Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I buy a MFU for this flight? One agent says yes, the other no :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

So I just got off a frustrating call with BAEC line in the US. I'm trying to book the following flight:

LHR --> HKG
BOM --> LHR

in WTP and MFU to J. I cant do this on the website because I cant do multi-city trip online and MFU.
yesterday, I was told they could make it work as a return ticket and it would cost $1800
The agent I spoke to today said they would have to price it as two one way tickets, making it come in around $3000 and flat out refused to believe I was telling the truth about previous call

Now; if I go to .com I can get a price for the fare in WTP for about $1300.

My question(s) :
If I buy the WTP ticket online, will I be able to MFU online after (and any idea how much extra?)
If not, is there someone who knows if I can indeed do what I'm after?
For bonus points - anyone know if I can buy WTP and MFU to F?

Cheers!!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
If you buy an upgradable WT+ ticket and there is Club redemption availability, you can upgrade each sector independently after purchase.

You can't MFU twice, so no to your First proposal.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the quick reply!

Looks like online is the way to go then
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
I think that, if you buy online and then MFU, you will end up paying a change fee. So perhaps best to try to 'book and upgrade' simultaneously over the phone one more time.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Additional issue here - where is your account based? In theory, you can only MFU tickets issued in your own country. If you book the itinerary you mentioned online it will undoubtedly be ticketed in the UK but you mention calling the US line which suggests to me your account is presumably US-based. If so, the call centre may refuse to MFU your ticket for that reason alone. Last but not least, MFU is of course subject to the availability of reward seats (it is the same bucket) on your flight and your ticket being booked directly with BA.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Additional issue here - where is your account based? In theory, you can only MFU tickets issued in your own country. If you book the itinerary you mentioned online it will undoubtedly be ticketed in the UK but you mention calling the US line which suggests to me your account is presumably US-based. If so, the call centre may refuse to MFU your ticket for that reason alone. Last but not least, MFU is of course subject to the availability of reward seats (it is the same bucket) on your flight and your ticket being booked directly with BA.
BA certainly have a way of making things overcomplicated (even their own agents seem to get confused sometimes navigating that maze). Apart from the potential complications mentioned by orbitmic, there is also the issue of zones. Up through November 15 you would not be allowed to MFU your kind of open jaw itinerary even if the ticket were issued in your home base country, because HKG and BOM are in different zones. Hence, the agent who told you that s/he would have to issue you with two one-way tickets was correct.

Post November 16 -- if I've understood things correctly -- you should be able to MFU on a per-sector basis, irrespective of zones.

Last edited by husseinbadr; Oct 28, 2011 at 4:52 am Reason: last part of message deleted -- it was irrelevant & confusing
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
BA should really change the rule about only MFUing tickets issued in your own country - like the rule about only speaking to your 'home' call centre - it's not really feasible in a world where some of us live in and book from more than one country.

BA is a global company, and I think any BAEC office should be able to MFU any sector of any ticket for which you have the points and BA has redemption seats available.

Considering the demise of euro-thresholds, I think that BA should be looking at making the BAEC experience the same wherever you are based and making sure no-one is disadvantaged by location.

I would like to see BA introduce MFU without restriction for country of issue/ticketing - and on open jaw bookings. I also think all BAEC call centres should be integrated such that BAEC call centres worldwide, no matter where you are based, can assist with your query - which would allow 24/7 service, something that a global airline should be offering.

Last edited by wyvern; Oct 28, 2011 at 6:06 am
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Additional issue here - where is your account based? In theory, you can only MFU tickets issued in your own country..
I believe you can MFU any ticket at the time of booking. The problem is when trying to upgrade it at a later date.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wyvern
I would like to see BA introduce MFU without restriction for country of issue/ticketing - and on open jaw bookings.
This is possible but you cannot do it online which is a pain. I would like them to fix that so you don't have to call in. Between that and making sure miles post correctly would reduce the need to call in to the sub-standard non-UK call centres.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

So I managed to do this by calling the UK BAEC line, explaining what I was trying to do, and then while keeping the agent on the phone buying the trip online. He then went in and immediately MFU'd the trip, charging me separately for the extra tax.

Certainly an unorthodox way to achieve it, but the call centre agent was sympathetic and super helpful...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.