on ba.com.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:17 am
Original Poster

From what i'm seeing @ ba.com though it appears it would be 140k miles in F? That doesn't seem right though (seems way too high).
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what i'm seeing @ ba.com though it appears it would be 140k miles in F? That doesn't seem right though (seems way too high).
Did you actually log in to your BAEC account and do a test award booking from Brazil to Asia, selecting the LHR stopover option? That's the best way to price the award. (And 140K does not necessarily sound high, but it can't be correct, since BA F awards cost exactly three times the cost of an equivalent Y award; AFAIK, BA does not offer any Y awards for 46,667 miles.)

Also, check to make sure that F is actually offered on the flight out of Brazil. I think F is offered out of GRU, but might not be offered out of GIG.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Also, would this be a valid routing from SA to the US for 40k in biz?

Buenos Ares - Bogota - Caracas - JFK

I see all those as cities LAN operates out of, but am not sure if that routing would be permitted or not.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, would this be a valid routing from SA to the US for 40k in biz?

Buenos Ares - Bogota - Caracas - JFK

I see all those as cities LAN operates out of, but am not sure if that routing would be permitted or not.
That could not be your actual award itinerary, as LAN does not offer direct service on all of the individual segments.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Where other than LIM does LAN fly from South America to US from?

Preferably to JFK, but SFO or anywhere in the US would be fine.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Would

EZE - LIM - BOG - MIA be permitted? That wouldn't require any back tracking, so i think it would be technically direct enough?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would

EZE - LIM - BOG - MIA be permitted? That wouldn't require any back tracking, so i think it would be technically direct enough?
Maybe. You'd have to call the BAEC Service Center and try your luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.