Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I 'book and upgrade' an AA domestic with BA miles online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I 'book and upgrade' an AA domestic with BA miles online?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by golfmad
Are you using Expertflyer (or something similar) to check? (I'm trying to follow you through on this and learn in the process...)
Yup, that's exactly what I use. You can use different functions on there for revenue inventories, award inventories and fare information. In the case of A inventory upgrades, it will be the same whether running a revenue or award inventory query.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Try to find a W fare. This is a mid-priced economy ticket on AA, though it was undoubtedly included since this is full-fare WT+ on BA. It'll still be expensive but typically far less than Y or B. You may have to call in order to do this, though.
ba.com says:
*Eligible booking classes are as follows:
British Airways: J, C, D, R, I, W, E, T, Y, B, H
American Airlines and Iberia: J, C, D, Y, B
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
There is often very little difference in price between an upgradable economy fare and a KUP.

On a recently booked itinerary the KUP (instant upgrade fare) was $20 more each way than the upgradable economy fare. On another flight on the same day the KUP was $50 less each way.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And in the detailed conditions of use it says:
3.Miles for Upgrade on BAAAIB Flights are permitted on eligible published fares only (Fare classes are: J, C, D, W, Y, B).
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...sl=upgradeaaib
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska

Yes, it seems there is a bit of conflicting information out there... I'd get clarification from BA before booking that W fare then, since it's likely non-refundable and more expensive than the cheapest economy fare.

I should add that if you don't mind 2.5hrs in the car and can drive to RSW (Ft. Meyers), then the price of a KUP is cut in half.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Yes, it seems there is a bit of conflicting information out there... I'd get clarification from BA before booking that W fare then, since it's likely non-refundable and more expensive than the cheapest economy fare.
Yep, will do, thanks.

I should add that if you don't mind 2.5hrs in the car and can drive to RSW (Ft. Meyers), then the price of a KUP is cut in half.
Intriguing. I'll check that out too, thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I had it in my mind using miles for upgrade on AA flights was prohibitively expensive. I've been proven wrong having booked an EDI-LHR-ORD-DTW T class fare this weekend before the sale closed. Routing through to DTW on BA code/AA metal worked out £40 more than terminating at ORD. The ORD-DTW flights booked into B class and thus are eligible for MFU. Slight fly in the ointment moment came upon realisation AA's service between ORD and DTW is now exclusively single class on American Eagle. Still, one to remember for the future.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
I had it in my mind using miles for upgrade on AA flights was prohibitively expensive. I've been proven wrong having booked an EDI-LHR-ORD-DTW T class fare this weekend before the sale closed. Routing through to DTW on BA code/AA metal worked out £40 more than terminating at ORD. The ORD-DTW flights booked into B class and thus are eligible for MFU. Slight fly in the ointment moment came upon realisation AA's service between ORD and DTW is now exclusively single class on American Eagle. Still, one to remember for the future.
That will likely happen whenever you book a BA/AA combo, with a BA flight # on all flights, because a WT+ fare is considered the same as a full fare economy ticket which is what it will pair with assuming this is all being done as one fare vs. just sticking two fares together to make a complete trip. I believe this is why whenever I book cheap KUP fares on AA that have a single-class AE segment that's part of the fare component I get them booking as Y inventory, not something much cheaper.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
3. Miles for Upgrade on BAAAIB Flights are permitted on eligible published fares only (Fare classes are: J, C, D, W, Y, B).
Good spot! Clarification on that would indeed be good.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: Ba Bronze, AMEX Plat, CX Gold, HH Gold
I tried this for a booking MIA- LAS and was told you can only upgrade with miles for AA transatlantic, not AA internal. This was on the telephone to BAEC customer services.

Mick
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by mickt
I tried this for a booking MIA- LAS and was told you can only upgrade with miles for AA transatlantic, not AA internal. This was on the telephone to BAEC customer services.

Mick
With whom did you book that reservation, BA, AA or a travel agent/third party website?

I wonder if they were misinterpreting #5 from the EC T&C:

"Miles for Upgrade can only be applied to bookings which are made in the member's Executive Club membership country."

My read is that if you reside in the UK you must book in the UK, regardless of the O/D of the flight. Perhaps her interpretation is that the flight must originate/terminate in the member's home country?

