Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA OR BA Points...Need your help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Elite on AA will be very beneficial when you are on those $300 fares to Florida or whenever for a quick weekend, as you'll be able to upgrade for basically free (completely free if AA emerald, using segment upgrades earned from all her business flying if AA sapphire or ruby). And as an AA emerald unlimited lounge access is 50,000 miles first year/40,000 renewal or $350 first year/$300 renewal.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:55 am

Definitely AA- especially with all the chaos surrounding Avios and the future of the single-partner award chart, not to mention the fuel surcharges.

AA also has some good non-alliance partners- Jet, Etihad, Air Tahiti Nui, Gulf Air etc.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Paulchili
I did not mean J on AA - I meant getting J awards with AA miles vs with BA miles (on CX, QF, JL, etc)
FWIW, domestic F on AA is equivalent to but FAR superior to CE on US domestic flights vs intra European flights.
Ah okay, that would make more sense.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Status on AA does not get you lounge access when flying AA domestically; status on BA does.
There seems to be some confusion amongst AA check-in and lounge staff about this. I fly AA quite a bit and am BA gold. Some AA staff say that lounge access is only allowed on BA gold if travelling on AA internationally. I've never been turned away at the Admirals Club but I do usually get the line 'it's not really allowed but go on in this time...'.

Can someone clarify the true position on this?

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:53 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by golfmad
There seems to be some confusion amongst AA check-in and lounge staff about this. I fly AA quite a bit and am BA gold. Some AA staff say that lounge access is only allowed on BA gold if travelling on AA internationally. I've never been turned away at the Admirals Club but I do usually get the line 'it's not really allowed but go on in this time...'.

Can someone clarify the true position on this?

Thanks
Some AA staff are mistaken. Print this out and have it in your possession if you get grief: http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...worldCustomers
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Some AA staff are mistaken. Print this out and have it in your possession if you get grief: http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...worldCustomers
I think it's this line from that link that causes them the confusion:

"* AAdvantage Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members must be traveling on a same day itinerary that includes an international segment."

They are trying to apply this criteria to BA gold/silver members which if I read it correctly should not be the case.

Thanks

PS. If all else fails I just noticed that my Amex card gets me access if I have an AA ticket
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the great information! I failed to mention that we both have Amex Plat so lounge access is not an issue. From what I am reading here AA is the way to go. For me I would like the abililty to book our seats early on our international trips and for her I would like her to earn the ability to get upgraded. Sounds like an AA membership should work.

Now how to I determine if she should challenge for gold or plat on AA? She has four roundtrip flights booked already in the next 3 months. Two are to Montogomery AL (from San Diego via Dallas) and two are to Houston (via Dallas).

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by radelow
Wow! Thanks for all the great information! I failed to mention that we both have Amex Plat so lounge access is not an issue. From what I am reading here AA is the way to go. For me I would like the abililty to book our seats early on our international trips and for her I would like her to earn the ability to get upgraded. Sounds like an AA membership should work.

Now how to I determine if she should challenge for gold or plat on AA? She has four roundtrip flights booked already in the next 3 months. Two are to Montogomery AL (from San Diego via Dallas) and two are to Houston (via Dallas).

Thanks!
What's the booking inventory on those four tickets?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
What's the booking inventory on those four tickets?
Shoot I don't know that...but I will check. Also I know is that they were all fully flexible cancellable tickets.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
You might wish to consider flipping over to the AA Forum despite us being a friendlier bunch here.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by radelow
Shoot I don't know that...but I will check. Also I know is that they were all fully flexible cancellable tickets.
Well, in that case, here's what I know: they will earn at least 1.0 elite qualifying points per flown mile. So with a total of 1174x8 + 616x4 + 233x4 the minimum she'll earn is 12,820 points, more than enough for PLT. If the fares are Y or B fares, then it's 1.5x flown miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.