Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

...the hell is going on with JFK Terraces? [age restrictions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

...the hell is going on with JFK Terraces? [age restrictions]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by mikey2124
I think that is ridiculous... I got access to the lounges in JER and in LGW yesterday and I am only 16, didn't get asked for ID or anything and I don't exactly look much older than my age!
Because Americans are scared of alcohol. Europeans are not. It's the reverse of the situation with guns.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by origin
I am sure that you are right about the ID. However they would have known from your BAEC card & your flight details.
Why did they allow me access then?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Originally Posted by dark_horse
Because Americans are scared of alcohol. Europeans are not. It's the reverse of the situation with guns.
Gins don't kill people, people do.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Which is neither here nor there to be honest. It also has nothing to do with BA but with US law which - indeed - is quite happy to send people to war but won't allow them to drink or smoke.
The age to purchase tobacco in the States is 18.

Originally Posted by dark_horse
Because Americans are scared of alcohol.
More accurately, the lobbying bloc of an organization called Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Until about ~25 years ago the individual States set their own minimum drinking age. The National Minimum Drinking Age Act effectively mandated that all States legislate the age to 21, or suffer the consequences of a reduction in Federal highway funds income.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Your point?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
To really put this in perspective there are thousands dying of famine every week in the Horn of Africa.
In terms of news coverage...

1 western death = 10 eastern block deaths = 100 asian deaths = 1000 indian deaths = 10000 african deaths.

Sad but true.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
My son, 15, was recently denied access at LGW Terraces. Plus most people say he looks at least 18 (he is even served alcohol freely on many airlines including BA and BD).
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Different countries have their own policies and laws. In the UK the law is a little more flexible. The US have tighter laws then the UK does.

Or maybe the lounge assistant didnt think the OP was dessed or looked okay for the lounge.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by the810
There is no US law that forbids Under-21's to enter lounge. They cannot serve them alcohol, but solution would be to change alcohol rules (for example, introducing bar attendant who would check IDs), not prevent them from entering lounge at all.
I thought there was a state law in NY that prohibited unaccompanied under-21s from entering a self service bar. It's only what I have been told previously which may of course be inaccurate.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:24 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by dera
How would it help? First lounge has unmanned bar as well?
CCR has waiter service.

I'm sure there is somewhere in the terms and conditions that prohibits lounge use by under-21s in the US but BA/CX should make more of an effort to provide what seems like a published benefit by providing an attendant in these cases. Surely there are unaccompanied under-21s all the time?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RDinJER
So how would this work if you had a 20 year old in J on a sleeper service??

Simply eat the limited onboard offering or go hungry?
Choices:
1. Eat onboard
2. Go to another lounge (carrier will generally acommodate) which does not provide self-service liquor.
3. Pick something up at the airport
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
As someone also under 21, I have never had trouble at any US one world lounge, whether it's admirals club or any of the BA lounges. At admirals clubs they give me the vouchers for alcohol, I don't think there's anyway to check the age bar a passport so it must be new. I know the uk lounges have an 18 rule, but I'm 17 and never been stopped
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by N965VJ
19 in NJ
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Choices:
1. Eat onboard
2. Go to another lounge (carrier will generally acommodate) which does not provide self-service liquor.
3. Pick something up at the airport

None of the above make for a premium experience, 1 & 2 would defeat the whole principle of the sleeper service concept

1. Only a limited "Snack type" menu on a SS Departure.
2. Pre Flight dining wouldnt be an option then.
3. For a business class pax on BA's flagship route? - Seriously?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Many moons ago I've was almost screamed "Stop" at by a lady who had just served the family lunch at a small takeout cafe in Massachusetts because I had picked up the unopened can of Coors my dad had ordered for lunch. I was going to help carry out the food to the table outside when she yelled, as I was only 20 and therefore not allowed to hold the unopened can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.