Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can't use BA Amex Card to Pay for BA Seats - ...!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:06 am
formerly Bryce Curdy
Original Poster

I've always resented having to pay a credit card surcharge for using a BA branded credit card to pay for BA flights but today's experience trumps that.

I decided (foolishly or otherwise) to spend £160 to book CW upper deck seats for our return fight from Sao Paulo. I could only pay using Visa or Mastercard! Utterly ridiculous! Why promote a card promising 3 airmiles per pound spent if you can't use the bloody thing? Tempted to ask for a refund of the £150 fee.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Bryce Curdy
I've always resented having to pay a credit card surcharge for using a BA branded credit card to pay for BA flights but today's experience trumps that.

I decided (foolishly or otherwise) to spend £160 to book CW upper deck seats for our return fight from Sao Paulo. I could only pay using Visa or Mastercard! Utterly ridiculous! Why promote a card promising 3 airmiles per pound spent if you can't use the bloody thing? Tempted to ask for a refund of the £150 fee.
Strange, i used my BA AMEX PP card when buying seats for a friend only the other month.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think this has been discussed before in the context of booking flights - there are some restrictions on which cards can be used, based on flight departure/destination airports.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:39 am
formerly Bryce Curdy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I think this has been discussed before in the context of booking flights - there are some restrictions on which cards can be used, based on flight departure/destination airports.
Thank you for this information, and apologies if I should have spotted it previously, but at the same time it is utterly ridiculous and embarassing.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Thank you for this information, and apologies if I should have spotted it previously, but at the same time it is utterly ridiculous and embarassing.
Totally agree,

is this just an online problem or could you phone and pre book your seats using your amex over the phone ?

cs
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I have used my BA Amex card to pay for seats before
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
I have used my BA Amex card to pay for seats before
Yep me to.Only last week
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:09 am

No need to apologise and it might not be this since it was seat bookings. Can you share what the journey was?

The only time I've had a problem using my BA Amex with BA was on a flight to Orlando when I couldn't pay for my on board Duty Free with it (had to use a Mastercard in the end after trying to get payment through on both mine and my wife's card on both onboard card machines). The cabin staff even said they had never seen a BA Amex before. Very strange experience, but it was ex LGW.

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
I have used the AMEX to book seats and also had problems doing so, I think sometimes it might be a system thing. For what it's worth on the occasion it was not available as an option it was a flight from GRU, although I have used it on flights to-from GRU as well.

Am I right in stating that AMEX was not a card type that you could select rather than it was declined.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:26 am
formerly Bryce Curdy
Original Poster

This was originally a miles redemption and Amex companion voucher booking flying into Buenos Aires and returning from Sao Paulo, both legs in CW. I have not been in CW upper deck for a number of years and decided to pay the seat booking fee for the return leg (the outward journey is not in a 747). The payment options were restricted to MasterCard and Visa, no Amex!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I suspect if you were to buy seats for both the outward and inbound legs, the Amex option would appear as you would be paying the UK office. Strange that the seat payment on just the inbound leg is being taken from Sao Paolo rather than from the UK. That would be why the Amex option does not appear.

Out of interest, have you checked that you are on the UK BA website rather than the Brazil BA website.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:31 am

This was originally a miles redemption and Amex companion voucher booking flying into Buenos Aires and returning from Sao Paulo, both legs in CW. I have not been in CW upper deck for a number of years and decided to pay the seat booking fee for the return leg (the outward journey is not in a 747). The payment options were restricted to MasterCard and Visa, no Amex!
Sounds like it was the same as BicesterTerrier, and its GRU related.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Sounds like it was the same as BicesterTerrier, and its GRU related.
I've had this before when buying a ticket for someone else from GRU.

They'll take the Amex card over the phone - for some reason the website doesn't offer it as an option when your start point is GRU - probably some anti fraud thing or just a weird quirk of the system.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
I had the very same problem earlier in the year. The Amex option was just not there. For the life of me though I can't remember how I resolved it but I know I used my Amex in the end.

I'll see if I can find the thread as I seem to remember posting a screen shot to prove the point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.