Or perhaps the location from which you booked actually makes you ineligible based on your address on file w/BA (such as if you're a former "Euro Cheat" actually booking from the US/UK?).

Last edited by Upgraded!; Nov 10, 2011 at 12:40 pm
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:43 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by HilFly
There is often very little difference in price between an upgradable economy fare and a KUP.

On a recently booked itinerary the KUP (instant upgrade fare) was $20 more each way than the upgradable economy fare. On another flight on the same day the KUP was $50 less each way.
In the OP's case, the difference would be substantial (and not in a good way) as the lowest Upgrade-eligible Full Economy Fare (YA2AAD) is actually ~$750 USD more expensive than the lowest xUP Discounted First Class Fare (KA7UPPMR):

[KVS Availability Tool 6.7.0/Diamond - Sabre: Fares/TVN/CA-STD]
Code:
TPA  Tampa Intl FL US [KTPA]
CHI  Chicago Metro IL US = ORD MDW
R/T  Nov 2011 - Oct 2012

Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur   AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis/TD | Travel Period
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  ---  -----------------------------
AA         TPA     CHI       227   USD    10 Days            OA10EQD1        14 Nov-14 Feb
AA         TPA     CHI       274   USD    14 Days            QA14ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       309   USD    14 Days            NA14ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       353   USD    14 Days            SA14ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       403   USD    14 Days            GA14ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       466   USD        ***            GA00ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       531   USD     7 Days            VA07ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       576   USD        ***            VA00ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       613   USD     7 Days            WA07ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       707   USD     7 Days            LA07ERD1
AA         TPA     CHI       772   USD        ***            LA00ERD5
AA         TPA     CHI       938   USD        ***            MA00ERD5
AA         TPA     CHI      1089   USD        ***            KA00ERD5
AA         TPA     CHI      1594   USD        ***            HA00ERDR
AA         TPA     CHI      1602   USD     7 Days            KA7UPPMR
AA         TPA     CHI      1698   USD        ***            KA0UPPMR
AA         TPA     CHI      2354   USD        ***            YA0UPAMR
AA         TPA     CHI      2376   USD        ***            YA2AAD
AA         TPA     CHI      2505   USD        ***            Y
AA         TPA     CHI      2648   USD        ***            J
AA         TPA     CHI      2675   USD        ***            FA2AA
AA         TPA     CHI      3496   USD        ***            F
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:30 am

Programs: Ba Bronze, AMEX Plat, CX Gold, HH Gold
Upgraded, I spoke to BAEC in the UK. It was part of a trip we are doing next year, BA said I could book with miles, 75,000 for 2 people in first, or cash but that there was no way of booking and upgrading an AA internal flight. I did what you have to do with BAEC and telephoned three times to speak to somebody different, and they all told me the same, which was amazing in itself!

In the end we booked an instant upgrade with AA on their website, they were cheaper than BA by about £20 each because of booking fee. It actually worked out cheaper than booking an economy fare that was upgradable by USD230 each, so was not a problem in the end for us.

Mick
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Apologies for bumping this old thread but I have a closely related question for the cognoscenti that didn't seem to merit a thread of its own.

Having established (from this helpful thread) that MFU-ing an AA domestic using Avios was possible I have just been looking into doing just this. I have a MAN-LHR-JFK-SFO return booking in February. The booking was made at ba.com as a Premium Economy ticket. The JFK-SFO-JFK transcons are booked into B class.

I just used the Avios redemption tool to check and there is a business class redemption seat available on my JFK-SFO sector. MMB does not allow me modify this ticket and so I have just called BA who tell me that there is no MFU availability for this sector.

I was surprised that, despite there being an Avios redemption business class seat on this flight, I was unable to MFU to the same class. I understand that I cannot MFU a super-cheapo economy ticket but I'm booked into B class which I thought was OK. Similarly I thought that redemption availability was an accurate indicator of MFU availability but it doesn't appear to be so in this case. Any thoughts on why I cannot MFU this AA domestic? Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by timezonehopper
I just used the Avios redemption tool to check and there is a business class redemption seat available on my JFK-SFO sector.
Sorry to be pedantic, but it is business class that you are looking for or is this AA domestic F? Also, are agents looking for right availablility? J or F?

You know the rule, phone again and see what happens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.